Tony Evers for governor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tony Evers for governor

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:36 am

The untempered view that perceives the "Democratic" and "Republican" PARTIES as monolithic institutions with nothing WHATSOEVER meaningful to distinguish their respective MEMBERS and/or VOTERS may hold true in a general sense. But such a view is not tempered by taking into account the many differences between individual candidates on vital matters of policy. For example, many of us who are going to cast a vote in the gubernatorial race this coming November are well aware of some of Tony Evers' failings. For example, Evers thus far hasn't opposed the outrageous public subsidy of private profit - to the tune of at least $4.5 billion - that the Foxconn deal represents; that is a terrible position for the Dem candidate to take. But Evers does want to legalize marijuana and significantly reduce the state's prison population, while Walker claims these very sane and really quite necessary steps would make the state a more dangerous place.

I don't know if many viewing this thread remember some of the better things the long-ago, admittedly flawed Doyle administration sought to do, including reducing Wisco's bloated prison population through a process that included early release for some offenders; negotiating with Canadian pharmacies in order to provide cheaper prescription drugs for the state's Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries; and develop passenger rail between Madison and Milwaukee. Walker and his Repub underlings effectively cancelled the first two initiatives I mentioned before they could really get off the ground, and sent $810+ million already allocated by Washington for the rail project BACK to Washington. That refusal to accept Federal funding also meant that Spanish train maker Talgo was basically forced to shutter its Milwaukee manufacturing plant, located in one of Milwaukee's poorest neighborhoods.
So whatever one asserts regarding the two hegemonic American political PARTIES, there are some individuals within the Democratic party (though very few in the GOP) who still - even now - seek to accomplish meaningful, even life-saving/life prolonging policy goals.
"Wisconsin's governor's race viewed as highly competitive:"
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt ... 0f23b.html

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:09 am

Here's what you missed during Walker and Evers' first gubernatorial debate
https://www.channel3000.com/news/here-s ... /812721989

Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:41 am

I voted for Evers, but he won't win, unfortunately. It's a shame. There were some really good choices in the primary, but instead we get the most unexciting candidate possible. Nice guy, very nice guy, but milquetoast all the way. Yeah, I know, he has a little name recognition. That's nowhere near enough to beat a behemoth like Walker, though, who's a lying sack of shit, but a fucking tough opponent. I'm guessing Walker will win by 6 or 7%. I really, really hope I'm wrong.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:46 am

Who would be better than Evers?

In final debate Tony Evers says Wisconsin could have a $15 minimum wage in his first term
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt ... 3BEF2C94B1

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:26 am

Slick Willy wrote:I voted for Evers, but he won't win, unfortunately. It's a shame. There were some really good choices in the primary, but instead we get the most unexciting candidate possible. Nice guy, very nice guy, but milquetoast all the way. Yeah, I know, he has a little name recognition. That's nowhere near enough to beat a behemoth like Walker, though, who's a lying sack of shit, but a fucking tough opponent. I'm guessing Walker will win by 6 or 7%. I really, really hope I'm wrong.

Walker has won each time in the past by an almost identical margin. Hopefully this next time will be different.

His last opponent was an example of the Wisconsin Dems being completely tone deaf and in a bubble. Word has it some focus groups said they would prefer a female and prefer a business person. So they went looking for a female business woman, and basically forced her on the populace. Turns out her brother actually ran the company, and the company outsourced tons of jobs to Taiwan. Oh, and she took a long sabbatical to snowboard while her brother ran the company.

In other words, they had many months to vet the candidate, and came up with the worst vetting since Eagleton.

At least Evers was chosen by voters, and at least he actually accomplished something in his life.

I am hoping the combination of a less bad candidate along with the general anti-GOP sentiment will push Evers over the top.

He does seem to be running a much better media operation now than he did before.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:03 pm

I admit that Evers has been a better candidate than I expected. I still don't expect him to win, due to Walker's vast sums of money and utter lack of scruples, but I do think he has a chance.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:14 pm

Evers faces $1 billion budget shortfall

This is the legacy that Walker has left for Governor-elect Evers.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:26 pm

Hey, at least I didn't have to sacrifice a goat to get rid of Walker as governor.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Evers faces $1 billion budget shortfall

This is the legacy that Walker has left for Governor-elect Evers.

This shortfall is based on agency requests. I can tell you from personal experience that most agencies don't get what they request. This won't be a problem for Evers. His challenge is to find funding for his priorities, and get it through a hostile legislature. The biennial budget process will really test his mettle. But not because of this largely illusory shortfall.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:52 am

Wisconsin Legislature Weakens Incoming Democratic Governor By Restricting His Access To Food, Water, Shelter
https://politics.theonion.com/wisconsin ... 1830884970

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:32 pm

Mr. Evers MIGHT help start "Cheddar Rebellion#2," mindful that it must be totally "peaceful," or at least "non-violent." The majority of Madison's PC Libs and Lefties undoubtedly participate in nothing else. They're the kind who consider graffiti scrawled (IN CHALK, no less) on some wall, perhaps even on a damn SIDEWALK a "violent act." Oh, and naturally those Dem lawsuits vs. Repubs' unconstitutional lame duck legislation should proceed full speed ahead.
BTW, don't forget I voted for Mr. Evers, exhorted others to do the same, and remain convinced it was the only practical and decent course of action last election day.
"What can Tony Evers really do?"
https://madison.com/ct/news/local/govt- ... SReDj-hNPw

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:09 pm

Conservative WILL beefs up fundraising, media efforts as Tony Evers prepares to take office
https://madison.com/ct/news/local/govt- ... 3BEF2C94B1

Return to “Local Politics & Government”