Dane County Referendum - Question II (marijuana, do you wanna?)

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

How are you voting?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 14

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Dane County Referendum - Question II (marijuana, do you wanna?)

Postby Beaver » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:38 am

Dane County Referendum - Question II
Should marijuana be legalized, taxed and regulated in the same manner as alcohol for adults 21 years of age or older?
Last edited by Beaver on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dane County Referendum - Question II

Postby gargantua » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:31 am

I voted no. Not because I don't want it to be legalized, because I do. But taxation and regulation of liquor sales is not something you want to duplicate, what with its "sacred" three-tier distribution system.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:53 am

Yet if you vote no, it will be interpreted, as will all no votes, as being against legalization.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:47 am

All the more reason to present more carefully worded referenda.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:12 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Yet if you vote no, it will be interpreted, as will all no votes, as being against legalization.

What jman said. I have no control over how people choose to interpret my vote. Whoever worded both referendum questions did a terrible job. I don't think people would be very happy with a regulatory regime similar to alcohol's. And once imposed, we'll never be rid of it. Just like alcohol.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:51 am

I'm okay with the regulation part - I don't like it but it does need to be regulated somehow - as long as people are allowed to grow your own for personal consumption like we are with alcohol. But the question doesn't ask about that.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:03 pm

There is no way that if marijuana was legalized, it wouldn't be both taxed and regulated. That is a given. But as an advisory referendum, details on taxation and regulation would only be confusing and lead to more people rejecting the proposal to legalize.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:05 pm

Which may have been someone's plan all along.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:16 pm

Do you think that Dane County would run a marijuana referendum in order to get it rejected? That seems far fetched.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:57 pm

Do I want it legalized? Yes. Do I want it regulated and taxed? Yes. Do I want it regulated and taxed like they currently do alcohol? No.

That is the question as posed. Maybe Dane County intends to tell the legislature that when it comes time to legalize (and that time will come), do NOT tax and regulate it like alcohol.

As an aisde, these advisory referenda are laughable to me. As if the state gives one rat's ass about what some libtards in Dane County think.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:53 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Do you think that Dane County would run a marijuana referendum in order to get it rejected? That seems far fetched.

The idea that someone on the committee who is secretly against legalized marijuana would deliberately sabotage the question by making it ambiguous is a bit of a stretch, yes.

But given the past few years, maybe not quite as long a stretch as you think.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:10 pm

I voted for real today, and decided to vote yes. I'll be sure to let my intelligent and responsive state legislators know that I support taxation and regulation, just don't use liquor regulations as a model.

evergreen

Postby evergreen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:17 pm

If they were to strike "in the same manner as alcohol" I'd vote yes, but as it stands I have to say no. If you go through the trouble and expense to put this on the ballot, you really should think about the wording.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dane County Referendum - Question II (marijuana)

Postby Donald » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:37 pm

I have never voted for the sin industries in any of their various forms (liquor, gambling, drugs). It's not that I think pot users are evil or demons or anything of that sort. I have had experience with the liquor and "gaming" lobbyists in another state. Believe me, Wisconsin's people aren't any different. The Tavern League: awful, awful people, who have inordinate amounts of sway with politicians. All that will happen with legalization is that pot will become just like the gambling or liquor interests, paying off legislators and political parties to do their bidding. It will simply add to the problem of impaired drivers that are on the roads killing people. Plus, I don't like breathing the foul air, and the smoke gets in their clothes and stinks as bad as pig manure. No, thanks.

I have no doubt this thing will pass, but I'm voting no.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dane County Referendum - Question II (marijuana)

Postby gargantua » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:26 pm

Donald wrote:I have never voted for the sin industries in any of their various forms (liquor, gambling, drugs). It's not that I think pot users are evil or demons or anything of that sort. I have had experience with the liquor and "gaming" lobbyists in another state. Believe me, Wisconsin's people aren't any different. The Tavern League: awful, awful people, who have inordinate amounts of sway with politicians. All that will happen with legalization is that pot will become just like the gambling or liquor interests, paying off legislators and political parties to do their bidding. It will simply add to the problem of impaired drivers that are on the roads killing people. Plus, I don't like breathing the foul air, and the smoke gets in their clothes and stinks as bad as pig manure. No, thanks.

I have no doubt this thing will pass, but I'm voting no.

Not going to try to change your mind, especially since I don't disagree with some of your points. You should know that vaping THC is a thing now, and it's odorless enough that I have had friends doing it right next to me and I barely noticed.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”