Foxconn: no Wisconsin manufacturing plant.

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Foxconn: no Wisconsin manufacturing plant.

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:29 pm

gargantua wrote:Sno covered most of the indirect aid. They also got a waiver to use millions of gallons of Lake Michigan water. They won't actually use that unless or until they get the plant running.

Here's a more thorough accounting of the money spent. I appreciate the AP journalists who dug around for the details:

https://www.channel3000.com/news/ap-fac ... /998152237

From the article:

The state has not paid out job credits to Foxconn yet.

But the Republican leaders are leaving out tens of millions that taxpayers have spent on the project in other ways.

As part of the Foxconn legislation passed in 2017, the state agreed to give a $15 million grant to the village of Mount Pleasant, where Foxconn is slated to open its three-phase project. That money was disbursed to the village between November 2017 and June 2018, according to the state's non-partisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau.

Mount Pleasant and Racine County officials agreed to spend as much as $764 million to help lure Foxconn to Wisconsin. So far, $190 million has been spent from the village fund dedicated to the project, according to public documents. (In 2017, Foxconn deposited $60 million into that account and will continue to make tax payments into the fund in future years based on its property value.)

Nearly $170 million of those funds were used to buy up land and relocate people from their homes to make way for the project, offering $50,000 per land acre and paying 140 percent of the appraised value for homes, according to village documents . Village officials have acquired roughly 82 percent of the 2,873 acres Foxconn wants to build on for its three-phase project. The remaining $20 million has been spent on financing, legal costs, as well as sewer and water infrastructure costs for Foxconn, village documents provided to the AP show .

There's more but you can read it for yourself.

I did not know the village and county provided the a lot of the land acquisition and infrastructure money, not the state directly. They were reimbursed by the state and Foxconn to some extent, it seems. To me, it looks like not only the Walker administration but these small governmental units bought a degree from Trump University. I feel bad for these small governmental units usually run by a few officials who aren't tremendously sophisticated.

I do not feel bad for the Walker administration.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:59 pm

I feel bad for the taxpayers like myself who are stuck with paying for this boondoggle of a monument to Scott Walker's selfish incompetence.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:07 pm

do solar panels still use that yummy stuff like cadmium and mercury?

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:42 am

Inside Wisconsin’s Disastrous $4.5 Billion Deal With Foxconn
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... WzNNbY15kQ

“What was originally proposed and signed into contract is a project that no longer exists by Foxconn’s own admission”.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:47 pm

So did Con the Fox get special water rights? Will these water rights make the locals have to pay more for water?
I am asking because there is a NPR report that many people can no longer afford their water bills in the Great Lakes region and are getting denied service. It looks like we have sunk very low in this country.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:11 pm

Madsci wrote:I am asking because there is a NPR report that many people can no longer afford their water bills in the Great Lakes region and are getting denied service.

Really? I'd be cautious about that report. We live in perhaps the most fresh water rich part of the country, if not the world. We're bordered by two of the largest lakes in the world and Madison itself is basically a fountain of fresh water, so much so that we need to find ways to get rid of all of it. Our entire state is literally littered with lakes.

How is it that people who are living waist-deep in fresh water can't afford water utilities? I understand that there are a few steps between lake water and tap water, but we're not in Arizona or California. There's no shortage of water to filter and deliver to our thirsty residents.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:36 pm

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:10 pm

minnesota, the land of 10 000 lakes in fact has around 22 500 or more . . .

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:11 pm

UW foxhounds.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:25 am

as it hoards four bucks?

Return to “Local Politics & Government”