"Soglin will not seek, nor will he accept..."

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Soglin will not seek, nor will he accept..."

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Paleo2 wrote:There are things I really don't like about Soglin.

That being said, he is at least an extremely competent administrator with a very deep understanding of how Madison runs.

I'll wait to see who his challenger might be.

That's also my take on the mayoral race.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:15 pm

Title says it well:

'His ego is too big': Candidates for Madison mayor react to Paul Soglin entering race
https://madison.com/ct/news/local/govt- ... 3BEF2C94B1

"Several candidates said it is time for a new administration. They expressed the need to bring people together, make changes that Madison residents talk about and a desire for fresh ideas...“His ego is too big not to allow anyone else to run,” Pettaway, who entered the race in September, said. “He thinks he is the only qualified candidate to run the city of Madison.”

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:39 pm

I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe that any of his opponents would be better than Soglin. If anyone makes that case, she or he has my vote. Who do you think is better, Shorty, and why? I'll listen.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:51 am

The mayoral election isn’t for over a year.

Jeez, I am so old I remember when even presidential candidates waited until after the new year to announce.

Good that Soglin is letting people know early, though, since others were already getting in the race based on his not running.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:28 am

Actually, that's not true.

The election is in April, 2019. Less than six months. Nomination papers are due in January. I don't think candidates can wait until the new year to announce.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:19 am

I forgot about the spring elections.

In that case, this is fairly late in the game for Soglin to change his mind. I would guess at least some of the candidates made their decision to run based on Soglin leaving office.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:03 am

gargantua wrote:Who do you think is better, Shorty, and why? I'll listen.

I already said I'm voting for ABS...Anyone But Soglin. Because we need a change. I don't like career politicians that hang on past retirement age...Risser, Soglin, Shirley Abrahamson, LaFolette, etc.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:09 am

Shorty wrote:

I already said I'm voting for ABS...Anyone But Soglin. Because we need a change. I don't like career politicians that hang on past retirement age...Risser, Soglin, Shirley Abrahamson, LaFolette, etc.

Count me as ABS, too. I've liked Soglin, but it's really time for someone different as mayor and something different for Soglin. I voted for him before, but never again, and that's not because I don't think he's been a good mayor.

With me, it's not the age issue. I've seen oldsters be great leaders. My problem is that it's not healthy to have so little turnover in top leadership positions. We're close to becoming an oligarchy of the left here in Madison. You want people who have leadership skills to lead, not have to sit in line and wait till they get Medicare to have an impact. Really, isn't that how Soglin became Soglin?

I'd rather see Soglin going back to working from the outside, helping build leadership in community groups and on issues. I think he would be great at that. I remember when I was young whippersnapper looking up to and learning so much from elders who had experience in fighting the powers that be. He'd be even better at this, because he knows so much about governance. He could give the inside view of how to fight from the outside.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:41 am

Or, he could spend his dotage returning to being the public face of a company that ironically practices age discrimination. That would be an Epic career move.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:40 pm

Shorty wrote:

I don't like career politicians that hang on past retirement age...Risser, Soglin, Shirley Abrahamson, LaFolette, etc.

Would have saved a little time if you'd have said that in your first post. It is a fact that the people you listed are older than the normal retirement age.
That aside, I am interested in hearing about who other people do support and why. I was having trouble choosing someone before Soglin decided to run again.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:01 pm

When is the run-off election?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Spring Primary Election - Tuesday, Feb. 19
Spring Election - Tuesday, Apr. 2

From the City Clerk's office

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:19 pm

I think a lot of people will wait to decide who Soglin’s challenger is in the runoff.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:05 pm

I was considering Rhodes-Conway before this. In response to Soglin's announcement, one of the things she complained about is the lack of a bus rapid transit system. I'd like to see that too, but I wonder how she plans to pay for it. It's either new revenue, which is hard to come by due to state-imposed levy limits, or we'll have to cut other things. For example, the Public Market. Maybe people believe that bus rapid transit is more important than a public market. I really hope the details, rather than just the aspirations, are thoroughly debated in the coming weeks.

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:42 pm

Well, I'll give Paul Soglin another bit of faint praise; turns out he's nothing if not unpredictable.
And he is truly a relic, somewhat in the style of Mayor Richard J. Daley, who was Chicago's ultimate boss from 1955-1976.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”