How to get free taxpayer dollars

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

How to get free taxpayer dollars

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Just threaten to move your manufacturing out of the state.

State says Kimberly-Clark now interested in tax incentives, lawmakers to push for summer session

State lawmakers are signaling they may come back into legislative session this summer to work on an incentive package for Kimberly-Clark, which is based in Neenah.

The Appleton Post Crescent reported Tuesday morning that the company would be willing to work with the state on an incentive package to keep some 600 jobs in Wisconsin.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How to get free taxpayer dollars

Postby gargantua » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:14 pm

This is ridiculous. It borders on blackmail. I'd tell them to fuck off, and use every legal mechanism at my disposal to make it difficult for them to leave. Call it departure tax. Call it whatever you want. I'm not bribing them with other people's money to stay.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:21 am

i dare say this isn't the same thing as foxconn, as poorly done as that was -- the kimberly-clark thing is outright extortion. do they want the session now because they think the hoi polloi and others are going to revolt in november and throw a bunch of people out of office?

so wisconsin is so business-friendly now that a big corporation ostensibly wants out? maybe they will learn something by being in the same boat as organised labour and the poor and sick and chronic pain people in this state since those terrorists got things rolling in 2011 . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:29 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Just threaten to move your manufacturing out of the state.

State says Kimberly-Clark now interested in tax incentives, lawmakers to push for summer session

State lawmakers are signaling they may come back into legislative session this summer to work on an incentive package for Kimberly-Clark, which is based in Neenah.

The Appleton Post Crescent reported Tuesday morning that the company would be willing to work with the state on an incentive package to keep some 600 jobs in Wisconsin.

taking their cue from professional sport teams in the last 15 years of the previous century, no doubt . . .

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:28 pm

Senate leaders talk about Kimberly Clark incentives

At first it looked dead, because a few Republicans wouldn't vote for it. Now Senate Republican Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald is trying to get the votes of Democrats in the Senate.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:54 am

Gov. Walker optimistic about Kimberly-Clark tax incentive bill

The governor wants lawmakers to approve a tax incentive package that could cost up to $100 million.

If this deal through that means much more taxpayer money will be given away.

you must be joking
Forum God/Goddess

Postby you must be joking » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:59 pm

It may come as a surprise to all of you, but I can only AGREE with All of You!

As I have stated similarly before on another post: It is not the job of government to pick the winners or losers in the free market.

I was and still am against the State of Wisconsin giving away money to FoxCon or to Kimberly Clark or to any other business in order to get that business to move to Wisconsin or to stay here.

Since no one in government has access to a crystal ball that will reveal the future in great detail, we should not invest tax payer money in a business that might well go the way with the 8 track cassette in 10 years or less. Nor should we invest tax payer money in a business that makes a product that all of us use just because we want to keep it here.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:38 pm

Walker voters up north were also pissed about the FocCon deal, as it would only add jobs to the southeastern part of the state. With elections coming up, Walker and the Republicans in the Legislature needed to regain their support with these sweet deals for Kimberly Clark.

As the political science adage goes: all politics are local.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:22 pm

Looks like the GOP is worried about how this giveaway will effect the upcoming elections. After that, I expect them to ram it through any lame duck session.

Political Environment blogger James Rowen accuses the state Senate's leadership of getting "cold feet" in voting on a possible Foxconn-like subsidy for Kimberley-Clark to keep some 600 jobs in the Neenah area. He notes that Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald won't hold the special session until after voters have gone to the polls on Nov. 6.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:42 pm

The bill for taxpayers is $28 million.

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has reached a deal with consumer-products giant Kimberly-Clark Corp. worth up to $28 million over five years to keep a plant open and save nearly 400 jobs.

The deal Walker announced Thursday at the plant in Neenah was reached under powers Walker currently has but that would be taken away under a bill Republicans passed in a lame-duck session last week. Walker called for the bills from the Legislature on Thursday, meaning he has six days to take action on them.

The deal with Kimberly-Clark through the state's economic development agency. Under the lame-duck bill, the Legislature, not the governor, would have to approve of such deals in the future.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:14 am

So what does Kimberly-Clark do after getting tens of millions of taxpayer dollar? They will close a different plant in Wisconsin and lay off a hundred workers.

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:11 pm

I'm gonna move my tweeting and foroning out of state in 2019 unless the legislature appropriates $50 million to keep my operations here.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:24 pm

With the Foxconn deal, WI set the value of one job at about $230k. I'd settle for that.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”