What's up with Baraboo?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What's up with Baraboo?

Postby DCB » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:22 pm

pjbogart wrote:On the one hand we have a group of young, impressionable kids who are likely rather ignorant of the history of Naziism and on the other hand we have a President who routinely attacks the free press, uses his party's machinery to spread propaganda, scapegoats minorities and questions the patriotism of anyone who disagrees with him.

There are dangerous people around us, but I don't think you'll find them in Prom photos. At least not yet.

I think it is a mistake to see these as two separate issues.

The only reason Trump became President and hasn't been impeached is because millions of Americans are totally cool with his white supremacy agenda. They may not express it openly, but they obviously don't see it as an existential threat.

These young men are or will soon be of voting age, If they haven't learned why their actions are offensive, we have a real problem.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:07 pm

can a president actually be impeached for things he or she did before becoming president, even if by weeks? even if he is a totally deficient human being?

woe betide anyone taking that office in the future . . . it was a bad idea for clinton, it was a bad idea for johnson xvii., the attempted recall wasn't the best thing in the case of walker, though i weighed his malfeasance in office and cast an anguished "yes" vote i must admit, not a good idea for davis in california in 2003, not a good idea for frazier in north dakota in 1921 . . .

back in the day i was an advisor of sorts and fixer for a student group called the national committee for recall, recount & impeachment . . . their symbol was an wheat and oak leaf wreath and "n c r r i · 5.vi.1989 · sapere aude" around an adding machine, a hammer, a torch, and a snake . . . their focus in the early 1990s was an expanded initiative and referendum law at the state and one at the national level . . . all these years later, all of those people have abandoned their populism because of enterprises like this and the 2000 election morass . . .

it is not heresy, and i will not recant

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:42 am

snoqueen wrote:
Friend of mine finally got a good job in construction, one he earned by doing the basics and taking fundamentals at MATC. He likes the work overall but is appalled at the casual racism. He needs the job and plans to stick with it because the pay is decent and the work is satisfying, and as a newbie he's not in a position to challenge the older guys on the job site. This is right in Madison.

So I agree with what you say here and suggest it's not just small town Wisconsin, it's a lot of white Wisconsin in general. We just don't come in contact with it unless we deliberately put ourselves in certain situations, because people with those attitudes edit their words carefully around customers and untrusted strangers.

I'm saying some of those Baraboo kids hadn't learned to edit yet, or thought they were on home territory and could get away with it.

Exactly true. I had the same experience working at a foundry and quit after 2 weeks partly because of it-that was the final straw. People hide it more in Madison, but the same characters wander amongst us.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:48 am

gozer wrote:can a president actually be impeached for things he or she did before becoming president, even if by weeks? even if he is a totally deficient human being?

In case it's not clear, I'm not making the case for impeachment. I'm just pointing out that Trump's agenda is supported by millions of Americans. If you could magically get them all Woke ( as the kids say), that agenda would collapse.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:10 am

DCB wrote:
gozer wrote:can a president actually be impeached for things he or she did before becoming president, even if by weeks? even if he is a totally deficient human being?

In case it's not clear, I'm not making the case for impeachment. I'm just pointing out that Trump's agenda is supported by millions of Americans. If you could magically get them all Woke ( as the kids say), that agenda would collapse.

well, yes, that is probably beyond dispute . . . but what i've observed for a while is that the agenda of trump seems to be more an illusion of those on all sides depending on what is happening -- i don't think he has the core values or attention span to have a true agenda in the way that, for example, obama had . . . if someone doesn't like mexicans, they remember the wall, if they are isolationists or centre-right peaceniks or anti-trumpers of the imperialist variety there are comments he made more than once on the campaign trail and what has generally not actually happened since; if they are either warmongers or anti-trumpers of many stripes there are another set of off the cuff remarks and their own forecasts to go by. i'm starting to think it's all a big zero-sum drunken rorschach test for all involved and the best thing to do in the short term would be to get someone in d c to wean trump off the twitter . . .

i would hope that the kind of divisiveness in which he trafficks and has perhaps tricked some opponents into takes too much energy and is self-limiting but u never know, i suppose. he was supposed to get 18 per cent of the vote or something, wasn't he?

the malfeasance of the ku kluxers and neo-nazi clowns really doesn't prove anything, either. i'm sure the alt-right is as amorphous and disunited as ever and as eaten through with people looking out for the cops and every other interested organisation, the occasional agent provocateur, and people who are just plain nuts, along with a small contingent of publicity hogs and star-fuckers -- i just don't see a coherent line of reasoning or shouting from them either, first it is the report of people saying heil trump, then the latest shooter lambastes trump as a globalist and a whole other laundry list of things . . .

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:16 pm

Wasn't Baraboo one of the areas hit hard by the floods this past summer? Maybe they need more good thoughts and prayers.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:51 pm

They need more beavers. Yes I do get calm and sleepy in Winter.

Baraboo zoo welcomes beavers
https://www.wiscnews.com/baraboonewsrep ... 25bNvuciIM

"Spinoso noted there won’t be much to see at first, as beavers don’t move much in winter. “Beavers in general seem to be calm,” she said. “They’re going to get very sleepy all winter long.” Baraboo’s free zoo may be the only one in Wisconsin with beavers on display, Spinoso said. The staff was eager to bring them in, even though it meant scrambling to prepare temporary quarters."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:30 pm

My wife and I were sitting on a footbridge over a river up north a couple of years ago. A beaver swam up, splashed its tail in the water, and tried to get us wet.

Beavers are assholes.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:01 am

Happy holidays to you too, grinch.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:35 am

Beaver wrote:Happy holidays to you too, grinch.

Hey, we were just sitting there minding our own business. We didn't do anything to that beaver.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:18 am

See that right there? There's how species privilege works. Ignore all the times a species has proven itself valuable and instead choose a single negative experience as a representation of the entire species, and now you've normalized all the species-specific hate crimes committed by your fellow species members and absolved yourself of all responsibility. That's how beavers get themselves on the endangered list.

Next: muskrat hatred.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:36 am

Cadfael wrote:muskrat hatred.

Insert Captain and Tennille joke here.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:57 pm

Muskrats and beavers. There is fault on both sides.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:32 am

And some, I assume, are fine creatures.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”