"Soglin will not seek, nor will he accept..."

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

"Soglin will not seek, nor will he accept..."

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:43 pm

This is of enormous.... "portent," is that the word? And there has been quite bit of Enormity in his recent administrations, too. Taking into account Soglin's vicious antipathy vs. homeless Madisonians....
Well, g'bye "Mayor-for-life" Paul and thanks for all the cruelties; thanks for being an irascible, tyrannical, intransigent political institution, in this, my (our) town. Oh wait, maybe I was talking about LBJ...
Indeed I was, but about Soggy (mustache) Soglin as well.
On the other hand, I give Paul credit for knowing, in cases of municipal emergency, where to dig up that hidden $400,000, some contingency, say, that bridges the gap between disaster and rainy day. He certainly knows the ropes at City Hall better than just about anybody.
"Soglin won't run for re-election as Madison mayor:"
https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/articl ... 082327.php

"President Lyndon B. Johnson 'I Will Not Run' Address to the Nation:"

So take THAT one to heart, Paul Soglin! LBJ stepped down in March '68, A fellow Democrat and a quitter, like YOU!
Nah, I'm just kidding! Whatever else, Paul ain't no quitter. He's been Mayor for what four terms, like...12 years, or was that 16? Egads, it's actually been like 22 years, all told. Say WHHHHHAAAATT!?!? Maybe there IS a valid argument for term limits after all!
Last edited by IU2Bmanoletters on Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Soglin will not seek, nor will he accept..."

Postby gargantua » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:50 pm

It's obvious that he has his detractors, and his personality has never been warm and fuzzy. But he's been a damn good mayor. City services typically work very well. The city itself, as a whole, is doing very well economically. There haven't been any major scandals on his watch. The city consistently shows up on 10 best cities for this and that lists. Sure, he hasn't been successful in solving the homeless problem or the plight of people of color, but it isn't because he hasn't tried.
Look around the country and tell me who has solved those problems, and maybe I'll give the bitching more credence. Mustache, prickly demeanor and all, he's going to be remembered as one of the greatest mayors in this city's history.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:50 pm

Free at last, free at last!

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:07 pm

But he's been a damn good mayor. City services typically work very well. The city itself, as a whole, is doing very well economically. There haven't been any major scandals on his watch. The city consistently shows up on 10 best cities for this and that lists.

I agree on the whole. He's a good manager of a city. We've got our problems, and we've got built-in advantages as well, but he's kept things running for a long time. All I need to do is look back to some of the unsuccessful mayors in between Soglin's terms to realize things could have been much worse.

But it's time to move on -- I agree with that as well. Nationwide, at levels from president to senator to governor to mayor, it's time for younger people to take a whack at our problems and opportunities. The baby boom generation needs to step aside and give new leadership a chance to develop and achieve, or not achieve.

What would you call government by old people? Gerontocracy? Not something to aspire to.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:30 pm

Good decision Paul, enjoy your retirement. Sorry I didn't say hi at that Epic anniversary party but you wanted it too much.

nonyuppie
Forum Addict

Postby nonyuppie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:12 am

Bring back Mayor Dave.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:25 am

nonyuppie wrote:Bring back Mayor Dave.

Does the Edgewater need more taxpayer money (that will come at the cost of the Madison Metropolitan School District)?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:44 am

I'll see your Mayor Dave and raise you a Sue Bauman.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:10 pm

gargantua wrote:

I'll see your Mayor Dave and raise you a Sue Bauman.

I'll go all in on Mayor Rhodes-Brenda Cheeks, but that might be playing right into the dealer's hand...Ohhh, Madcity, ain't no place for a poor boy like me...to paraphrase Gram Parsons.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:16 am

Soglin changed mind and now says he will run for reelection.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:28 am

Not surprised and frankly, I'd still vote for Paul over the others.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:01 pm

Talk about over staying your welcome. I will vote for his challenger, as usual. I just don't like dictators.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:03 pm

david cohen wrote:Not surprised and frankly, I'd still vote for Paul over the others.

Same here. I know his personality hasn't worn well with some folks, but I really think he's been a good mayor.
Shorty, if you think Soglin or any Mayor can be a dictator in this town, you really don't know much about local government.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:39 pm

Shorter Soglin: "Psych!"

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:25 pm

There are things I really don't like about Soglin.

That being said, he is at least an extremely competent administrator with a very deep understanding of how Madison runs.

I'll wait to see who his challenger might be.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”