First Step For School District: Get 120.42 (b) Repealed

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: First Step For School District: Get 120.42 (b) Repealed

Postby gargantua » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:54 am

I agree. I think we have a Governor who would sign such a bill. Unfortunately we have a Legislature that doesn't believe in local control, even on an issue that's really none of its damn business.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:27 pm

do a mixture of nine at-large seats and three seats each for each of the secondary (high) school areas, and three seats reserved for students, with the minimum age for election to that seat being 13, all three-year terms and staggered so that one geographic seat, one student seat, and three at large seats are elected each year. or one seat each for each elementary school area, or the like . . .

either that or assign three seats for management, three for the union(s), three students, and three can be any citizen -- co-determination as it is called . . .

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:36 pm

gozer wrote:do a mixture of nine at-large seats and three seats each for each of the secondary (high) school areas.. .

That would total 21 seats, way too many. I doubt if that number could be filled with willing and able applicants for a job that offers long hours of meetings with little compensation.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:39 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
gozer wrote:do a mixture of nine at-large seats and three seats each for each of the secondary (high) school areas.. .

That would total 21 seats, way too many. I doubt if that number could be filled with willing and able applicants for a job that offers long hours of meetings with little compensation.

and three students -- i get 24 . . .

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:41 pm

Student only have an advisory role. Kinda like what student councils have at high schools.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:47 pm

as far as the pay goes, couldn't the district put a crowbar in their wallet and come up with something more commensurate? it appears to be a 18-30 hour a week job in and of itself . . . just in the name of fairness -- most folks seem to be in it because they care about the kids and what is happening, not an extra paycheque . . .

Return to “Local Politics & Government”