David Blaska running for School Board

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Re: David Blaska running for School Board

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:22 am

Stu Levitan wrote:
david cohen wrote:
gargantua wrote:Thanks for reminding me! I really liked Ruth Robarts.

Ruth was one of the best BOE members in the past 25 yrs:)

Ruth was my supervisor when I interned for Supreme Court Justice Bill Bablitch in 1986. She was great, and really improved my writing. Ironically, Andrea Houlihan's then-husband, Bill, would become my supervisor at the Wisconsin Employment Relations Commission a few years later. He was a good supervisor, too.

Sometimes Madison can be a small town.

Interesting.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:28 am

Sno, I'm not going to try to talk you out of it because it gives me pause as well. She's within her rights to do so, of course. I think her argument is along the lines of wanting to make the Madison district good enough to want to send her own children there. I'm paraphrasing of course. I certainly don't think she's a Betsy DeVos though.

Ed Hughes

Postby Ed Hughes » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:30 am

Yes, Blaska would be a disaster on the School Board. The Caffeinated Politics author shows a pitfall of spouting off on a topic about which you know nothing. You could end up embarrassing yourself. Both he and Blaska would benefit from actually visiting one of our schools. I suggest they check Google Maps for the location of East.

As to Snoqueen’s question about Ali Muldrow: First, it is preposterous to compare her to Betsy DeVos, if that is the intent. There certainly are those who believe that sending kids anywhere other than MMSD schools is an automatic disqualifier for candidates for school board. I think that is overly simplistic. MTI apparently agrees, as they have endorsed Ali.

In Ali’s case, her daughter began pre-K at an MMSD school but had a very hard time there. Her parents were able to send her to Isthmus Montessori, which apparently has been a much better environment for her. I doubt that there are many parents who would blame Ali for making that move, nor does it seem like the kind of thing that would disqualify her from the Board. One could argue that it gives her more insight than Board members who haven’t had that kind of first-hand experience with our schools.

Ali did work to make Isthmus Montessori an MMSD charter school. It should be one today, but the Board ultimately flip-flopped and revoked the approval-in-principle that had previously passed on a 6-1 vote.

Ali is a graduate of Madison East and has taught classes there. Her partner works in an MMSD school. Ali does important work with GSAFE. Tony Evers appointed her to his Public Safety and Criminal Justice Reform Policy Advisory Council.

Most significantly for me, I found Ali to be very impressive and gracious when we were both School Board candidates two years ago. (I don’t think she ever said a negative word about her opponent in that race, Kate Toews.) I don’t agree with all her specific positions. But that’s okay with me because individual Board members don’t have the power to accomplish anything on their own. More important is how they approach working together with other Board members and the superintendent and staff.

I think Ali would be open-minded and realistic, while advocating for her views. She would be a good colleague for her fellow Board members and she would add a valuable perspective to the Board. I would have liked to have served with her.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:21 am

I agree with Ed, Sno. Ali tried hard to get the school her daughter enrolled in to be a part of MMSD. The board made a mistake when it ultimately turned it down as a public charter. I'm not sure why there is so much antipathy to public charters at MMSD. Yes, you don't want to go overboard on charters, but you should find a way to work with folks. I also have some hesitation about Ali on other issues, but none of them are disqualifying.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:44 am

Thanks for the helpful and reasonable feedback. I didn't mean to compare Muldrow's politics to Betsy DeVos', just her commitment to public education with regard to her placement of her own child.

I understand how, given the uniqueness of every kid, one school might have been a better fit for one particular child. I accept that as an explanation and appreciate how it doesn't necessarily mean she devalues public education in general.

Most important to me is the idea candidate Muldrow can get along with others on a board. People who try to lone-wolf it and change everything singlehanded end up doing a lot of obstruction and very little that is constructive.

Anyway, thanks for the replies and the positive tone.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:56 am

Thanks to Ed Hughes for his thoughtful post. I am over a decade away from full-time teaching and it helps to get the insights of others concerning the upcoming school board elections. I don't just want my vote to be anyone-but-Blaska.

globalwarming

Postby globalwarming » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:36 pm

Ed Hughes wrote:GSAFE

Do they have an office in Compton?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:33 pm

globalwarming wrote:
Ed Hughes wrote:GSAFE

Do they have an office in Compton?

compton being what, the newest neighbourhood appended to the city of madison on the south-east side as in xvi. district or thereabouts?

i, too, readily acknowledge the contribution of one mr ice cube and his collaborators now in more genres and methods than are simple to count, including political commentary, but i think u have him confused him with someone else, my cyber-sharpie-bathroom-stall-writing friend . . .

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:39 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Thanks to Ed Hughes for his thoughtful post. I am over a decade away from full-time teaching and it helps to get the insights of others concerning the upcoming school board elections. I don't just want my vote to be anyone-but-Blaska.

I'd just like to second this. I was likely voting for Ali anyway, but I feel a lot better about it now.

Marco Polo

Postby Marco Polo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:22 pm

gargantua wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Thanks to Ed Hughes for his thoughtful post. I am over a decade away from full-time teaching and it helps to get the insights of others concerning the upcoming school board elections. I don't just want my vote to be anyone-but-Blaska.

I'd just like to second this. I was likely voting for Ali anyway, but I feel a lot better about it now.

Ed's comment seems a bit forgiving; I have a hard time imaging people being this understanding if a BOE candidate had kids in Verona or Sun Praire schools and wanted to be on the board.

I'm understanding of parents doing what is best for their kids, no so much of doing so for other people's kids without the proverbial skin in the game.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”