David Blaska running for School Board

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11035
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: David Blaska running for School Board

Postby gargantua » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:11 pm

The school board wasn't happy with the activists and adjourned the meeting. I don't agree with the activists either. The fact that there are activists doesn't mean that they're going to get their way. But they do get to be heard whether we like it or not.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27814
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: David Blaska running for School Board

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:18 pm

With his argument, YMBJ sets up a strawman and then shoots him down. Quite a marksman.

And Blaska gets one vote.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2002 3:53 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: David Blaska running for School Board

Postby Donald » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:45 pm

The question comes down to keeping the EROs or having some other arrangement for security in the schools, because there is going to be security in the schools. Only the most extremist folks think there is no need for security, and they go to school board meetings and show exactly why there is need for security. Their behavior is over the top for a school board meeting, but it is absolutely untenable for a school.

The ERO issue has been a good discussion to have. It has shored up support for the EROs. While the school-to-prison issue is important, it needs to be addressed from the point of view of students, particularly minority students, whose learning is harmed by disruptive student behaviors.

My view is the EROs should stay. They are trained and professional. They are respected by most students. By a very large majority, parents and staff favor EROs in the schools. Game, set and match. There will be continuing discussion about how EROs are utilized and how discipline is handled, but the EROs are staying in schools.

So, I doubt the Blaska candidacy is about EROs. It will be more about discipline in the schools generally. That's a discussion that is fine to have, but Blaska is not the right guy to push it forward.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2302
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Re: David Blaska running for School Board

Postby david cohen » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:27 pm

you must be joking wrote:
gargantua wrote:Yeah, ymbj, the School Board decided to keep the ERO'S, so I don't know what you're griping about.


Yes, but there were people like David Blaska and others who came to the school board meetings when the issue of having the ERO's was being discussed who were being shouted down, verbally harassed and intimidated by the activists who were allowed to run the meetings.

It appeared to me that keeping the ERO's in the schools was not exactly a done deal by any measure and I'm not sure if this topic comes up again that the school board won't cave to the activists.


If Ananda Mirilli and Ali Muldrow get elected, there's a pretty good chance they'd vote to remove EROs since both a thick with the Freedom Inc. crew. This is what puzzles me: Why wouldn't Blaska run for one of the seats these two are vying for??? Instead, he picks Dean Luomos' seat that already has a challenger (Chris Carusi). That tells me that Blaska doesn't really want a debate on EROs during the primary.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2302
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Re: David Blaska running for School Board

Postby david cohen » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:30 am

In the rapidly changing BOE political landscape, Dean Loumos is not seeking re-election for his seat...and it sounds like Kaleem Caire is going to run, although I'm not sure yet which seat he will seek.


Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27814
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: David Blaska running for School Board

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:26 am

Caire had some issues over using the Urban League's credit card for personal use, but it has been pretty well covered up.

https://madison.com/ct/news/local/write ... b1107.html

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11035
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: David Blaska running for School Board

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:14 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Caire had some issues over using the Urban League's credit card for personal use, but it has been pretty well covered up.

https://madison.com/ct/news/local/write ... b1107.html

I remember that. It is possible to misuse a credit card without it being a moral failure. Like not understanding what it can and can't be used for. Unless we hear more, this alone wouldn't keep me from voting for him for a School Board seat. I assume board members don't get credit cards from the school district.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27814
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: David Blaska running for School Board

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:31 am

gargantua wrote:It is possible to misuse a credit card without it being a moral failure.

Since the Urban League wanted to keep it a secret, I guess we'll never know.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11035
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: David Blaska running for School Board

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:00 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
gargantua wrote:It is possible to misuse a credit card without it being a moral failure.

Since the Urban League wanted to keep it a secret, I guess we'll never know.

True, and I admit that this is speculation on my part. But I believe that if there was any sort of serious corruption involved, it would have gotten out, simply because it almost always does. It will be interesting to see if it becomes an issue. If it does, we still may not know the truth, but I'd like to hear what the candidate himself has to say about it.

Ed Hughes
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:31 am
Contact:

Re: David Blaska running for School Board

Postby Ed Hughes » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:40 pm

No current School Board member, or School Board candidate supports removing ERO's from the schools. And, going back a few posts here, David Cohen is wrong. Neither Ananda Mirilli nor Ali Muldrow is "thick with" the Freedom Inc. activists, whatever that is supposed to mean, and neither is in favor of pulling EROs from the schools. There is going to be a lot of disinformation flying around with what seem likely to be pretty contentious school board races and it would be good if people made an effort to have their facts straight before pontificating (he pontificated).

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2302
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Re: David Blaska running for School Board

Postby david cohen » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:12 pm

Ed Hughes wrote:No current School Board member, or School Board candidate supports removing ERO's from the schools. And, going back a few posts here, David Cohen is wrong. Neither Ananda Mirilli nor Ali Muldrow is "thick with" the Freedom Inc. activists, whatever that is supposed to mean, and neither is in favor of pulling EROs from the schools. There is going to be a lot of disinformation flying around with what seem likely to be pretty contentious school board races and it would be good if people made an effort to have their facts straight before pontificating (he pontificated).


Ed- Ali was supported by some of the Freedom Inc. folks and Ananda was as well. Have either of them come out in support of EROs? If so, I'd welcome a link to such support. I see you have endorsed Ali, which is cool. I hope you impart some of your vast knowledge about how the Board and MMSD operates, as her last go around she seemed to be lacking in those things. All of that said, I'd prefer her over David Blaska, and I think most of Madison would as well!

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2302
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Re: David Blaska running for School Board

Postby david cohen » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:53 pm

note: Blaska is no longer running for Seat 3 since Kaleem Caire got into the race for that seat. He is gunning for Seat 4...pun intended;)

Ed Hughes
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:31 am
Contact:

Re: David Blaska running for School Board

Postby Ed Hughes » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:22 pm

David -- I know that neither Ali nor Ananda favor removing EROs from our schools because I asked them, as I'm sure they will be asked many times over the course of the campaign. I don't know what "Freedom Inc. folks" have supported Ali or Ananda in past runs, but I don't think it's fair to any elected official to automatically ascribe to them the views of anyone who might support them. Let the candidates speak for themselves. I haven't endorsed any candidate at this point.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2302
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Re: David Blaska running for School Board

Postby david cohen » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:36 am

Ed Hughes wrote:David -- I know that neither Ali nor Ananda favor removing EROs from our schools because I asked them, as I'm sure they will be asked many times over the course of the campaign. I don't know what "Freedom Inc. folks" have supported Ali or Ananda in past runs, but I don't think it's fair to any elected official to automatically ascribe to them the views of anyone who might support them. Let the candidates speak for themselves. I haven't endorsed any candidate at this point.



Ed...unless i misread Ali's Facebook, she shows you as an endorser (or supporter). Maybe it's from the last go around? Ananada's Facebook is VERY CLEAR that she supports "No Cops in Schools":



Personally, I think the debate is worth them having, as I know many fine folks on both sides of the issue. Since the two of them claim to be running together, probably best that they get their message straight.


Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests