Dog Works In Mysterious Ways

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
npler
Forum Addict

Dog Works In Mysterious Ways

Postby npler » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:44 pm

There are people, or maybe just one individual, letting dogs crap in the area between the sidewalk and the street. Is there any chance that this is legal? It seems to be in an area including about a third of my yard and the two houses next door. Just because that strip belongs to the City doesn't mean that this person can get away with it, can they? Myself and two neighbors are thinking of having a discussion with whomever is doing this. It is not a trivial thing. People can step in it and track it all over the place, and there is the matter of it contributing to all of the nitrate and phosphorous and who knows what kind of bacteria and parasites are going into the lakes when it rains and the snow melts.

How hard is it to pick up the mess for God's sake? What a cock. One of our dogs actually started using the cats' litter box so we got a large pan with kitty litter and sand in it and she uses it 100% of the time. I had no idea that dogs could use a litter box seeing as how they intend to advertise their presence through crapping everywhere whereas a cat wants to hide its scent, usually. Maybe she saw us litter training the cats and ferrets and saying "Good Kitty!" and giving them treats.
The other two dogs are good canine citizens. We let them out in the yard to do the deed and pick it up and throw it away within minutes or seconds, and it is possible to see if they want to go outside for that or for a walk around the neighborhood.
Behavior like that of the perpetrators is awful because it makes people think that dog owners in general are thoughtless and not good neighbors.
Last edited by npler on Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dog Works In Mysterious Ways

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:37 pm

Forgive me for repeating myself: My friend tried the nice way to get neighbor 's dog's turds out of his yard. Finally, out of desperation, he gathered dog's turds, sneaked into neighbor's deck and lined up turds on grill and closed the lid!

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:59 pm

There are people, or maybe just one individual, letting dogs crap in the area between the sidewalk and the street. Is there any chance that this is legal?

Letting them crap there? Legal.

Not picking it up afterward? totally illegal.

npler
Forum Addict

Postby npler » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:57 am

Bwis53 wrote:Forgive me for repeating myself: My friend tried the nice way to get neighbor 's dog's turds out of his yard. Finally, out of desperation, he gathered dog's turds, sneaked into neighbor's deck and lined up turds on grill and closed the lid!

That is a great and uplifting story. The family next door has several potato guns and proposed collecting the scat and making it into a payload for one of the devices which can be aimed out a car window, but I think what you mentioned makes the point better and is perhaps more diplomatic.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:02 am

Under a Madison ordinance, pet waste not on the owner's property must be removed immediately. If it's within one's own yard, they have 24 hours.

What about police horses? Do they carry large pooper scoopers with them?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:43 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Under a Madison ordinance, pet waste not on the owner's property must be removed immediately. If it's within one's own yard, they have 24 hours.

What about police horses? Do they carry large pooper scoopers with them?

i suppose that is possible but i see a lot of cities actually outfit them with huge diapers; there is apparently a way to train them to use a designated area at their home paddock or whatever, and/or poop themselves out before they leave, leaving no potential for it to happen . . .

i am a trifle confused here -- is the trans-sidewalk grassy verge part of the street and therefore owned by the city or part of the front garden of the house where the city can do some things (trees, mostly) and bill the owner? then there are the cases where there is no sidewalk, like some neighbourhoods off cottage grove road and buckeye, to cite just one example . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:37 am

the best thing about -30°c weather is that the dog droppings freeze right up and slip onto the shovel without a problem

Return to “Local Politics & Government”