Tony Evers for governor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Tony Evers for governor

Postby Shorty » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:49 pm

What do you think? He has a history of winning state wide elections.

State Superintendent Tony Evers considers run for governor
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 4e98e.html

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tony Evers for governor

Postby fflambeau » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:44 pm

He might be a good candidate but I've never heard him speak. Don't know what kind of campaigner he is.

With his background, and not being terribly partisan, he might be a good contrast to the hyper partisan Walker. Citizens who want more civility in government and society might go for his more courtly/inclusive approach to government and he certainly knows education, a weak point of Walker.

But I also don't know much about what his campaign positions. Is he a full-throated progressive like Paul Soglin (I think this is the only kind of candidate who can beat Walker)?

Walker with be uber-funded; also don't know how Evers will fund his run: a Sanders approach or going the big donor way like Walker has? Unfortunately, in politics, the candidate with the most money almost always wins.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:57 pm

He has no chance against Scott Walker. He should be ashamed of himself for even letting it be known he thought about it. Hey, Mr. Evers. You're zipper is down, and you wet yourself. Give me a break. He's roadkill.

Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:25 am

I hope he and a dozen other Democrats run in the primary. More choices the better.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:41 am

gargantua wrote:He has no chance against Scott Walker. He should be ashamed of himself for even letting it be known he thought about it. Hey, Mr. Evers. You're zipper is down, and you wet yourself. Give me a break. He's roadkill.

Why do you think that? Who do you think would be better? I think Evers would do better than old Soggy.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:18 am

Shorty wrote:
gargantua wrote:He has no chance against Scott Walker. He should be ashamed of himself for even letting it be known he thought about it. Hey, Mr. Evers. You're zipper is down, and you wet yourself. Give me a break. He's roadkill.

Why do you think that? Who do you think would be better? I think Evers would do better than old Soggy.

I don't dislike Evers. I just don't think he's charismatic enough to have a chance against Walker. I don't think he's charismatic at all. I do think he's good at his job. If he is indeed the candidate against Walker, I'd vote for him, knowing that he'll face the same fate as Barrett and Burke.

timby
Forum Addict

Postby timby » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:50 pm

Evers would have a head-start out of the gate just simply for not being a Dane or Milwaukee County Democrat.

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:57 pm

fflambeau wrote: Unfortunately, in politics, the candidate with the most money almost always wins.

Are you aware that's not always true, Snowfffffffffffffllllaaaaaaakkkkkeee. Your No. 1 gal had a 2 to 1 advantage and still stumbled. And no one needs to hear you relist your lame excuses. Excuses are for losers.

Hillary Clinton (D)LOSER
CANDIDATE COMMITTEE MONEY: $563,756,928
OUTSIDE MONEY: $231,118,680

Donald Trump (R) WINNER
CANDIDATE COMMITTEE MONEY: $333,127,164
OUTSIDE MONEY: $75,269,043

NOTE: All the numbers on this page are for the 2016 election cycle and based on Federal Election Commission data released electronically on 05/16/17.
Feel free to distribute or cite this material, but please credit the Center for Responsive Politics.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:02 pm

timby wrote:Evers would have a head-start out of the gate just simply for not being a Dane or Milwaukee County Democrat.

I know that's the popular wisdom, but in my lifetime, Pat Lucey, Anthony Earl, and Jim Doyle all came out of Dane County. A good candidate, at the right time, can come from anywhere. Look, I like Evers. But he's no match for Walker. We need a candidate who will get in there and mix it up with Walker. Soglin will, rhetorically, be happy to punch him in the face. Walker never had to face someone like that.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:01 am

"Hillary Clinton (D)LOSER
CANDIDATE COMMITTEE MONEY: $563,756,928
OUTSIDE MONEY: $231,118,680

Donald Trump (R) WINNER
CANDIDATE COMMITTEE MONEY: $333,127,164
OUTSIDE MONEY: $75,269,043"

The trouble with your "accounting" is we don't know how much the Russians paid to get Trump elected.
It definitely happened, and Hillary was right about that too!

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:53 am

fflambeau wrote:The trouble with your "accounting" is we don't know how much the Russians paid to get Trump elected.
It definitely happened, and Hillary was right about that too!

With your idiocy, words escape me. You are the only one I know of who think Russian meddling (which has gone on for decades) changed a single vote.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:35 am

gargantua wrote:... in my lifetime, Pat Lucey, Anthony Earl, and Jim Doyle all came out of Dane County. A good candidate, at the right time, can come from anywhere. Look, I like Evers. But he's no match for Walker. We need a candidate who will get in there and mix it up with Walker. Soglin will, rhetorically, be happy to punch him in the face. Walker never had to face someone like that.

Not sure how the rest of the state would see it, but Soglin has the actual job creation/fiscally responsible record Walker pretends to have, & has to lie about. Soglin will go there.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:10 am

Uneducated voters seem to prefer too often the kind of people who appear to be successful despite the methods used to get there, and will ignore the corruption as long as the candidate appears confident. Walker's a chameleon that way. Soglin might be just the guy to expose the myth.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:56 am

I do want to be clear about one thing. I would be very happy to be proven wrong about Evers' chances against Walker if he's the candidate. Hell, I'd be delighted.

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:44 pm

gargantua wrote:I know that's the popular wisdom, but in my lifetime, Pat Lucey, Anthony Earl, and Jim Doyle all came out of Dane County.

Lucey's campaign slogan was "Lucey means business." Not the same Democratic voters around today. Different times, it's become the party of identity politics. Soglin might capture the youth vote by endorsing legal weed. As of today, he's your favorite.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”