Who are you voting for in the mayoral primary?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Satya Rhodes-Conway
38%
Paul R. Soglin
44%
Nick Hart
6%
Raj Shukla
6%
Mo Cheeks
No votes
Write In
6%

Total votes: 16

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:02 pm

Only five choices. I was expecting more.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Who are you voting for in the mayoral primary?

Postby gozer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:08 pm

me too - only five? I thought the great thing about this election in particular was going to be 20+ candidates and some really loud ones too as well as essentially the entire political spectrum to the left of franco . . . it was going to be hell on wheels!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:22 pm

Ms. Pettaway was unable to get on the ballot, and Brenda Konkel had to drop out. That's why the field is smaller.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:20 pm

why did konkel drop out?

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:12 am

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:49 am

Dave Blaska not running:-)

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:15 am

Hart is the comedian, so he's a no.

Soglin, I've seen enough of him, so he's a no.

I guess that leaves me with three choices. Gotta start doing some research.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:18 am

I was contacted a few days ago by a robopoll sponsored by Soglin. The one question was who I supported for Mayor. It ran down the list of names, and undecided. I hit the number for "undecided."

I'm looking for change, so Soglin is my last choice if I am ranking them, but not sure who am voting for yet.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:33 am

Donald wrote:I'm looking for change, so Soglin is my last choice if I am ranking them, but not sure who am voting for yet.

I've seen this comment from others, but "change" is a pretty broad. What changes would you like to see?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:46 am

So far, I'm impressed by Raj Shukla because of his interest in clean energy. Madison is pretty well situated to add to the clean energy commitments it's already made, and I don't see any of the other candidates putting an emphasis on this. I think our county exec has done well in this regard and I'd like to see equal (and well-informed) commitment from our mayor. It's part of dealing with climate change, which is going to affect the city whether we talk about it or not.

other i
Forum Addict

Postby other i » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:51 am

There was a time, way back, when impending change demanded a candidate from outside the usual lists. Finally, such a candidate won and it can be argued that he suited as a response to those impending changes for awhile.

Now more impending changes face us, here in Madison and, as then, across the world. I don't see anyone in this current list who looks like they came from outside the usual list.

We need some to be ready for some earth shaking changes. I believe we would be able to see that type of candidate by the unique way that he or she steps into the arena (that first example actually spent some time in jail!) IMO, these folks look very Madison-traditional, unimaginative and not like the kind of new leadership we need.

I an uninspired.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:03 am

Satya Rhodes-Conway in the primary. If she doesn't make it to the general election, then probably Soglin (as I'm sure he will get that far).

On another note, I've seen TV ads for Raj Shukla. Just wondering whose money is behind those ads.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:42 am

snoqueen wrote:So far, I'm impressed by Raj Shukla because of his interest in clean energy. Madison is pretty well situated to add to the clean energy commitments it's already made, and I don't see any of the other candidates putting an emphasis on this. I think our county exec has done well in this regard and I'd like to see equal (and well-informed) commitment from our mayor. It's part of dealing with climate change, which is going to affect the city whether we talk about it or not.

Raj does have excellent credentials with respect to clean energy. I agree climate change is going to affect the city....clearly it already has. Whoever is Mayor will have to be very concerned with mitigating those effects. It's a broader set of issues than clean energy. Is Raj prepared for all of it? Maybe. I don't know yet.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:56 pm

gargantua wrote:
snoqueen wrote:So far, I'm impressed by Raj Shukla because of his interest in clean energy. Madison is pretty well situated to add to the clean energy commitments it's already made, and I don't see any of the other candidates putting an emphasis on this. I think our county exec has done well in this regard and I'd like to see equal (and well-informed) commitment from our mayor. It's part of dealing with climate change, which is going to affect the city whether we talk about it or not.

Raj does have excellent credentials with respect to clean energy. I agree climate change is going to affect the city....clearly it already has. Whoever is Mayor will have to be very concerned with mitigating those effects. It's a broader set of issues than clean energy. Is Raj prepared for all of it? Maybe. I don't know yet.

I don't know either. That's what a campaign is for.

Can he organize a campaign? Does he have at least a degree of charisma so he can appeal to the public? Can he think on his feet? Can he answer unexpected questions? Does he demonstrate the ability to address issues outside his stated area of expertise? Does he seem to have, or is he developing, a network of respected experts to work with?

Walker had none of those abilities and it caught up with him eventually. Evers in contrast has done well so far.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:39 pm

Sno, you've said you don't have a TV, but his ads are probably on YouTube. It might give you some evidence for his charisma (or lack thereof).

Return to “Local Politics & Government”