Sore losers

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sore losers

Postby Cadfael » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:50 pm

Can you expand on that a little bit? I'm not sure who you're insulting.

The One
Forum Addict

Postby The One » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Cadfael wrote:Can you expand on that a little bit? I'm not sure who you're insulting.

Not trying to insult anyone. I'm pointing out hypocrisy from people who are up in arms about the Republicans doing a power grab while they still can.

The woman with the shirt. I would bet the farm that she is pissed off that Trump is the President and that she can't "Get over it"

What I heard over and over again in the Capitol was that the Republicans are trying to overturn the will of the voters with these bills. I can see their point and to a point I do agree. But didn't a large amount of people beg the electoral college to overturn the will of the voters by not giving Trump Wisconsin's electoral votes?

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:12 pm

The One wrote:What I heard over and over again in the Capitol was that the Republicans are trying to overturn the will of the voters with these bills. I can see their point and to a point I do agree. But didn't a large amount of people beg the electoral college to overturn the will of the voters by not giving Trump Wisconsin's electoral votes?

This is becoming such a tiresome propaganda tool. Someone somewhere WANTED something you don't want, so that justifies... uh... anything. Did Trump get Wisconsin's electoral votes? And we aren't talking about a "large amount of people" wanting to do something, we're talking about elected officials coordinating to limit the power of political opponents who won elected office.

Personally I don't care that much about Republicans acting like Republicans. They've never respected voters anyway, which is why they shamelessly gerrymander every chance they get. They know that 2020 is going to be a rougher year than 2018, especially if Trump is on the top of the ticket, and redistricting is at stake. They'll pull out all of the stops to give themselves an advantage and that shouldn't surprise anyone. That's just who they are and who they've always been.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:37 pm

The One wrote:My favorite thing at the Capitol on Monday's committee hearing was a woman walked in with a shirt saying on the front, "You Lost" and on the back it says "Get over it".

I really did want to go up to her and ask, "You voted from Trump, right?" "No?" "Then you're fine with the result?" "No?"

The SAME people who are screaming "SHAME!" and "You are trying to overturn out vote" are the same people who sat in the Capitol yelling "SHAME" to the Electoral College for not overturning the vote of the people of Wisconsin.

Where to begin? Trump lost the popular vote by nearly 3 million votes. He LOST. Walker and Schimel lost the popular vote. They LOST. That means that the Democrats got more votes than the Republicans. I can't believe you need to have this explained to you.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:42 pm

The One wrote:What I heard over and over again in the Capitol was that the Republicans are trying to overturn the will of the voters with these bills. I can see their point and to a point I do agree. But didn't a large amount of people beg the electoral college to overturn the will of the voters by not giving Trump Wisconsin's electoral votes

No.

Not everyone who disagrees with you fits the most extreme stereotype of leftist in your head.

The One
Forum Addict

Postby The One » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:01 pm

gargantua wrote:Where to begin? Trump lost the popular vote by nearly 3 million votes. He LOST. Walker and Schimel lost the popular vote. They LOST. That means that the Democrats got more votes than the Republicans. I can't believe you need to have this explained to you.

Yes, Trump LOST the popular vote but he WON the electoral college vote meaning he WON the the office of President.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:21 pm

So you're saying that there are people who wanted the electoral college to be used in a way that its creators never intended, the same way that the Republicans are using the lame duck time window?

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:45 pm

The One wrote:
gargantua wrote:Where to begin? Trump lost the popular vote by nearly 3 million votes. He LOST. Walker and Schimel lost the popular vote. They LOST. That means that the Democrats got more votes than the Republicans. I can't believe you need to have this explained to you.

Yes, Trump LOST the popular vote but he WON the electoral college vote meaning he WON the the office of President.

Is anyone seriously arguing that President Trump isn't actually the President? I'm not denying you can find some goofball on the internet making such a claim, but I don't see anyone around here saying it. And what does that have to do with Republicans using a lame-duck session to rig the system in their favor?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:52 pm

Apparently English is a second language for the 1.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:37 pm

Courts likely to strike down Republican lame-duck power grabs, experts say
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... zP0lbtRn3k

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:44 pm

Obviously, I hope the experts are right. This will really test the integrity of the Supreme Court, because I think they'd have to really misapply the law to uphold these changes. Believe me, I'm aware that I come across as gloomy and negative when it comes to the state of our politics. But I hold out hope that there are still some people who have some conscience left. We'll find out in the next few months.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:45 pm

It's a done deal.

Gov. Scott Walker signed three lame-duck bills in their entirety during an event Friday afternoon in Green Bay.

Walker had said several days ago that he planned to line-item veto the legislation, but he said Friday that he no longer planned to do that.The bills would strip powers from the incoming Democratic governor and attorney general and limit early voting in Wisconsin.

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:30 pm

Governor Scott Walker: Came in like a weasel, went out like a weasel. And that's the legacy he'll no doubt pretend to be proud of to anyone who bothers to listen to him for the rest of his sad, sorry life. Good riddance!

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:26 pm

That reminds me of the time Walker's SS installed metal detectors at the Capitol with an erasable board of new "rules" for protests. Ted Voth changed one of the rules to "Walker's a WEASEL!" One of his uniformed henchmen immediately ran over losing his shit on the way... lol!!! Priceless!
Last edited by jonnygothispen on Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:33 pm

Is that suit going all the way to the USSC?

Return to “Local Politics & Government”