Evers' cabinet

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Evers' cabinet

Postby Beaver » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:26 am

I wonder which one he will choose me for. DOT...DHS...DWD?

Evers defends Cabinet picks from Milwaukee
https://www.channel3000.com/news/politi ... /941149949

"Evers chose Joel Brennan to be Department of Administration Secretary; Preston Cole to head the Department of Natural Resources; Kevin Carr as Corrections Secretary; and Sara Meaney to lead the Tourism Department.

Cole is a forester and says his priority will be prioritizing science within the Department of Natural Resources. Carr says there is an "unprecedented opportunity" for criminal justice reform in Wisconsin.
Last edited by Beaver on Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ever's cabinet

Postby Beaver » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:53 pm

Tony Evers to tap Craig Thompson, advocate for transportation revenue boost, to lead WisDOT
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt ... 3BEF2C94B1

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Beaver wrote:Tony Evers to tap Craig Thompson, advocate for transportation revenue boost, to lead WisDOT

DOT secretaries who are not in favor of increased revenues are something of a rarity. Not saying that they're wrong, especially now, but it's the nature of that cabinet post. DOT builds roads. Roads cost a lot of money. And road builders want that money, and make campaign contributions expecting a return.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:27 pm

Raise the gas tax. It's basically a user fee. Our roads need fixing.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:30 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Raise the gas tax. It's basically a user fee. Our roads need fixing.

That might actually be doable. The Assembly wanted to in the last budget, but Fitz and Walker were having none of it.
Now that Evers is Governor, watch the Assembly drag its feet because they'll want to blame Evers for raising taxes.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:45 pm

Beaver wrote:I wonder which one he will choose me for. DOT...DHS...DWD?

building dams in the river -- let's see: does the state have the equivalent of the army corps of engineers?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:59 pm

gozer wrote:
Beaver wrote:I wonder which one he will choose me for. DOT...DHS...DWD?

building dams in the river -- let's see: does the state have the equivalent of the army corps of engineers?

Sounds like the water quality administrator in DNR. Good luck, Beav. Remember to listen to the scientists!

tellthetruth

Postby tellthetruth » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:56 pm

Evers/Barnes Continue Walker/Stepp DNR Legacy
In private, off the record and off site conversations with environmental advocacy group whistle blowers I was told in no uncertain terms that Preston Cole was the worst Wisconsin DNR Secretary pick since Cathy Stepp. In fact Mr. Cole was endorsed by Cathy Stepp and then re-appointed to the Wisconsin Natural Resources Board by highly partisan Governor Walker.
Since his re-appointment Mr. Cole continued to read, fain interest and even thank and ask questions (for that touch of legitimacy) then completely ignore, sound legitimate science presented to the Board. Time and time again he voted for corporate polluters, Walker contributors and business interests over the protection of our clean air, water and environment.
A high ranking member of the Evers/Barnes transition team told me that Cole had support from "South-East Wisconsin" and "out of state" interests. She didn't mention if the team consulted any legitimate environmental protection advocacy groups, independent environmentalists or accredited scientists in their vetting of candidates for the most powerful environmental position in the State of Wisconsin. Draw your own conclusions.
Mr. Cole should face no opposition from Republicans, who are licking their chops at this giant blunder, while environmentalists are furious. (including me, obviously)

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:08 pm

Tony Evers' pick to succeed him as state superintendent is top deputy, former Madison principal

"Gov.-elect Tony Evers has announced his successor as the state's top education official: one of his top deputies and a former Madison school principal, Carolyn Stanford Taylor, who will be Wisconsin's first African-American state superintendent. Stanford Taylor would fill the post currently held by Evers, state superintendent, who leads the state education agency, the Department of Public Instruction."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:32 pm

She was the principal at Madison Memorial when our son went there. We all thought very highly of her.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:44 pm

She was widely respected back when I taught in the district.

tellthetruth

Postby tellthetruth » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:17 pm

Preston Cole was the worst Wisconsin DNR Secretary pick since Cathy Stepp. In fact Mr. Cole was endorsed by Cathy Stepp and then re-appointed to the Wisconsin Natural Resources Board by highly partisan Governor Walker.
Since his re-appointment Mr. Cole continued to read, fain interest and even ask questions and thank (for that touch of legitimacy) then completely ignore, sound legitimate science presented to the NRBoard. Time and time again he voted for corporate polluters, Walker contributors and business interests over the protection of our clean air, water and environment. Now Governor Walker endorsed Cole again in a Tweet.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:34 am

gargantua wrote:She was the principal at Madison Memorial when our son went there. We all thought very highly of her.

Strange. The WJS article mentioned 3 other schools but not JMM.

I’m curious. When was she principal of JMM?

I must say JMM has been fortunate to have some excellent principals. I don’t know enough about the current principal, who has only been there a few months. I still have a kid at JMM. My kids have had Bruce Dahmen and Jay Afeldt previously. Both were excellent. Both of them really cared about the kids, and it showed.

I still remember the emotional graduation ceremony right after Bruce Dahmen died. They made the graduation ceremony a tribute to Bruce. His widow, Peggi, gave out the diplomas. Quite a few students, including my son, hugged her when she gave them their diploma. Truly touching.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:21 am

The late Carolyn Taylor was the former Memorial H.S. principal.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:48 am

The teacher in me needs to point out that the title should read: Evers' cabinet.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”