Sore losers

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sore losers

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:56 pm

Has any suit been filed in state court (for a violation of the Wisconsin Constitution) or in federal court (for a violation of the U.S. Constitution)?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:00 pm

limiting early voting -- amongst other things it is another swipe at chronic pain folks . . . early voting helps those whose condition can be aggravated by standing in a queue for an extended period . . .

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:02 pm

Faulty Venn diagram:

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Has any suit been filed in state court (for a violation of the Wisconsin Constitution) or in federal court (for a violation of the U.S. Constitution)?

Not yet. Evers has considering his options.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:24 am

pjbogart wrote:
gozer wrote:what exactly is the idea behind changing the election dates?

Republicans fear that a Presidential Primary will draw too many Democratic voters, making it harder for a conservative to win a Supreme Court election.

i know of people who are still fuming at tommy thompson for getting the primary moved up three weeks, ostensibly to help a bid for the white house -- and also moved the spring non-partisan election to the same date in 1996 -- i think it was . . . the democratic primary for president was clinton versus lyndon la rouche and bob dole didn't have the nomimation sewed up yet. . . i remember blaskaites here and there losing re-election or open seats to county board of supervisors, village councils, township boards, boards of education . . .

i mention this because especially after eight years of walkerism and an incumbent republican (such as he is, i guess) for president, and a very lively democratic primary, the likely scenario will be not really a blue tsunami but a blue wave similar to the underground flood in chicago in april 1992 . . . and in the most populated counties of the state, the republicans and fellow travellers simply don't have the absolute numbers to make the reverse so.

i think a strong case can be made for fixing the primary on the first thursday in february and keep the non-partisan elections where they are. a stronger case can be made for having the wisconsin, michigan, minnesota, north and south dakota primaries on the same day to press regional issues; i believe iowa and michigan both have caucuses and a primary election, though that may have been changed . . . having the wisconsin primary along with the february non-partisan primary only makes things worse . . .

one example: it would be unfortunate for mr blaksa's bid for school board, and given that there is essentially a vacuum to the right of the left wing of the national association of manufacturers, which is to say that m m s d board of education with mr blaska on it is more representative of the district as a whole . . . i am sure that at least one seventh of the electorate are on the centre-right. he was our county supervisor for many years (and i think 1996 may have been a closer shave that expected, or maybe 1998. could be both. . . ) we disagree quite a bit on the things that the county board does, health & human services type functions, but he was always respectful and actually did make an effort to keep up with voter sentiment and current affairs in the neighbourhood . . . of course he gave a few people fits, which can be a good thing in an organisation powered by sheer inertia . . .

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:37 pm

5 ways the lame-duck laws will change life for Wisconsinites
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/pol ... rBbPw-BUjM

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 pm

Won't happen in Mich.

Michigan Republicans' effort to curb Democrats' power hits snag
https://www.yahoo.com/news/michigan-rep ... 48864.html

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:43 am

State Senate GOP Leader: Lawmakers could go it alone in crafting next state budget
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt ... 3BEF2C94B1

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:01 am

Three words: line item veto.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:30 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Three words: line item veto.

No kidding. The Republicans could propose a budget I guess. My advice to Evers is to pay no attention to it until the deadline and then veto the whole thing and promise to keep doing it until they act on his budget.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”