Sore losers

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sore losers

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:50 pm

So far there is talk of filibustering and law suits.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:06 pm

gozer wrote:
Cadfael wrote:
gargantua wrote:If that would actually work, I'd be all for it. It's no more anti-democratic than what the Republicans are trying to do.

I find it to be much more democratic than adjusting the government one way to make it easier for your party and then adjusting it again to make it more difficult for the other one.

And I think it could work. I recall them threatening to send law enforcement agents to haul them back in chains last time, which indicates they don't have a lot of options.

maybe pass the hat and have the democrats take an extended vacation in brazil or transdneistria, some place where the republicans couldn't even begin to try to haul them back in chains?

I guess 27 days counts as an extended vacation but I think Illinois or Iowa would be just fine.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:45 pm

According to Melissa Sargent, the chamber that was supposed to meet at 1pm was still vacant as of 8pm.

I don't know if this is true. but I read elsewhere that someone asked earlier if this is how sore losers act, so they shut everything down. Sounds like a resounding "yes." There's speculation that it will be another late night vote.

Update: They're rolling in as of 10:10. Iscariot is ready.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:23 pm

They've got a new plan:dissolve the state entirely.

Fitzgerald wrote:While we cherish the past 170 years of statehood, there is simply too much at stake right now to allow the clear will of the people expressed at the polls to ruin Wisconsin by putting Democrats into positions such as governor and attorney general.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:06 am

GOP senators vote in wee hours to pass lame-duck bill curtailing powers of governor, attorney general
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt ... 3BEF2C94B1

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:55 am

Some states' Legislatures recognize that conducting public business at times when the public can't observe or participate is bad public policy. They set self-imposed time limits to make government more transparent, more fair, more consumer friendly.

That is not the policy of Wisconsin's legislative overseers, however. They seem to relish passing far reaching legislation in the depths of darkness, and out of sight of most observers. Their debates are hidden, also, behind the iron curtain of secrecy afforded by caucuses, where they spend hours flagellating recalcitrant members or fabricating and refining their new atrocities.

These last eight years have seen a Legislature that is next to worthless. The Governor had too much power, maybe, but that was because the Legislature did not do its job. It let Walker run the show. People who conduct business out of sight are cowards. These legislative pipsqueaks now think they have something to contribute. Yes, they will continue to contribute their cowardice and corruption, their fear of openness and of the people.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:39 am

And since they did such a good job choosing their own voters, they'll never be held accountable.

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:33 pm

I'm heading down to the Capitol later tonight. I would have gone yesterday, but I've way too much to do lately. Wisconsinites must do all they can to thwart this obscenity, courtesy of our state G.O.P.... which stands for Greedy Old Pigs.
https://www.dailykos.com/campaigns/lett ... nors-power

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:27 pm

Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:41 pm

massimo wrote:Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost.

The bums will go to court if Walker signs this.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:48 pm

what exactly is the idea behind changing the election dates?

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:51 pm

gozer wrote:what exactly is the idea behind changing the election dates?

Republicans fear that a Presidential Primary will draw too many Democratic voters, making it harder for a conservative to win a Supreme Court election.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:21 pm

The sore bums lost. Why shouldn't we demand they step down with out shitting up the place?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:55 pm

gargantua wrote:
massimo wrote:Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost.

How do you think the Wisconsin Supreme Court, bought and paid for by the overlords of the GOP, will rule?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
gargantua wrote:

How do you think the Wisconsin Supreme Court, bought and paid for by the overlords of the GOP, will rule?

I honestly don't know. I think it depends on just how blatantly unconstitutional this is. I hope that there is a limit as to just how far a couple of them will take their partisanship. They have to consider the possibility that a future Legislature could decide that the judiciary is too powerful. So this is an important precedent. They may be partisan, but they're not stupid.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”