What's up with Baraboo?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5384
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

What's up with Baraboo?

Postby DCB » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:47 am

Apparently the High School class of 2019 kids thought their official Junior prom photo would be more fun if they were all making a Nazi salute.
https://lawandcrime.com/crazy/school-co ... e-at-prom/

Good luck getting hired anywhere, ever.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11046
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: What's up with Baraboo?

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:38 pm

I wonder what legal action the school district can take. Doing a Nazi salute is horribly insensitive and incredibly stupid, but it's not actually illegal, is it?

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 699
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 am

Re: What's up with Baraboo?

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Sometimes kids are really stupid

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8738
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek
Contact:

Re: What's up with Baraboo?

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:37 pm

It's possible they were not saluting. Some look half-hearted. If it can be proven that their intent was what some of them look like, I think they need a remedial class on WWII and the suffering so many went through.

Weather Bob
Forum Addict
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:13 pm

Re: What's up with Baraboo?

Postby Weather Bob » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:53 pm

It sounds like the school district has a deeply toxic climate. Lots of students are contacting this journalist to describe stuff that went on at the school -- white power chants, racist insults, etc. The administration was told about these problems and didn't care.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8738
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek
Contact:

Re: What's up with Baraboo?

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Boy this is hard. Perhaps because one of their former or current officials was one of my bullies. The fucker was on the news some time ago. I still work on acceptance and forgiveness.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 699
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 am

Re: What's up with Baraboo?

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:55 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Boy this is hard. Perhaps because one of their former or current officials was one of my bullies. The fucker was on the news some time ago. I still work on acceptance and forgiveness.


I am sorry about you being bullied. I hope you can at least deal with it to the point where it doesn't bother you any more.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5442
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: What's up with Baraboo?

Postby Beaver » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:12 pm

I've been cyber bullied on this board. I still come here.

gargantua wrote:I wonder what legal action the school district can take. Doing a Nazi salute is horribly insensitive and incredibly stupid, but it's not actually illegal, is it?

I think it's protected by free speech laws, just like hate speech is. I hope so. If we start banning gestures and speech because some of us don't like it, we lose free speech rights.

DCB wrote:Good luck getting hired anywhere, ever.

No such thing as youthful indiscretion, huh? They didn't do anything illegal or hurt anyone. How do you feel about teens who commit actual crimes, such as DWI, fighting, theft, etc? Should they be banned from the work place for ever?

I remember people in my high school making nazi salutes at times while joking around. In grad school here, while playing volleyball with other grad students I remember one of them making a nazi salute while joking. He is now a phd with a good job. But none of them would have posed for a photo doing it. That was dumb.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8738
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek
Contact:

Re: What's up with Baraboo?

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Paleo2 wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:Boy this is hard. Perhaps because one of their former or current officials was one of my bullies. The fucker was on the news some time ago. I still work on acceptance and forgiveness.


I am sorry about you being bullied. I hope you can at least deal with it to the point where it doesn't bother you any more.

Yes, I learned at Alanon, acceptance and forgiveness don't make what happened okay. You accept the past and stop holding into that poison. Forgiveness is more for the forgiver than the forgiven.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 699
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 am

Re: What's up with Baraboo?

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Bwis53 wrote: Forgiveness is more for the forgiver than the forgiven.


Exactly.

I used to get upset when people didn’t seem to want to accept my forgiveness on my terms. Then I realized I was missing the point.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5384
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: What's up with Baraboo?

Postby DCB » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:00 pm

Beaver wrote:
DCB wrote:Good luck getting hired anywhere, ever.

No such thing as youthful indiscretion, huh? They didn't do anything illegal or hurt anyone. How do you feel about teens who commit actual crimes, such as DWI, fighting, theft, etc? Should they be banned from the work place for ever?

I don't make the rules. I'm not justifying it. I'm just pointing out that in 2018, a photo of a jackass stunt like that can follow you around forever.

And I urge to reconsider your statement that this "didn't hurt anyone".

Beaver wrote: That was dumb.

No shit.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3637
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:46 am

Re: What's up with Baraboo?

Postby Cadfael » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:20 pm

Beaver wrote:I think it's protected by free speech laws, just like hate speech is. I hope so. If we start banning gestures and speech because some of us don't like it, we lose free speech rights.

The photo, being as it's off of school property, and apparently the Junior Prom is not a school sanctioned event, definitely falls into the category of free speech.

The conversation it generated indicates that the words "white power" and racial slurs were tossed around the high school itself.

That's another category. Unless schools don't have speech codes any more. Is it okay to yell "fuck," "shit," "pussy," et cetera in the hallways now?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11046
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: What's up with Baraboo?

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:58 pm

I really wonder what kids are being taught about world history these days. I was born not that long after the end of World War II, when the effects and the lessons of the war were still relatively fresh. Today's high school junior was born in the 21st century, too young to even remember the 9/11 attacks. So I think it's entirely possible that they literally don't know just how offensive that kind of behavior is. They sure know it's offensive now. I hope that teachers and parents take the time to make sure they understand exactly WHY it's so offensive.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5442
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: What's up with Baraboo?

Postby Beaver » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:05 am

DCB wrote: And I urge to reconsider your statement that this "didn't hurt anyone".

Didn't hurt anyone physically.

Cadfael wrote:That's another category. Unless schools don't have speech codes any more. Is it okay to yell "fuck," "shit," "pussy," et cetera in the hallways now?

I heard those words in my h.s. hallways. Nothing was done usually. I heard them at places at UW. I see those words on this board fairly often. See DCB's post above.

It was just a misunderstanding. Some people can't tell the difference between a goodbye wave and nazi salute.
Nothing to see here, move along.

Photographer: Wisconsin boys' Nazi salute photo was innocent
https://www.channel3000.com/news/photog ... /861485476

"The photographer who took a picture of boys from Baraboo High School giving what appears to be a Nazi salute says he simply asked the students to wave goodbye to their parents. Pete Gust told community journalism website Madison 365 that the pre-prom photo, which has been shared widely on social media, was innocent. He says he asked the boys to give him a "high five" for the photo taken in May.."

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27836
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: What's up with Baraboo?

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:21 am

I've heard different reports. One boy who didn't salute, said he didn't do so because he felt it was morally wrong and that some parents shouted out don't do it. Another boy in the front row is seen giving a white power hand signal.

The waving at parents excuse is bullshit.


Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests