Tony Evers for governor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tony Evers for governor

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Yet Tammy Baldwin, a lesbian, beat the most popular R governor of all time.

A black guy out of Chicago won twice.

Bernie Sanders likely would've walloped Trump re: a vote for Hillary in the primary really was a vote for Trump.

So there's hope, I hope...

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:01 pm

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:58 pm

True, but I hope not, lol!

MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby MPMay » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:34 pm

gargantua wrote:
timby wrote:Evers would have a head-start out of the gate just simply for not being a Dane or Milwaukee County Democrat.

I know that's the popular wisdom, but in my lifetime, Pat Lucey, Anthony Earl, and Jim Doyle all came out of Dane County. A good candidate, at the right time, can come from anywhere. Look, I like Evers. But he's no match for Walker. We need a candidate who will get in there and mix it up with Walker. Soglin will, rhetorically, be happy to punch him in the face. Walker never had to face someone like that.

Tony Earl was from Wausau. He was DA and then replaced Dave Obey in the Assembly when Obey went to Congress. Yes, he also served as DNR secretary, but his home was Wausau.

I think Tony Evers is a great Superintendent of Public Instruction.

Comrade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:19 pm

I have known Evers since he was the superintendent of Verona and that's more than 20 years.

Honestly, and unpartisan--he is nice guy. He is a decent administrator, he is intelligent, and he can maintain the status quo.

He is NOT a leader. He has no vision and no charisma.

Any competent candidate would eat him alive.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:11 pm

If Evers makes a compelling case for public education, in the face of the GOP's attempt to destroy said institution, he might have a chance.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:30 am

I have known Evers since he was the superintendent of Verona and that's more than 20 years.

Honest, and unpartisan--he is nice guy. He is a decent administrator, he is intelligent, and he can maintain the status quo.

He is NOT a leader. He has no vision and no charisma.

Any competent candidate would eat him alive.

Well, it depends on what you call "charisma." Maybe, just maybe, voters will be looking for a less confrontational person (than what we have seen at the gubernatorial and presidential election) and that "nonpartisan" description helps too. To his credit, he does seem to have vision with respect to education and that is something Scott Walker doesn't have. He's also not an unknown factor and is familiar with politics.

I'd say he's the best looking of the Democratic candidates to put his name forward so far.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:16 am

fflambeau posted on a non-Trump thread. Well done. Looks like a crowded Dem field.

Wisconsin superintendent launches challenge against Walker
http://www.channel3000.com/news/wiscons ... /611338919

"He joins a crowded field of at least 18 Democrats who have said they are looking at a run. He is the fifth to say he is definitely running."

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Evers may be from Dane County, but he's spent decades in the state Superintendent's office working for and cultivating relationships with people in every community in Wisconsin. I would think he's knows more people upstate and downstate than any other candidate, and knows more about the economic conditions and pressures in all parts of the state having worked with local districts all those years.

Is Walker charismatic? No. I've seen him in person. He's looks shifty and dishonest, but he covers it up with a choirboy tone of voice. Evers has a bit of the choirboy personality, too, except he's honest.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:05 pm

In order to win, the Democrats need more strength in rural areas.
All over the country, rural areas are becoming increasingly Republican. Not just Wisconsin.
It wasn't that long ago when many people in rural areas were Democrats. For example, Bill Clinton was always proud of the great amount of support he had in rural areas, esp. in Arkansas, esp. the hill people.

Some of the people who posted in the old days mentioned that Kohl had a great relationship with farmers, esp. the dairy farmers. That is the sort of thing the Democrats need. I don't know how well Evers does in the rural areas.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Evers officially became a candidate on Wednesday. He wisely chose the theme that Walker is divisive rather than a healer and also that Walker has cut funds for all schools. It's a subject he knows well. He has the kind of low-key personality that might go over big with voters after the Trump effect has worn off (which it has).

Evers is undoubtedly a nice guy but just saying he's not Walker won't win him the election (Feingold also tried that; it didn't work). He has to come out with some really progressive economic policies.

For this reason, I'd prefer Mayor Soglin because I think he can make the real case for progressives and stand on economic issues.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:57 pm

Paul Soglin would run an aggressive campaign built around progressivism and win.

Evers is too Homer Milquetoast: exactly what Walker & Co. want. He has no economic plans. He even came out AGAINST a higher minimum wage. He also failed to criticize Foxconned.

Nice man but best as Superintendent of Schools, not as governor.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:01 pm

"In order to win, the Democrats need more strength in rural areas."

Wrong. There aren't people in those areas. 1) Hillary failed to campaign personally in Wisconsin. It cost her big time.
2) Dems need to win big in Madison and Milwaukee (where turnout was down in 2016) and also run hard in Eau Claire-La Crosse, traditionally Democratic areas. 3) They should also stress Racine/Kenosha. Forget the rural areas. No one lives there.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:04 pm

Soglin would win big if he ran on a really progressive, LaFollette like platform. He could endorse weed for medical purposes. But if I was him, I would stress pocketbook issues and job creation.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:10 am

At least, he's attacking the Foxconned deal:

"Evers Campaign Ad Hits Walker On Foxconn
Democrat's Radio Ad Is The Most Direct Attack Yet Against Governor's $3B Foxconn Deal
Monday, August 28, 2017, 2:15pm
By Shawn Johnson

One of the Democratic candidates for governor is running a radio ad attacking what he's calling "the Donald Trump, Scott Walker $3 billion deal for Foxconn."

"Sounds good for Foxconn, but what's in it for the rest of us?" says Tony Evers in the minute-long radio spot unveiled by his campaign Monday. "Just think if we invested that money in our schools instead."

Other Democratic candidates for governor have also criticized the massive incentives package to bring a Foxconn manufacturing plant to the state, which passed the Wisconsin Assembly earlier this month and is awaiting action in the state Senate.

But the ad by Evers, who is Wisconsin's superintendent of the state Department of Public Instruction, marks the most aggressive attack yet by a Democrat against a deal Walker and his campaign have touted as a "once-in-a-century opportunity" and an example of the governor delivering results. ...

The Evers ad also attacks the estimated 25 years it would take for state government to "break even" with Foxconn, the exemptions the company would receive from environmental permits, and the lack of any ironclad guarantee that the jobs generated would go to Wisconsin residents.

Evers' campaign said the radio ad will run in the Milwaukee, Green Bay and Wausau media markets."

http://www.wpr.org/evers-campaign-ad-hi ... er-foxconn

Some comments:

1) run the ad statewide, not just in the cities mentioned.
2) run on a more progressive platform: raise the minimum wage; make tuition for all college students first 4 years free; expand medical care in Wisconsin; spend more money on roads and infrastructure. Take a page from Bernie Sanders (and ask him to come campaign for you).
3) tie Walker to Trump. Specifically, attack Walker for not condemning Trump on his Charlottessville statements and on Sheriff Joe's pardon.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”