Legal marijuana in Wisconsin?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Legal marijuana in Wisconsin?

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:00 pm

It more than mere advocacy on the part of the Tavern League. They throw a lot of money around in political contributions to those willing to do their bidding.

globalwarming

Postby globalwarming » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:26 pm

Actually, the Tavern League supports legalization.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:21 pm

globalwarming wrote:Actually, the Tavern League supports legalization.

Really? This article seems to say otherwise.

Pete Madland is the executive director for the Tavern League of Wisconsin and he says he’s seen conflicting reports about whether legalizing weed would smoke out beer sales.

"I did read an industry report just yesterday that beer sales in Colorado decreased by 7 percent," says Madland. "But even without hard data, anecdotally and from what I’ve learned from many people in the industry, I believe it would be bad for business."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:50 pm

No doubt in my mind that weed is competition for alcohol. Is it really even a controversial idea? I know a couple of alcoholics who have stopped drinking. They rely on marijuana instead. Whether or not that's healthy or desirable is quite beside the point. It's less business for alchohol purveyors. And I know other people who smoke weed and rarely if ever drink. 40 years ago, I was among them. If you take the cannabis away, chances are they'd buy some booze.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:51 pm

u know, one can use beer or another adult beverage in place of water in a bong to facilitate drinking it when the smoking session is done, and being a mixture of ethanol and water will dissolve more components into it . . .

in so far as being a competitor to beer or hooch, it may be that, it is also a stronger and more precisely metered anti-emetic than compazine or promethazine, which have problems all their own. usually less expensive than ondansetron too. add in that people get a psychological high with a moderate and unique body load, and it pretty much stops there. any wall street huckster or norml member comparing it toe to toe to narcotics should be tarred and feathered -- as if 105+ years of misinformation has not caused enough suffering . . .

the tavern league just wants payback. as is their right.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:02 am

did the outgoing administration and their bag men in the legislature do anything on the way out which would obstruct this, by the way?

if that may be the case, is the governor able to unilaterally legalise it? perhaps with a binding opinion from the state controlled substances board?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:23 pm

More on the power the Tavern League has on Republican legislators

A handful of Wisconsin Republicans are hoping new Democratic Gov. Tony Evers will help them finally criminalize first-offense drunken driving.

Wisconsin is the only state in the nation that doesn't treat a first offense as a crime. Instead it's a traffic ticket. Two Wisconsin Republicans -- state Rep. Jim Ott and Sen. Alberta Darling -- have introduced a bill that would make a first offense a misdemeanor. Evers says he supports criminalizing a first offense.

The push to criminalize a first offense might look like a can't-miss bipartisan initiative, especially after Utah dropped its legal limit to 0.05 percent in December. But Republican leaders wary of crossing the state's powerful tavern league and saddling first offenders with a criminal record say the plan is a non-starter.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:10 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:More on the power the Tavern League has on Republican legislators

A handful of Wisconsin Republicans are hoping new Democratic Gov. Tony Evers will help them finally criminalize first-offense drunken driving.

Wisconsin is the only state in the nation that doesn't treat a first offense as a crime. Instead it's a traffic ticket. Two Wisconsin Republicans -- state Rep. Jim Ott and Sen. Alberta Darling -- have introduced a bill that would make a first offense a misdemeanor. Evers says he supports criminalizing a first offense.

The push to criminalize a first offense might look like a can't-miss bipartisan initiative, especially after Utah dropped its legal limit to 0.05 percent in December. But Republican leaders wary of crossing the state's powerful tavern league and saddling first offenders with a criminal record say the plan is a non-starter.

so the over-the-top television and radio advertising about drink driving: "u will get busted and u will go to gaol" is not quite accurate? i of course am mortified to learn that this is still the case . . . probably not the best idea to be out even walking after dark if one can help it?

i have long been in favour of 36 mg/dl for the legal limit for alcohol content and 8 for commercial drivers because a sudden switch to absolute sobriety would be problematic (on the other hand it would call forth various communitarian and entrepreneurial solutions like a people's co-operative drunk bus 24/7 service) the heaviest-drinking countries on earth set the limit at absolute sobriety and it is really not a problem . . . maybe 40 years ago, wasn't the limit something like 0·20 per cent v/v down south in some states? maybe that isn't yet the edge of alcohol-induced dissociative anaesthesia , but try even reading a menu after that much hooch intake . . .

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:21 pm

It was .10 in Wisconsin....maybe 20 years ago? It would still be at that level today, but the state was facing the loss of hundreds of millions in federal highway aid if it didn't adopt .08. So at the last possible moment, it did. Not 100% sure of this, but I think Wisconsin was the last holdout.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:31 pm

ah federal blackmail . . . i'll give gingrich one thing -- it seems to have slowed or stopped for a good long time . . . the man could be a closet anarchist for all we know . . .

of course, like trump, closing the goverment is blackmail of another sort . . .

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:44 pm

gargantua wrote:It was .10 in Wisconsin....maybe 20 years ago? It would still be at that level today, but the state was facing the loss of hundreds of millions in federal highway aid if it didn't adopt .08. So at the last possible moment, it did. Not 100% sure of this, but I think Wisconsin was the last holdout.

If we weren't the last holdout, we were the next to last.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Gov. Evers says he will make 'first step' toward pot legalization

Evers was asked about his views on marijuana and said he favors legalization but doesn't want to rush it.

Evers says his budget proposal will likely start the process of legalizing medical marijuana and other steps for full legalization including possibly calling for a statewide referendum.

Two points:
The state constitution doesn't provide for binding referenda. They can only be advisory.

Glaucoma runs in my family.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”