Who are you voting for in the mayoral primary?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Who are you voting for in the mayoral primary?

Satya Rhodes-Conway
32%
Paul R. Soglin
37%
Nick Hart
11%
Raj Shukla
11%
Mo Cheeks
5%
Write In
5%

Total votes: 19

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Who are you voting for in the mayoral primary?

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:42 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:16 pm

Raj Shukla has a lot of media presence. I've even seen ads pop up when I played Words Among Friends. Ms Vilas saw his donor list. Many family members. They must have a bunch of money to spend.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:59 pm

are there more general-purpose debates before 19. february? in my opinion cheeks won the one above . . .
Last edited by gozer on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:09 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Raj Shukla has a lot of media presence. I've even seen ads pop up when I played Words Among Friends. Ms Vilas saw his donor list. Many family members. They must have a bunch of money to spend.

Is this wrong somehow? I ask because you've mentioned it before. I just received what appears to be a costly mailing from the Cheeks campaign. They must have a lot of money.
Is this just an idle observation, or a Bad Thing? Because other than Soglin, whose path through the primary is pretty much assured, the others have to spend, and spend now or they'll be an afterthought after February 19th.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:46 pm

I'm not convinced Soglin's path through the primary is certain. I talk with a lot of younger people, and not one has said she or he will vote for Soglin. They don't hate him. They just aren't interested in him.

(They find it hilarious that I attended Soglin's first inauguration party at the old Lorraine Hotel. It might as well have been during World War II.)

It's hard to unseat an incumbent -- especially one who hasn't made some huge misstep -- but a lot depends on who shows up to vote. I don't believe you can count on a preponderance of baby boomer voters in this primary.

We'll see.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:50 pm

gargantua wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Raj Shukla has a lot of media presence. I've even seen ads pop up when I played Words Among Friends. Ms Vilas saw his donor list. Many family members. They must have a bunch of money to spend.

Is this wrong somehow? I ask because you've mentioned it before. I just received what appears to be a costly mailing from the Cheeks campaign. They must have a lot of money.
Is this just an idle observation, or a Bad Thing? Because other than Soglin, whose path through the primary is pretty much assured, the others have to spend, and spend now or they'll be an afterthought after February 19th.

I'd rather see someone with broad support, not just someone with a bunch of family money financing his/her campaign.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:56 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
gargantua wrote:

I'd rather see someone with broad support, not just someone with a bunch of family money financing his/her campaign.

Fair enough. I didn't know that was the case. If I like the candidate in other respects, I'd weigh that, but in itself it wouldn't keep me from voting for them.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:28 am

Soglin spends a lot of time flying out of here. I want someone who's paying attention 24/7. I also don't like big vanity projects. JDS and the Public Market=waste. Give someone eight years in office and they'll ignore the real problems and build a monument to themselves. We stopped Dave's trolley, but Soglin seems to be pushing the Public Market through. My punishment is to vote for someone else. I do like that Soglin is behind more affordable housing, but that's on everyone's list, and anyone else would be around 24/7 to deal with any of the problems that surface.

So, I'm still looking. I like Raj's TV spot, but is there anything there besides a great ad firm? SRC is probably competent, and she would actually stay in town!!! Mo-mentum? Not sure. He's got a big social media presence, and I've been getting emails from him for a decade.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:33 am

oodles of family money partially inoculates them against "special interests", no? . . . like "nobody's senator but yours" back in the day?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:45 am

Donald wrote:Soglin spends a lot of time flying out of here. I want someone who's paying attention 24/7. I also don't like big vanity projects. JDS and the Public Market=waste. Give someone eight years in office and they'll ignore the real problems and build a monument to themselves. We stopped Dave's trolley, but Soglin seems to be pushing the Public Market through.

I'm told by some city employees involved with the public market project that big donor money for the market is lined up. I was not told who the donor(s) were, so my mind is searching the "usual suspects" files. I'd like to know. This isn't anything nefarious, but it slides control of the project away from the public sector. Maybe it should be a private sector project in the first place, but that won't happen because chances of success without endless subsidy are slight.

Private donor money doesn't mean the city won't still be paying for a lot of it (the city already is, in terms of planning and evaluation of the structure to be converted to a market). What it does mean is commitments have been made, which will make the project hard to roll back or scale down. Electing Soglin pretty much means it'll go forward; electing somebody else provides at least a chance the city will spend parts of the public funding on something more universally useful (transit? floodwater management? climate change adjustments?), beneficial for underserved citizens (community centers?), and less likely to draw customers away from existing businesses (like existing grocery stores,, other food businesses, and fresh food markets).

I will be listening closely to what the other candidates have to say about this vanity project.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:55 am

gozer wrote:oodles of family money partially inoculates them against "special interests", no?

One name comes to mind: Donald Trump.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:59 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
gozer wrote:oodles of family money partially inoculates them against "special interests", no?

One name comes to mind: Donald Trump.

he is his own special interest . . . "i'm not crazy -- i just don't give a fuck . . ."

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:47 pm

If millennials show up to vote (and that's a might big if) Raj Shukla will make it past the primary.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:21 pm

I personally wouldn't assume he'd get a larger share of millennials than Satya. But I can't say I have a better sense of that than anyone else.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:59 am

gargantua wrote:Ms. Pettaway was unable to get on the ballot, and Brenda Konkel had to drop out. That's why the field is smaller.

This has Pettaway as a candidate but not Hart. Did someone punch Soglin in the nose?:

https://www.channel3000.com/news/meet-t ... 1004199746

Return to “Local Politics & Government”