"Soglin will not seek, nor will he accept..."

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Soglin will not seek, nor will he accept..."

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:52 pm

IU2Bmanoletters wrote:Well, I'll give Paul Soglin another bit of faint praise; turns out he's nothing if not unpredictable.

And he is truly a relic, somewhat in the style of Mayor Richard J. Daley, who was Chicago's ultimate boss from 1955-1976.

Soglin was beaten and arrested at anti-war protests. Daley ordered the beating and arresting of anti-war protestors. Does that make them somewhat in the same style?

timby
Forum Addict

Postby timby » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:26 pm

gargantua wrote:I was considering Rhodes-Conway before this. In response to Soglin's announcement, one of the things she complained about is the lack of a bus rapid transit system. I'd like to see that too, but I wonder how she plans to pay for it. It's either new revenue, which is hard to come by due to state-imposed levy limits, or we'll have to cut other things. For example, the Public Market. Maybe people believe that bus rapid transit is more important than a public market. I really hope the details, rather than just the aspirations, are thoroughly debated in the coming weeks.

The location chosen for the public market is in no way a food desert, nor does it serve more than one major bus route. That said, the BRT system just feels like a paper tiger because Soglin's jealous of Milwaukee.

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:25 pm

Henry Vilas: I certainly remember the days when Paul Soglin was a lefty, decades before the misnomer "Progressive" was carelessly and habitually applied to him. I don't overlook his brave and commendable acts from days of yore, particularly in 1967-68, when he really took some licks at the hands of the MPD's notorious goon squad. Hell, I was outside the Miffland Co-Op in May 1969, during one of the biggest cops vs. hippies riots - got teargassed myself at the fine old age of six. I know a thing or two about Paul's illustrious ancient history.
What I was referring to in the context of 2018 is Soglin's autocratic, irascible, entirely pro-corporate leadership "style," and his tenure of approximately 22 years as "Hiz honor." That's a time span quite comparable to Mayor Daley's. For far too long, Soglin's been a transparent, opportunistic sellout who should step aside and let some new blood ascend the levers of municipal power. Now's the time to sweep out the dead wood, and let some new broom attain that high office, so he/she might ultimately succumb to the same remunerative temptations that ruined Paul... about three or four decades ago. (LOL.)
"Keep the council crazy
The number of alders goes to the heart of local democracy:"
"I support keeping the current part-time 20-member city council while Soglin wants a full-time 10-member body:"
https://isthmus.com/opinion/opinion/num ... democracy/
Last edited by IU2Bmanoletters on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:20 pm

timby wrote:
gargantua wrote:I was considering Rhodes-Conway before this. In response to Soglin's announcement, one of the things she complained about is the lack of a bus rapid transit system. I'd like to see that too, but I wonder how she plans to pay for it. It's either new revenue, which is hard to come by due to state-imposed levy limits, or we'll have to cut other things. For example, the Public Market. Maybe people believe that bus rapid transit is more important than a public market. I really hope the details, rather than just the aspirations, are thoroughly debated in the coming weeks.

The location chosen for the public market is in no way a food desert, nor does it serve more than one major bus route. That said, the BRT system just feels like a paper tiger because Soglin's jealous of Milwaukee.

I think the public market is a solution looking for a problem. The number of food dollars spent in Madison is probably not very elastic. While supporting regional food producers and farms is a fine idea, can we show they don't already have a good strong distribution network in Madison? If dollars move to the public market, where will they be taken from? Why is this a good idea?

And I agree about the BRT idea. Let us see a map of the route and some projections of ridership. I'm all for more public transit but determining the best route to start with needs to be based on some thorough research. And we need to know BRT is the most cost-effective solution to whatever transit problem is diagnosed.

The idea a mayor has to have some flashy flagship proposal to get elected is outdated. We are not in an era where big new government projects are necessarily desirable. I'd rather see good sound management and a few well-chosen smaller initiatives -- getting government facilities to a net-zero carbon emissions status? supporting and expanding a network of neighborhood centers to help youth and low income families?

I want the next mayor to have management experience, including openness to the use of new technology to the benefit of various city departments.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:59 pm

snoqueen wrote:The idea a mayor has to have some flashy flagship proposal to get elected is outdated. We are not in an era where big new government projects are necessarily desirable. I'd rather see good sound management and a few well-chosen smaller initiatives....

Yes. I think local food is a good idea, but not the public market. I'd like to see more neighborhood gardens, a push on urban agriculture, using TIF as it was intended to improve run down properties and neighborhoods, rather than to pay off the elite developments.

Why are we allowing the building hotels in places (near Hilldale) that would be good for senior housing for residents? We seem to prioritize out-of-town people who stay a weekend over seniors who are here year around? How did we allow Hill Farms to be rebuilt and then not deal with parking? Why can't EPIC build its own goddam hotels on its campus and prevent all the traffic?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:48 pm

Donald wrote:
snoqueen wrote:The idea a mayor has to have some flashy flagship proposal to get elected is outdated. We are not in an era where big new government projects are necessarily desirable. I'd rather see good sound management and a few well-chosen smaller initiatives....
How did we allow Hill Farms to be rebuilt and then not deal with parking?

They built a big parking ramp,if you're referring to the state office building.

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:08 pm

“'I firmly believe it is in the best interest of the city,' Mayor Paul Soglin said of the recommended option:"
"Finance Committee approves spending $11 million to keep Judge Doyle Square project moving:"
https://madison.com/ct/news/local/govt- ... feae0.html

"Citizens Against Subsidized Hotels - CA$H:"
https://www.facebook.com/pg/NoCashSubsi ... e_internal

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:14 pm

Yeah, I had to part company with Soggy on that one. Imagine what the late Eugene Parks would have to say.

timby
Forum Addict

Postby timby » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:04 pm

Judge Doyle Square and its genesis have always left a bitter taste in my mouth, especially because Soglin ran in 2011 because he was frothing mad about the TIF proposal to rebuild The Edgewater (in fairness, justifiably so, because that area was in no way blighted). But then like a year later he turns around and basically says that the alternative to the City not financing a hotel for Monona Terrace is fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, rivers and seas boiling, forty years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.

And then at every turn he's pushed the City into spending more and more money on something that seems less feasible by the day, considering how horrifically over-budget it is and the company the City chose to develop the area seems to want nothing at all to do with Madison anymore given how nasty that lawsuit has gotten. I mean, I've worked in tourism and I get the need for more hotel rooms to support Monona Terrace, but for heaven's sake, there are two new hotels going up like a block away from each other on State Street and at the MATC building, let's see how they do in assisting convention booking. In short, the City should not be providing public funding to projects that compete with private enterprise, and I really soured on Soglin when he spent years demanding it and fighting with the Council over it.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:42 pm

There was a thread on the new convention center hotel idea that I'd love to find. It was titled something like "It's more of a Shelbyville idea" that was a take off on a Simpsons cartoon about a monorail. It was hilarious and fit this project quite well.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:36 am

I think Soglin has pretty effectively triangulated things so that he is unbeatable in town as far as "leftiness". On a scale of Madison (not national) leftiness, he is still a solid 7, so he will always have enough votes to beat an opponent who will (in most cases) be more liberal than him.

The only way he can probably be beaten is if he picks some absurd issue or unpopular project to advocate repeatedly during the campaign. Of course, that is *exactly* the type of thing he might randomly do, so the chance of an upset is always there. It's like a pro wrestling match where the champion may or may not get smashed with a chair, except that in this case the champ would pummel himself before his opponent had a chance.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:52 pm

gargantua wrote:
Donald wrote:
How did we allow Hill Farms to be rebuilt and then not deal with parking?

They built a big parking ramp,if you're referring to the state office building.

Yes, they did, but who is parking in it? Rennebohm Park and all the side streets west and south are parked up every day. I suppose some are catching the bus, but most that I see are heading across the park, through the parking lots of the parking areas of apartment complexes and walking over to the new office building. Does it fill up by 8:00 or are people being charged to park there?

If I were one of Walker's minions, I wouldn't spend a dime parking in this facility either, not after what he's done to the state workers wages and benefits over the last 8 years. Some of those people aren't making enough to pay high parking rates. It would be like working an hour just to park for work.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:02 pm

Oh yeah, it costs a king's ransom to park there. I've heard different numbers, and they range from $85-$100 per month. So even if you accept the lower number, that's $1020 year. I'd go out of my way to avoid that too.
Anyhoo, the city had little or no leverage over what the state did here. It was in a pretty tough spot. At the time the state was planning this, some of the "fuck Madison every chance we can" crowd in the Legislature was advancing bills to move state offices out of Madison.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:23 am

it's unfortunate that mr soglin went over to the side of wanting a smaller, full time, "professional" easier-to-wield city council -- back when pro-rick phelps' factions of the democratic party and others wanted a seven-member dane county board of supervisors because his people could not win elections, didn't soglin have a clever word or two about it for the press and activists?

but i am still elated to hear that he is back in the race, naturally . . .

the 20.x.2018 isthmus verily saith unto us:
The mayor says the flood crisis the city faced in August is one reason he’s running again. He’d like to see through infrastructure improvements to help mitigate future flooding.

“The public’s positive reaction to the city’s response [to the flooding] did have some influence over my decision,” says the mayor.

-- https://isthmus.com/news/news/the-knive ... or-Soglin/

on the second night of the areal/regional/lake-overflow flooding* on the near east side and other areas i was thinking much the same thing . . . they say it is not a good idea to change horses in mid-stream . . . how about when crossing a street which has turned into a river?

long live soglin! w00p!

now, there still needs to be 29+ more people running, of course, as pointed out in another post above.

---
* remember how there was a lot of flooding from widespread very heavy rains, the most significant in an area with its core running from la crosse to madison and little further, up to almost ~20 inches/~500 mm of rain for august alone in the autumn of 2007 and the same thing happened to some extent in 1992? then there was some ice-jam flooding on some rivers the subsequent late winter and the hose really got turned on in late april-early june of the next year . . .

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:53 pm

Return to “Local Politics & Government”