What's it going to take?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
you must be joking
Forum God/Goddess

What's it going to take?

Postby you must be joking » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:14 am

So what's it going to take in order for the district attorney to get tough on the gang or gangs of little punks who keep assaulting ordinary citizens of Madison?

According to Channel 15 News https://www.nbc15.com/content/news/Four-juveniles-arrested-three-detained-after-fight--500234061.html a group of juveniles ranging from 12-15 years old harassed and assaulted a man and a woman on a Metro bus last night. This caused the bus driver to force everyone off the bus including the man and the woman being harassed and assaulted at West Town Mall. The man then noticed his cell phone was missing and began to chase down the juveniles who then attacked him and the woman. This caused the police to be called and they subsequently arrested some of the juveniles.

This follows the incidents from November 4th where a group of juveniles ranging in age between 14-16 years of age through rocks started fights with the employees at Chick-fil-A, causing a disturbance at Taco Bell and the West Transfer point.

Of course this also follows in the wake of a number of car thefts where the juveniles who steal the cars are apprehended and then back out on the streets before the cops even get the paper work done.

Shots fired by schools, on busses, in broad daylight, on busy streets, near playgrounds where there are kids around. People being shot at or shot. Sometimes even shot dead.

Now I realize that not all of the crimes mentioned above are done by juveniles but allowing this type of behavior to go on unchecked when it is done by juveniles is only setting the same pattern of behavior in the older criminals.

The punks are getting more and more bold in their attacks as they know that nothing will be done about them as in this town they seemingly have a "get out of jail free card" to use anytime they want.

So what is it going to take in order for the Citizens of Madison to do something about this?

We are not told by the police or the press about the racial make up of the groups or individuals who are committing these crimes, but it is a fair question to ask: Is the reluctance of the D.A. to go after these punks a matter of the race of the young punks that are committing these crimes?

The lack of reporting on that aspect of the story leads me to believe that the punks who are committing these types of offenses are probably for the most people who do not identify as white. Therefore they get a pass from the D.A. as it is not politically correct to go after them.

But in so saying, I might ask: Could you just imagine if there were groups of young white punks going around beating up minorities in Madison?

What would the D.A. do about that?

This is not a matter of race or gender or national origin. This is a matter of what types of behaviors the average citizen of Madison should be able to expect from his or her fellow citizens.

What are your thoughts my fellow Madisonians?

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What's it going to take?

Postby Donald » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:54 am

you must be joking wrote:So what's it going to take in order for the district attorney to get tough on the gang or gangs of little punks who keep assaulting ordinary citizens of Madison?

You've packed a lot of assumptions and vague words into this sentence. What does "get tough" mean? Do you mean these are "gangs" or just out-of-control kids? You say, "keep assaulting." Does that imply this is the same group of juveniles doing all this activity? What is an "ordinary citizen?" If this citizen was from Middleton would that make a difference?

Here's what I think. If these are a bunch of rowdy kids picking on someone, people should intervene or call the police, depending how comfortable you feel about it. It's best, though, to stand up as a group of adults and nip it in the bud, as the saying goes. I have no problem saying to kids, "Cut it out. What if some kids were harassing your Mom like that?" Shame usually works. In the past when I've done that, I get the stink eye, but they usually think about it, and stop. Usually they are so surprised that someone is going to get involved that they slink away. That's what I call "getting tough." Most kids know when they are out of line, but they get egged on by peers and don't want to back down. I realize this can be dangerous if these guys are really in a "gang," but "gangs" generally have other things to do than harass people like this.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:32 am

YMBJ has probably never ridden a city bus anyway, so why is he concerned? Also, what about the gun mass shootings? What will it take to end those? Are you upset by them?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:48 pm

According to the police, much of this activity is committed by a gang, of roughly about 30 individuals. There have been a number of community meetings involving the police, alders, and judges. Everyone involved is frustrated by the apparent limitations on what tools are available to deal with this. I haven't been a victim, yet, but I shouldn't have to worry about perpetrators who have been caught, multiple times, and haven't been the least deterred from reoffending. I'm frustrated. And it's not doing these kids any favors either, because eventually they'll age into real consequences.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:22 pm

The west transfer point has had a reputation for being dangerous for several years. There was once a time when my kids would take buses a lot. Not anymore.
Among other reasons, I don’t feel my kids would be safe at the west transfer point.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:34 pm

Paleo2 wrote:The west transfer point has had a reputation for being dangerous for several years. There was once a time when my kids would take buses a lot. Not anymore.
Among other reasons, I don’t feel my kids would be safe at the west transfer point.

Your concern is justified. They wouldn't be.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:47 pm

I've got it! In order to control the spread of out-of-control black kids, let's defund The Boys' And Girls' Club! They're probably all Democrats anyway. We could also make family planning more difficult in disadvantaged communities by defunding Planned Parenthood. The final "fix" is one we've been working on for awhile here in Wisconsin... let's defund our public schools.

Don't bother thanking me, I was just reading YMBJ's cue cards.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Perhaps those ritzy stores need to invest in better security. Madison Metro moving the bus stop to the edge of the parking lot sure didn't help. Can I assume there are plenty of security cameras to catch the action?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Perhaps those ritzy stores need to invest in better security. Madison Metro moving the bus stop to the edge of the parking lot sure didn't help. Can I assume there are plenty of security cameras to catch the action?

I seem to recall that at one time West Towne didn't want buses near the stores. The current stop might be the best that Metro is allowed to provide.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:37 pm

gargantua wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:Perhaps those ritzy stores need to invest in better security. Madison Metro moving the bus stop to the edge of the parking lot sure didn't help. Can I assume there are plenty of security cameras to catch the action?

I seem to recall that at one time West Towne didn't want buses near the stores. The current stop might be the best that Metro is allowed to provide.

I heard the same thing about East Towne. It used to be so handy to have curbside bus stops. That's another reason I rarely go! I think it was the malls way, thinking they were dealing with the situation.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:11 pm

you must be joking wrote:...the racial make up...a matter of the race...people who do not identify as white...young white punks...minorities in Madison...

you must be joking then wrote:This is not a matter of race...

Still earnin' that moniker, I see.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:15 pm

jman111 wrote:
you must be joking wrote:...the racial make up...a matter of the race...people who do not identify as white...young white punks...minorities in Madison...

This doesn't justify crime, but part of the feedback from the meetings was that young black people are often not referred to as kids. They're referred to as juveniles. It carries quite a different connotation, and they notice.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:03 pm

gargantua wrote:This doesn't justify crime, but part of the feedback from the meetings was that young black people are often not referred to as kids. They're referred to as juveniles. It carries quite a different connotation, and they notice.

It does, and I'm sure they do. When I hear 'juvenile', I still immediately think 'delinquent'. That's really the only context in which I heard the term growing up.

you must be joking
Forum God/Goddess

Postby you must be joking » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:03 am

Beaver wrote:YMBJ has probably never ridden a city bus anyway, so why is he concerned? Also, what about the gun mass shootings? What will it take to end those? Are you upset by them?

Might surprise you Beaver but I actually do take the bus to work and back at least 3-4 days a week. Mass gun shootings are a non-issue here in Madison WI. so I am choosing to direct my comments and questions to the issues we are having.

you must be joking
Forum God/Goddess

Postby you must be joking » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:12 am

jman111 wrote:

jman111,

Make my comments about race all you want but that again is beside the point and to be honest is counter productive to what I am trying to get at which is: What are we going to do about the problem of street gangs made up of 12-16 year old youths who are committing most of the auto thefts, participating in gang violence, taking part of shots fired incidents on our streets in broad daylight and other such offenses to the public peace?

I'm interested in solutions to the problem.

The City Council, the Mayor, the D.A. don't seem to have any solutions to the problem so I thought perhaps we the citizens of Madison could come up with our own solutions.

The Police cannot keep arresting these punks just to see them let go time and time again.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”