David Blaska running for School Board

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

David Blaska running for School Board

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:48 pm

Conservative former Dane County Supervisor David Blaska running for School Board
https://madison.com/ct/news/local/educa ... op-story-2
Is this the same guy that resides in "the stately manor?"

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: David Blaska running for School Board

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Does he even think he has a snowball's chance? And will he be campaigning in that Scott Walker tee?

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:44 pm

Would be an interesting change. Give us stuff to talk about.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:18 pm

You could say the thing about Trump's election.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:41 pm

I expected a handsomer photo. He needs to get more sleep...

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:24 pm

I know Blaska's not popular here. But if he runs on keeping ERO's in schools, he has a chance. Better keep and circulate that Walker t-shirt photo. That's the kiss of death in this town.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:48 pm

Oh, this will be very interesting.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:53 am

Has Cornelius Gotchberg endorsed him yet?

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:08 am

Stu Levitan wrote:Oh, this will be very interesting.

Exactly. Like a fish out of water. It's not quite the same as Trump. Most of the USA is not overwhelmingly liberal. Repubs have been winning about half the presidential elections since Lincoln.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:29 am

gargantua wrote:I know Blaska's not popular here. But if he runs on keeping ERO's in schools, he has a chance. Better keep and circulate that Walker t-shirt photo. That's the kiss of death in this town.

Both of the folks he is challenging (Chris Carusi and Dean Loumos) support keeping ERO cops in the schools, so not much differentiation. In fact, the whole "Cops Out of MMSD" thing has been really overblown. The staff, admins, citizens and ERO Task Force ALL support keeping EROs in schools. Only a very vocal, tiny minority (Freedom Inc.) want cops out. Blaska is looking for attention and ink to get more website hits and more ad revenue.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:09 pm

Imagine if they had to wait for cops to arrive, instead of having one there...

you must be joking
Forum God/Goddess

Postby you must be joking » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:17 am

Bwis53 wrote:Imagine if they had to wait for cops to arrive, instead of having one there...

Good question.

According to the document produced by the F.B.I. "A Study of Active Shooter Incidents in the United States Between 2000 and 2013" the average mass shooting event takes between 2-5 minutes with the average police response time being around 7 minutes.

I wonder how the Madison Metropolitan School Board would deal with the subsequent public righteous anger if, God forbid, some crazy goes into one of those schools who formally had an ERO, and starts shooting the place up?

I also wonder how some of the small group of those protesting having the ERO's in the schools will deal with that same situation if one of their own or they themselves are one of the victims?

I guess the real question here is: What is the risk of one of the ERO's taking unjustified action that causes great harm or the death of a student or students, in one of the schools that have ERO's?

As compared to: What is the risk of some crazy coming into one of those schools and shooting the place up maiming and killing a whole bunch of students?

Or?

How many schools have been shot up in the United States and how many students have been murdered or maimed as a result of those incidents as compared to how many ERO's have cause the unjustified great harm of death of a student or students?

Making decisions based on facts rather than emotion is the only real and proper way of making decisions.

What I find surprising is that especially in Madison, being a university town with so many educated people, is that those same educated people can make really dumb decisions made on emotion rather than fact.

If the school board does decide to pull the ERO's then all I can say is: Stupid is as Stupid does.

Perhaps some of the people who are advocating the ERO's being removed from the schools should see Professor John McWhorter talk about the issue of racism titled:Is Social Justice the New Religion? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYsOUe8gmhk to see how their thinking is not always based on fact.
Last edited by you must be joking on Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:37 am

What dumb decision was made?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Yeah, ymbj, the School Board decided to keep the ERO'S, so I don't know what you're griping about.

you must be joking
Forum God/Goddess

Postby you must be joking » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:38 pm

gargantua wrote:Yeah, ymbj, the School Board decided to keep the ERO'S, so I don't know what you're griping about.

Yes, but there were people like David Blaska and others who came to the school board meetings when the issue of having the ERO's was being discussed who were being shouted down, verbally harassed and intimidated by the activists who were allowed to run the meetings.

It appeared to me that keeping the ERO's in the schools was not exactly a done deal by any measure and I'm not sure if this topic comes up again that the school board won't cave to the activists.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”