Konkel fired from TRC

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Konkel fired from TRC

Postby Westsidegal » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:48 pm

Brenda Konkel was fired today from the Tenent Resource Center. She has been there since 1991 (executive director since 1995.) No nonprofit in Madison is more associated with its Executive Director than Brenda Konkel is with the TRC.

Something tells me that there is going to be much more coming out about this situation over the next few weeks.

https://madison.com/news/local/govt-and ... 3.amp.html
Last edited by Westsidegal on Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Konkel fired from TRC

Postby gargantua » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:52 pm

It's a surprise. If she believes that it has something to do with her run for mayor, she didn't say so. Offhand, I don't know why it would unless it was detracting from her job performance.

Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:56 pm

In that case she could be asked to take a leave of absense for a few months. Something tells me that is not it.

Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:00 pm

How can Konkel run for mayor after being fired in such a brutal fashion? The TRC board really messed her up in multiple ways. I am surprised she is not more demonstrably upset about this.

Not knowing more, I feel really bad for her.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:25 am

There is a good chance what really happened will be kept quiet. Which may mean rumors will rule the day.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:22 am

Paleo2 wrote:There is a good chance what really happened will be kept quiet. Which may mean rumors will rule the day.

Yes, and the fact that it happened so abruptly, without any time for a more orderly transition will provide plenty of fuel for the rumor mill.

Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:35 am

I can’t believe that Brenda Konkel will go quietly with just being told “the board wants to go in another direction.” She has been running the place for twenty-three years! It is my understanding that many of the board members are new to their roles. Why would she and her supporters allow her to be brushed off in such a mysterious and dismissive way?

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:49 am

Westsidegal wrote:I can’t believe that Brenda Konkel will go quietly with just being told “the board wants to go in another direction.” She has been running the place for twenty-three years! It is my understanding that many of the board members are new to their roles. Why would she and her supporters allow her to be brushed off in such a mysterious and dismissive way?

What often happens is there are power struggles between the old guard and the new guard. Not saying this is what happened, but if there were a power struggle and the new guard finally had the votes to take over, this is what it would look like.

Or it could be something completely different.

Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:01 pm

Talking today to someone who should know what is going on, it seems this might be a political hit job. This person told me that there are people in Progressive Dane and other progressive circles who are livid that Konkel jumped into the mayor’s race after Satya Rhodes-Conway had already staked out the PD/far left spot in the field. Rhodes-Conway realizes that she is now squeezed between Konkel on her left and Soglin who she had been going around town saying had encouraged her to run with his endorsement. She now really needs to consolidate the Progressive Dane vote behind her. That requires driving Konkel out of the race.

Seems pretty Machiavellian, but we will see.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:01 am

ms konkel running for mayor makes a total of seven to nine in my reckoning . . . a good start -- but also it should be pointed out the clown car still has a huge amount of seating left. one could say that there are already good candidates for the office, but this kind of crowded & raucous mayoral election appears to come around two to five times in a century . . . get the lead out, petitioners -- thirty candidates is the goal to feed the long-overdue political whirlwind. would that it would occur at the same time as an open race for dane county executive and mayor of milwaukee both with at least three dozen candidates . . . damnnn --- that should be a clown bus or clown aeroplane . . .

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:12 am

What percent of the vote is going to be necessary to make the general election with this may candidates? I'm guessing Soglin gets 40%, so maybe the top challenger gets 20% ?

other i
Forum Addict

Postby other i » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:17 am

[quote="... This person told me that there are people in Progressive Dane and other progressive circles who are livid that Konkel jumped into the mayor’s race after Satya Rhodes-Conway had already staked out the PD/far left spot in the field. ....[/quote]

Oh for the days when PD actually went through a process (yes, a process that unnerved some "up and comers" because they actually asked them to support the organization's agenda) in order to attain a PD endorsement. Maybe someone in PD can tell us what happened (or is happening) with that process. Does any one candidate have the PD spot "staked out" at this point in time?

(And a corollary question, coming from an ex-member.... Does anyone think that it matters what PD says or does anymore?)

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:27 am

Westsidegal wrote:Talking today to someone who should know what is going on, it seems this might be a political hit job. This person told me that there are people in Progressive Dane and other progressive circles who are livid that Konkel jumped into the mayor’s race after Satya Rhodes-Conway had already staked out the PD/far left spot in the field. Rhodes-Conway realizes that she is now squeezed between Konkel on her left and Soglin who she had been going around town saying had encouraged her to run with his endorsement. She now really needs to consolidate the Progressive Dane vote behind her. That requires driving Konkel out of the race.

This may or may not be true, but it's certainly credible. Brenda will not be mayor. But she might pull enough votes from Rhodes-Conway to keep her from finishing in the top two in the primary. Problem for them is that since they already fired Konkel, they don't have any leverage now.
It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. My prediction is that Satya makes it to the general election anyway. And might even win it.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:29 am

Coming from a homeless point of view, Brenda was a voice of reason to me in regards to their issues. That's rare. So I always respected her for that.

Marco Polo

Postby Marco Polo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:38 am

Seems more like the outcome of years of dust-ups between the TRC and the county, namely Parisi and recently retired human services head Lynn Green. Add in Konkel's strong opposition to the jail project, along with her closeness with Supv Weitleitner, another critic of the jail project and the county's strategies on homelessness and it makes a lot more sense.

If the TRC, which lost county funding a few years ago, all of sudden has a brand spanking new line item for them in Parisi's budget, I think the jig will be up.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”