Walker for governor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Walker for governor

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Roy wrote: Just look at all the hate from the left on this forum!

You forgot to add: just look at all the love and kisses from the right-wingers.

Roy just doesn't understand the difference between hate and an entire range of different feelings that, while certainly not positive, fall short of hate. But that's our Roy! Who, for the record, I not only don't hate, but feel a little affection for the guy. Don't ask me why, because I don't get it either.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:58 pm

A guy who can sit there and type "David Hogg is the kind of bully who creates alienated school shooters" is a little too far out there for me.

Accusing a mass shooting survivor of creating mass shootings is pretty far up the scale in heartlessness and hatred. I can't hate him any more than I can hate car problems or big plumbing bills but I can safely say there's not much affection there.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:24 pm

Fair enough. I would hate to be judged for my worst writings in the heat of the moment, but I did put it out there so I can't very well complain about the impression it leaves. Sometimes someone does or says something that leads me to believe that there is more to them than the bad stuff.
And really, being a conservative on the Forum isn't a recipe for bringing out the best in people.

Cornelius Gotchberg
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornelius Gotchberg » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:37 pm

@Henry Vilas;

just look at all the love and kisses from the right-wingers.

"Just look at ALL the Righties on this Forum that are able to give love-n-kisses."

Fixed.

The Gotch

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:03 pm

is there even a speck of a kernel of truth in the hogg/bully thing or is that something some ingrahamite made up from whole cloth? even if it were true, i cannot imagine making the logical leap from that to justification of even a fraction of what happened . . . considering bullying and the like in a root & branch solution to this kind of thing, yes, but one who says this one person bullied the shooter into doing what he did has a very long row to hoe when it comes to proof . . .

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Gov. Scott Walker is pledging he won't leave office during a third term to join President Donald Trump's cabinet.

Lots of assumptions there. Walker is not a shoe-in to win. And it might be President Pence ("a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican, in that order") who would ask him.

If he loses, Walker would jump at the chance. He only knows how take a government paycheck, while all the while condemning others for doing the same. And Walker is another right-wing evangelical (son of a preacher man).

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Walker, in a desperate attempt to get votes, just signed a bill giving tax rebates for those who have kids. The more kids, the more bucks.

That won't help balance the budget. Maybe he can cut state support for public education a little more.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:53 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Walker, in a desperate attempt to get votes, just signed a bill giving tax rebates for those who have kids. The more kids, the more bucks.

That won't help balance the budget. Maybe he can cut state support for public education a little more.

After the election of course.

Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Wino » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:47 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Walker, in a desperate attempt to get votes, just signed a bill giving tax rebates for those who have kids. The more kids, the more bucks.

The taxpayers without kids are obviously not working hard enough.

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:50 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Walker, in a desperate attempt to get votes, just signed a bill giving tax rebates for those who have kids.

Huh. And signed, and signed, and signed it. Governors don't usually travel to four different cities to sign a bill four different times, do they? Unless they need a whole bunch of cute-kid photo-ops, of course, and don't mind getting them on the taxpayers' dime...

https://thepoliticalenvironment.blogspot.com/2018/04/who-paid-for-walkers-four-city-at-least.html

So I suppose if any of the Dem candidates promise not to do this kind of b.s. they'll be accused of running on "Not Scott Walker" -- couldn't be about having some kind of morals or a minimum standard of decorum in public office, could it?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 12, 2018 9:11 am

Even Trump says Walker is doing a terrible job.

Trump goes on the attack again, with Scott Walker as his latest target

“Wisconsin’s doing terribly. It’s in turmoil. The roads are a disaster because they don’t have any money to rebuild them. They’re borrowing money like crazy. They projected a $1 billion surplus, and it turns out to be a deficit of $2.2 billion. The schools are a disaster. The hospitals and education was a disaster."

Although he said this three years ago, I doubt if things have changed that much since then.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat May 12, 2018 9:22 am

Scott Walker to rally GOP by telling them what will be gone with a Democratic win
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 3BEF2C94B1

"The list of policies that Walker says would be swept away by Democrats include:

Act 10, which curbed the power of public-sector unions.
A tax credit that almost entirely eliminates income taxes for manufacturers and farmers.
The University of Wisconsin System tuition freeze.
Photo ID requirements for voting.
The right-to-work employment law.
Drug testing for welfare recipients.
State support for Taiwanese manufacturer Foxconn, which is building a $10 billion manufacturing facility in Racine County with combined state and local tax and other subsidies of about $4.5 billion.

Democratic Party of Wisconsin spokeswoman Melanie Conklin said Walker is “in a panic.” “The people of Wisconsin are against his taking away health care, cutting schools and letting roads crumble just so Foxconn can get $4.5 billion from our state taxpayers,” Conklin said. “So at the convention he plans to twist his record in an attempt to pull Wisconsin voters into an upside-down parallel universe where they won’t remember what his giveaways to the rich and Foxconn are costing the rest of us.”"

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat May 12, 2018 11:39 am

It's just a scare tactic. For example, Act 10 will never be repealed while the GOP controls even one house in the legislature. And I doubt that it would be fully rolled back in any event.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon May 14, 2018 7:43 am

Scott Walker’s campaign stump speech challenged in interview
http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/g ... 3BEF2C94B1

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed May 23, 2018 4:13 pm

Editorial: A fix-the-roads Republican should mount an anti-Scottholes challenge to Walker
It wasn’t a snowstorm that created a crisis on Wisconsin’s highways and byways. It was neglect. Under Walker, a refusal to make even minimally adequate investments in highways, public transit, rail lines, harbors and airports has created a crisis.

As in so many areas, Walker has tried to balance budgets by refusing to do the basic work of state government.

Now it's election time and voters statewide are dodging potholes — or, as they’ve come to be known, Scottholes.

This is a serious problem for Wisconsin. Not just for Democrats but for Republicans. Not just for liberals but for conservatives. The state’s transportation crisis is emblematic of the broader crisis: Walker always puts politics ahead of common sense.

Fill potholes, not wetlands!

Return to “Local Politics & Government”