Walker for governor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Walker for governor

Postby Madsci » Wed May 23, 2018 9:15 pm

I really don't understand humanity. Why is Walker our governor?
Never mind I just hang with the goats.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed May 23, 2018 10:07 pm

Madsci wrote:I really don't understand humanity. Why is Walker our governor?
Never mind I just hang with the goats.

Because lazy state employees make too much and have great benefits, and Walker stuck it to them. That plays well outside of Dane and Milwaukee counties. Hopefully people are getting a little tired of his act by now. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:27 am

Lots of working poor in WI.

Wisconsin poverty rose in 2016 despite job growth
https://www.channel3000.com/news/study- ... /751202593

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:08 am

Have to throw the BS flag here. None, (NONE) not a single news source links to any study. They just all link each other, including the Telegraph in the UK.

Do a google on "Wisconsin Poverty Report," and you will find links to the actual study in .PDF. You will then find that it is a tempest in a teapot.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:24 pm

Roy wrote:Have to throw the BS flag here.

It's brown, right?

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:56 pm

Roy wrote:Have to throw the BS flag here. None, (NONE) not a single news source links to any study. They just all link each other, including the Telegraph in the UK.

Do a google on "Wisconsin Poverty Report," and you will find links to the actual study in .PDF. You will then find that it is a tempest in a teapot.

Is that so?
The official source wrote: In fact, overall poverty rates in Wisconsin rose significantly in 2016, to 10.8 percent compared to 9.7 in 2015.
(my emphasis)

I guess a significant rise in poverty is no big deal if don't care about other people's well being.

the summary report wrote:Given evidence that market-income poverty is not decreasing, and that the effects of work requirements for SNAP/FoodShare have reduced program rolls, the state should be careful in implementing mandatory work requirements. Even for adults without children in the household, work alone may not solve the poverty problem under current circumstances. Hence, the state needs to provide work supports, training, placement, and transportation, and in the case of families with children, child care, so that adults can fully participate in labor market. Even then, work alone is likely not to enough to provide an escape from poverty.

Thanks, Walker!

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:14 pm

Barack Obama-linked group targets Scott Walker re-election bid, race to succeed Paul Ryan
https://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local ... 3BEF2C94B1

"A political organizing group linked to former President Barack Obama has outlined plans for 2018 that include helping defeat Gov. Scott Walker in his bid for re-election. Also on the group's target list: the race to succeed outgoing U.S. House Speaker Paul Ryan in southern Wisconsin's 1st Congressional District, and flipping GOP-held seats in the Wisconsin state Senate to Democratic control.

The nonprofit group, Organizing for Action, or OFA, announced the plans Tuesday. It was founded in 2013, after Obama was re-elected, by some of his top aides. Obama does not have a formal role with Organizing for Action, "But the group is directed in large part by his former advisers and is seen by Democrats as reflecting his political priorities," The New York Times reported."

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:34 pm

While I would be extremely happy to see Walker out of office I am not sure how I feel about these out-of-state organizations meddling in our elections.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:52 pm

penquin wrote:While I would be extremely happy to see Walker out of office I am not sure how I feel about these out-of-state organizations meddling in our elections.

As opposed to the Koch brothers and all the out of state money that went to Walker?

Very sad to say this, but when the Republicans will do absolutely anything fair or foul to win, the Democrats cannot afford purity.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:30 pm

It doesn't really matter. Walker's going to win.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:04 am

Paleo2 wrote:As opposed to the Koch brothers and all the out of state money that went to Walker?

Despite what Henry and Jonny say, I was/am against that as well.

Very sad to say this, but when the Republicans will do absolutely anything fair or foul to win, the Democrats cannot afford purity.

Heh. That's the same justification that the Republicans use. "The Dems do it, so we hafta also"

Wash-rinse-repeat

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:15 am

penquin wrote:Despite what Henry and Jonny say...

What?

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:50 am

What's next, calling himself a pro-Union governor?

Walker calls himself 'education governor,' launches new ad touting his record
https://www.channel3000.com/news/politi ... /755246349

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:02 pm

Shorty wrote:What's next, calling himself a pro-Union governor?

Walker calls himself 'education governor,' launches new ad touting his record
https://www.channel3000.com/news/politi ... /755246349

Good one, Shorty. Walker's good at parsing words, so I think he'd say pro-worker.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:22 am

Poll finds Scott Walker job approval still among 10 worst in country
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt ... 01ef1.html

"The online poll — conducted from April 1 through June 30 among 326,051 registered voters in all 50 states, including 6,691 in Wisconsin — found 42 percent of Wisconsin respondents approved of Walker’s job performance while 50 percent disapproved. The margin of error in Wisconsin was 1 percentage point.

That was the ninth-worst showing among the 50 governors and third-worst among governors seeking re-election — only Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner and Alaska Gov. Bill Walker were rated lower. It also hasn’t changed much over the past three quarterly polls."

Return to “Local Politics & Government”