Dane County Referendum - Question II (marijuana, do you wanna?)

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

How are you voting?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 14

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dane County Referendum - Question II (marijuana, do you wanna?)

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:13 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Similar results in more conservative Marquette County. But will it influence the Wisconsin Legislature to change the law?

Serious answer- I think it will, over time. Assuming another election cycle with results like this, politicians will find a way to support it simply because their constituents do.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:03 pm

Think of the tax revenues legalization could raise. That money could be used to restore the cuts Walker made to public education and to fix our crumbling roadways.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:49 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Think of the tax revenues legalization could raise. That money could be used to restore the cuts Walker made to public education and to fix our crumbling roadways.

When there's five pot referendums out there and all of them are over seventy percent in favor of legalization, and one is over eighty, you'd think at least some of them might wonder if maybe they ought to at least tone down that "It's illegal for a reason" crap.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:55 pm

The reason is the Tavern League, which is afraid legalized pot would cut into their members' profits. The Tavern League lobbyists have bought the Wisconsin Legislature, hook and sinker. They are also the reason why Wisconsin is the only state that doesn't criminalize first time DUIs.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:01 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The reason is the Tavern League, which is afraid legalized pot would cut into their members' profits. The Tavern League lobbyists have bought the Wisconsin Legislature, hook and sinker. They are also the reason why Wisconsin is the only state that doesn't criminalize first time DUIs.

They can only keep that up for so long. Now that most of their customers want smoke to be available, they aren't going to be quite so unassailable.

As garg says, it'll just take a little more time. Even the League sees the handwriting on the wall. They're just playing delay tactics to rake out a little more profit before they cave.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:05 pm

hopefully next after pot will be legalised op, but i'm not holding my breath

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:52 pm

It's not just the booze industry - the tobacco companies and BigPharm also have a lot of politicians (on both sides of the aisle) in their pocket.

Talk around the campfire says that the Democratics are now gonna make a big push for re-legalization nationwide in order to prevent Trump from making it his issue in 2020.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:02 am

the tavern league should realise that one can put cannabis into beer, wine, šljivovica, vodka, everclear, mead, whiskey, ale, reagent grade anhydrous ethanol or what have u and get a concoction that cannabis enthusiasts will really like called "smash" because the active principles and modifying agents such as Δ-9-tetrahydrocannabinol are soluble in ethanol and/or water -- just like just like putting opium in alcohol for a week and shaking it twice a day, and mixing it with carbonated water -- it will blast right through your stomach wall into your bloodstream like, well, a hot knife through opium . . . u will get smashed really quickly . . .

smash is also not really all that different from tincture of cannabis, a medicine legal until 1943 in the united states that was useful for nausea and appetite suppression secondary to any number of things, like chemotherapy and so forth . . .

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:19 am

I'm sure they realize this. I think they also realize that a person can easily grow and cure a plant, then smoke it and forget to go out to the bar.

In my own humble opinion, that's going to be the scenario for a lot of their customers at least during the beginning of legalization. Putting pot in the liquor is going to create a lot of customers who start nodding out and go home instead of getting belligerent and drinking too much.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:20 pm

That's funny. Nothing says "I'm having a good time" like getting belligerent and drinking too much. I have a friend who is affected by alcohol that way after a certain amount of consumption. Everybody knows when it's time to get ready to leave...or toke him up. That mellows him out, usually.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”