Civil War Monuments/Shots fired by elementary school

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Cornelius Gotchberg
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Civil War Monuments/Shots fired by elementary school

Postby Cornelius Gotchberg » Wed May 09, 2018 8:48 am

@Bwis53;

I read youse because youse are funny.

The Gotch

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:18 am

Many years ago, I did jury duty in Manhattan. There was a TV series that had just stopped filming for the year, and several actors from that series were on jury duty.

One actress played the girlfriend of a gangster in that movie (she played the girlfriend of the guy who kept saying "get your shine box"). According to this lady, Joe Pesci was even crazier than what is shown in the movie.

She described a take of the "shine box" scene in which Pesci threw his glass into the mirror at the back of the bar, with glass shards flying through the air inches from actors' faces.

I asked her why that take wasn't shown in the movie.

She said several actors "lost control of their bodily functions".

Cornelius Gotchberg
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornelius Gotchberg » Wed May 09, 2018 9:26 am

@Paleo;

The actor that played Billy Batts in Goodfellas (IMHO a CLASSIC!)) was Frank Vincent.

He also played Phil Leotardo in The Sopranos, another classic.

The Gotch

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Unattributed editing

Postby penquin » Thu May 10, 2018 9:07 am

David Blaska wrote:Absolutely untrue. First of all, he doesn't sign off on my blog (davidblaska.com) as "Penguin." Regardless, I challenge whoever this is to prove this falsehood. The only editing I do is to remove the F-bomb.

You are correct about one thing - I don't "sign off" on your blog at all...am assuming that is all on you, but it is possible that you have someone else approving your stuff. But I did sign in on it - as "Penquin" rather than "Penguin"...'tis the same name I use here as well as with co-workers/friends for the past couple decades. (You even commented how I was spelling my own name incorrectly - which takes a special kind of arrogance and jack-assery)

You (or someone else who has access to you blog) most certainly did edit my comments and when I said something about it those comments were edited/deleted as well. Didn't occur to me to take any screenshots of my original posts, but once I saw what you were doing with my words I made this comment which a screen-shot was taken of right after it went up:

As everyone can see, no "F-bomb" or even anything remotely rude...yet you deleted that comment soon after it appeared and then banned me from commenting any more on your blog.

What's especially disgusting is that rather than own up to your actions and say "My blog - my rules" you instead decided to bear false witness against me in an attempt to cover-up what you did. The fact that you are willing to publicly lie about it tells me that you know it wasn't the right thing to do yet you're not mature enough to admit it.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Unattributed editing

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu May 10, 2018 11:42 am

penquin wrote:The fact that you are willing to publicly lie about it tells me that you know it wasn't the right thing to do yet you're not mature enough to admit it.

I went through the same thing with IS & KDA. Incredibly shameless lying, one after the other, with added aggresion, stalking, slander, defamation, theft, mild vandalism. They'll never admit it publicly.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu May 10, 2018 10:36 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:
Zoti Bemba wrote:Wait a second -- what's this? You acknowledge that the actual name of the Democratic Party is... the Democratic Party (of wherever...)? So when referring to it by its' correct name as a political party -- as opposed to the various nicknames used for its' members, supporters or adherents and the derivatives of same that then get applied to party itself -- why wouldn't you use "Democratic Party"? it's the name they chose for themselves. It's the name they're registered under. Not to use it is a sign of either ignorance, carelessness or deliberate disrespect. Guess where the folks who keep on saying "Democrat Party" after they've been repeatedly reminded what the name of the party is land on that spectrum.

Zoti, penquin understands all that. He's trolling. It's pretty much all he does here, and responding to his passive-aggressive excrement is worse than useless.

What you need to understand is that he dislikes this place and most of those who contribute here. But being by nature an abuser and harasser, he can't just walk away. He pops back in from time to time and his best to render the Forum unusable. I think the idea is that if the Forum makes him miserable he's going to make sure it makes everyone else miserable, too.
. . .

information superhighway road rage or something like that?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:40 am

It's not over yet. Confederate monuments are still giving racists erections.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:45 am

Henry Vilas wrote:It's not over yet.

Well, if we're honest with ourselves we know it'll never be over.

I myself am actually amazed that we're removing any confederate monuments at all. I never expected this sort of thing to happen in my lifetime.

you must be joking
Forum God/Goddess

Postby you must be joking » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:38 am

Well it's over.

Yesterday the City Council decided to remove the monument.

According to the State Journal the reason for removing the monument as given by Ald. Allen Arntsen was that it was "best public policy for this city".

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/madison-city-council-overturns-confederate-monument-decision-supports-removal/article_e788d9ef-7123-5fb0-acae-cd477fb78dd0.html

Can anyone tell me how removing a monument to the confederate soldiers who died while in captivity here in Madison some 160+ years ago has anything to do with "best public policy" for the City of Madison today?

If this is the "new normal" in getting rid of any monument of our past that reminds us of our past sins, when are we going to rename east and west Washington Ave?

When are we going to rename Madison?

I guess the real questions I have are: How far should we go in excising the sins of our past history from our current day?

And.

What will be the real effects of excising the past today, do to our culture in the future, when future generations forget the past because of our actions today?

I guess they have never heard the quote from George Santayana that reads: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

But then again, stupid is as stupid does.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:58 am

Did the Kavanaugh thread get a little too hot for ya?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:17 am

Waging war against the U.S. by our citizens (Confederate soldiers) is the very definition of treason. Slave ownership by Washington, Madison, Jefferson, etc., however onerous, was legal. See our Constitution for proof of both my statements.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:33 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Waging war against the U.S. by our citizens (Confederate soldiers) is the very definition of treason. Slave ownership by Washington, Madison, Jefferson, etc., however onerous, was legal. See our Constitution for proof of both my statements.

I'm pretty sure the argument is: We cannot fix all of it, perfectly, right now. Therefore we should not fix any of it. And in fact, even trying to fix any part of it is stupid because our memories and education are so poor that if we don't constantly see memorials praising people who died protecting slavery, then we'll forget that slavery is bad.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:04 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Waging war against the U.S. by our citizens (Confederate soldiers) is the very definition of treason. Slave ownership by Washington, Madison, Jefferson, etc., however onerous, was legal. See our Constitution for proof of both my statements.

Are you not familiar with Antigone?

Bad things happen when you do not honor the dead, even if you consider the dead to be traitors.

Or maybe Euripides wasn't woke enough for your tastes.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:09 am

Ugh! So that's why we got Trump!

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:10 am

you must be joking wrote:Well it's over.

Yesterday the City Council decided to remove the monument.

According to the State Journal the reason for removing the monument as given by Ald. Allen Arntsen was that it was "best public policy for this city".

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/madison-city-council-overturns-confederate-monument-decision-supports-removal/article_e788d9ef-7123-5fb0-acae-cd477fb78dd0.html

Can anyone tell me how removing a monument to the confederate soldiers who died while in captivity here in Madison some 160+ years ago has anything to do with "best public policy" for the City of Madison today?

If this is the "new normal" in getting rid of any monument of our past that reminds us of our past sins, when are we going to rename east and west Washington Ave?

When are we going to rename Madison?

I guess the real questions I have are: How far should we go in excising the sins of our past history from our current day?

And.

What will be the real effects of excising the past today, do to our culture in the future, when future generations forget the past because of our actions today?

I guess they have never heard the quote from George Santayana that reads: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

But then again, stupid is as stupid does.

I think this is the only time since I have been in Madison when I have been truly ashamed to be a Madisonian.

The Common Council not only showed a barbaric lack of respect for the dead, they also showed a lack of respect for the many Madisonians who volunteered their time and belongings to help the POWs at Camp Randall. Had it not been for the good people of Madison, many more POWs would have perished.

Amazing that people who had family hundreds or even a thousand miles from home, fighting against the Confederacy, would show as much compassion for POWs who were fighting their kinsmen as they hoped would be shown to their own kinsmen.

I guess the fiercely pro-Union Madisonians just weren't woke.

At this point, perhaps our city leaders can show how woke they are by digging up the bodies, tarring and feathering the skeletons, and displaying the remains outside the city-county building for all of eternity. That would end racism for all time, wouldn't it?

Return to “Local Politics & Government”