Today in voter suppression

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby Roy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:59 pm

gargantua wrote:
Roy wrote:I would guess that 3 million a possibility nationwide, but not just Cal.

Prove it. Or we will accept that you are completely out of your mind.
I have accepted you as a human being. Now you're saying that there were at least 3 million illegal votes. Furnish proof, please. Or we're done. I'll never speak to you again. And that's a shame, because I don't think you're a bad guy. But there were not 3 million illegal votes, unless they were Russian. Apologize.

Please. I said a possibility, which is a long way from "there were."

As no one can ever know either way it is unprovable: therefore I said "a possibility."

Out of my mind? Perhaps, but no apology will forthcoming.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:20 am

Roy wrote:
gargantua wrote:
Roy wrote:I would guess that 3 million a possibility nationwide, but not just Cal.

Prove it. Or we will accept that you are completely out of your mind.
I have accepted you as a human being. Now you're saying that there were at least 3 million illegal votes. Furnish proof, please. Or we're done. I'll never speak to you again. And that's a shame, because I don't think you're a bad guy. But there were not 3 million illegal votes, unless they were Russian. Apologize.

Please. I said a possibility, which is a long way from "there were."

As no one can ever know either way it is unprovable: therefore I said "a possibility."

Out of my mind? Perhaps, but no apology will forthcoming.

By that logic, you also have to admit the possibility of climate change, the non-existence of god, and Hillary would have made a better president. If you won't accept proof, you have to accept possibility.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:38 am

Roy wrote:As no one can ever know either way it is unprovable: therefore I said "a possibility."

So is your logic, as long as something is unprovable, it is possible? I'm genuinely curious. That opens the door for a lot of assumed truths.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:44 pm

The Supreme Court Just Gave Its Latest Gift to Senate Republicans
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/supreme ... 08749.html

"The Republican Party's relentless ploys to pull the Supreme Court as far right as possible have been paying off for a while now, from partisan gerrymandering to attacking public sector unions. And in one of its first acts for its new session, the Court may have just ensured that Republicans hold the Senate in the midterms.

On Tuesday, the Court declined to hear a challenge to North Dakota's voter I.D. laws by a vote of 6-2 (with Brett Kavanaugh not participating), upholding a lower court decision that will likely prevent thousands of Native Americans from voting in November. North Dakota has a large population of Native Americans and Senator Heidi Heitkamp is considered the most vulnerable Democratic senator up for reelection this year."

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:07 am

Shorty wrote:The Supreme Court Just Gave Its Latest Gift to Senate Republicans
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/supreme ... 08749.html

Chief "Justice" Roberts doling out some retribution to an uppity woman who crossed his new colleague.

Voter suppression is how they win, because they can't run on ideas.

Down in Georgia the White guy is purging the voter rolls of lots of Black voters.
In 2013, when she was the Democratic leader of the Georgia House, and when the national Republican efforts to suppress the vote were really hitting high tide, Abrams launched something called the New Georgia Project, an ambitious effort to expand the voter rolls in the state with a concentration on registering new minority and young voters. In this effort, Abrams was fought by the Republican Secretary of State, who was a guy named Brian Kemp. He happens to be Abrams's opponent in the current election.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:09 pm

The GOP controlled Wisconsin Legislature plans a special session so lame duck Governor Walker can sign bills that would weaken Democratic Governor-elect Tony Evers and to restrict early voting. All because they fear the will of the people.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Federal judge in Wisconsin strikes early-voting restrictions

A federal judge has struck down early-voting restrictions enacted by Wisconsin Republicans in a lame-duck legislative session last year.

U.S. District Judge James Peterson ruled Thursday that the restrictions violate injunctions he issued in 2016 invalidating similar early-voting limits. He says the lame-duck limits are clearly inconsistent with the earlier injunctions.

Will the Republican controlled Wisconsin Legislature try to appeal this ruling? And would they need the cooperation of the Attorney General's office to do so?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:20 pm

They'll probably hire their own lawyers and use our tax dollars to pay them.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”