Want to run for Madison alder?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Want to run for Madison alder?

Postby Beaver » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:36 pm

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Want to run for Madison alder?

Postby Stu Levitan » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:11 pm

So now that I'm retired from the state job and able to serve on the council, and I get an open seat (I live in Mo Cheeks's district) ... and I can't run because I'm having too much fun with the new book.

Ah, well.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:58 am

Stu Levitan wrote:So now that I'm retired from the state job and able to serve on the council, and I get an open seat (I live in Mo Cheeks's district) ... and I can't run because I'm having too much fun with the new book.

Ah, well.

I am not in your district, so I couldn’t vote for you.

I do think your presence would improve the common council; at least not make it worse. This is not meant as a comment on Mo Cheeks or any other council members. It’s just that I think the presence of someone with a deep understanding of the history of Madison would be an asset to the cc.

Of course that is a personal decision which I respect.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:33 am

Paleo2 wrote:
Stu Levitan wrote:So now that I'm retired from the state job and able to serve on the council, and I get an open seat (I live in Mo Cheeks's district) ... and I can't run because I'm having too much fun with the new book.

Ah, well.

I am not in your district, so I couldn’t vote for you.

I do think your presence would improve the common council; at least not make it worse. This is not meant as a comment on Mo Cheeks or any other council members. It’s just that I think the presence of someone with a deep understanding of the history of Madison would be an asset to the cc.

Of course that is a personal decision which I respect.

I don't live in the district either. I agree with your point. It would be good for the city to have more alders who have a citywide perspective on issues that come before the Council. And this isn't a knock on anyone in particular either. The best government rep, at any level, is someone that doesn't particularly need the job and can say no to their constituents when their interests are at odds with the interests of the city as a whole.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:02 am

what i have long thought might he helpful would be to (in addition to perhaps increasing the number of districts) go to a three-year term and elect one council member from each district each year, in addition to four at-large city-wide candidates each year for a total of 12 of them, plus maybe drawing up four regions of the city to send another 12, one a year for three years . . .

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:47 pm

So, it sounds like you're talking about either 36 members or 48. I'm not sure I fully understand....I might be double counting. 48 alders seem like way too many. 36 may not be.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:00 pm

I am interested in the idea of a few alders at large, ones representing the whole city instead of one district. If you find yourself disappointed with your district alder's position on a certain matter, you could appeal to an alder at large to vote your way instead. Maybe the alders at large could represent the north, east, west, and south sides in some formalized way. It wouldn't be an easy job, but we could make it pay well enough to attract competent candidates and free their time to serve their constituents.

The idea people might have more than one alder, with terms staggered, might be confusing at first but once people got used to it, it too could be helpful. People naturally tend to specialize, with some good at infrastructure, some better at social issues, etc. Being an alder right now kind of assumes you're equally skilled at everything and we know that's not reality.

At the same time we might need to re draw the existing districts to keep the council at a manageable size. I don't immediately agree with making the council much larger than it is today. I would want to listen carefully to the opinions of the present alders and others on this one before deciding. There are probably lots of options we haven't thought of yet.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:50 pm

I thought there was talk a couple years ago about making the Madison Common Council a smaller body with fewer alders who would represent bigger districts. Haven't heard much about that recently.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:57 pm

I think a pay raise has been mentioned as a sticking point..

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:00 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I think a pay raise has been mentioned as a sticking point..

That is one of the biggest problems with the Common Council. Almost a full time job with part time pay.

frankiewhalen

Postby frankiewhalen » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:20 am

I actually went as far as printing the nomination papers, then I thought about it more; I have a fulltime job, a dog, mortgage, elderly parents: I don't have time for this. Having been an elected official in the past, I know there are not enough hours in the day....sorry, now is not the time.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:18 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:42 pm

The current Cap Times has an article about the large number of alders no longer running for reelection. Burn out seems to be a factor. My district has seen quite a few quitting in mid-term. Some just want to pad their cv and then move on.

It's a full-time job with part-time pay. Fewer districts means that more money would be available for those who do hold office. Right now only those who are retired and have a good pension have the time (if not the energy) to be an effective alder. And fewer districts with larger constituents might dilute NIMBYism.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”