A public market? Are you kidding me?!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Re: A public market? Are you kidding me?!

Postby barney » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:24 am

Not to threadjack, but on the topic of the north side, It will be interesting to see how the addition of Goodwill affects that shopping center. I am happy to see they resurfaced the parking lot. And the mix of products has definitely made the letters to the Willy Street Co-Op Reader way more entertaining.
So there's that.

I have also found that Kroger's acquisition of Roundy's has been for the better at the Shopko Drive location - way better produce and prices than there had been before. Any rumblings on a tenant for the old Shopko space?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:01 am

Madison shifts site for Public Market

While I don't have a strong opinion on whether or not Madison should have a public market, or where it should be located, I've always enjoyed visiting them when traveling. But I'm 70-years-old and don't know if I'll live long enough to see one built in Madison. After all, it took many decades for the Monona Terrace convention center to come to fruition.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:57 am

I hope they shift the site of the Public Market to the bottom of Lake Mendota.

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:16 am

I think it's a good idea.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:15 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Madison shifts site for Public Market

While I don't have a strong opinion on whether or not Madison should have a public market, or where it should be located, I've always enjoyed visiting them when traveling. But I'm 70-years-old and don't know if I'll live long enough to see one built in Madison. After all, it took many decades for the Monona Terrace convention center to come to fruition.

Hang in there.....they just might make it by 2021.
To me, this endeavor falls into the category of nice but not necessary. I suppose a great place to live can have a few amenities like that though.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:25 pm

I live on the near south side. I keep asking myself, what could I get at a public market that I couldn't get anywhere else? I already don't go to East and West Town. Hilldale, State St., Monroe St., and Willy provide all the little niceties I want. Is it just that I'm old and not a car person, or value time over money?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:59 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I live on the near south side. I keep asking myself, what could I get at a public market that I couldn't get anywhere else?

I don't know either. I plan to go find out for myself when it opens. I'm hoping that it's a really cool environment, and provides in one location items that I currently go to multiple places for. My home is on the near West side, but my sister lives near there so I could combine it with visiting her.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:14 pm

Donald wrote:I hope they shift the site of the Public Market to the bottom of Lake Mendota.

While I like the proposal to repurpose the structurally sound Fleet Services building (those projects often turn out surprisingly well - look at the Goodman Center and the Brassworks building) I still don't get why we need a public market. What would be sold there that we can't get elsewhere already? What businesses will it draw customers away from? Who are the supposed new customers? Why should the city be subsidizing yet another wedding venue, if that's what it turns into? The city is already subsidizing hotel rooms which can't be helping other hotels prosper. Why should we start doing the same thing with places to buy food?

Ald Ahrens, whom I rarely agree with, is leaving office at the end of his term saying he's fed up with fighting poor uses of city money like this market and like the endlessly crazy JDSquare thing downtown, which has turned into a snarl of lawsuits that'll take millions to settle. I can see why he's exasperated. How come the city is using its money on things like this, things that work contrary to the interests of healthy private businesses? I'd rather see our resources go to projects that cannot be done entirely in the private sector, like public transit development, neighborhood centers, parks and more bike infrastructure, flood prevention and management, or more progressive energy policy.

I hope next time we elect a mayor, we get candidates who emphasize these real world improvements instead of trophy projects like this market, Judge Doyle Square, the Edgewater, and the like.

timby
Forum Addict

Postby timby » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:43 am

I'll continue saying it until I'm blue in the face: The public market is a solution in search of a problem, and moving the location a block from the original planned spot solves nothing. That area is in absolutely no way a food desert, and there's literally one Metro bus route that serves the location (I don't count the Route 10, because its scheduling is a sick joke). This is purely due to Soglin having penis envy and getting upset that Milwaukee has something Madison doesn't.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:22 pm

I agree that taking a tourist attraction project that is not urgently needed and moving it to where it is less accessible to tourists is probably not the best idea anybody's had.

If the project wasn't viable at a prime location, I do not think it will be viable at a smaller, less visible location that does not have any other attractions immediately available.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:43 pm

Cadfael wrote:I agree that taking a tourist attraction project that is not urgently needed and moving it to where it is less accessible to tourists is probably not the best idea anybody's had.

If the project wasn't viable at a prime location, I do not think it will be viable at a smaller, less visible location that does not have any other attractions immediately available.

Hey, there are railroad tracks right nearby!

Return to “Local Politics & Government”