Nancy "The Quitter" Hates Heroes and Babies

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Nancy "The Quitter" Hates Heroes and Babies

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:50 pm

So they had a little ceremony in the County Exec's today office to bestow a commendation on a 9-1-1 dispatcher who talked a nervous couple through the delivery -- in a car on a dangerously cold day -- of a 16-week-early preemie. Pretty outstanding example of service by a public employee, eh?

Not to Nancy "the Quitter" Mistele, who took to the airwaves to grouse and complain about "politicalization" of the dispatchers.

Nancy the Quitter -- who thinks it's always time for whine. But why does she hate heroes and babies?

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Nancy "The Quitter" Hates Heroes and Babies

Postby Ed Breakfast » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:01 am

Where's the librul media when you need it???

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:24 am

It's a time for hope and optimism and lookin to the future; not for acrimony and recriminations - Stu Levitan 1.20.09

Huh. That lasted, what, 3 days?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:02 pm

Stu's obviously taking sides here, but even to a hard-core Republican, Mistele's shots on this one seem pretty off target and, more importantly, politically goofy.

Plus, it was Mistele who pinned the blame for 911 failures squarely on Kathleen Falk, so wouldn't logic dictate that Falk should get credit when something goes so right?

Maybe it's true that Mistele doesn't stand a chance in this race. She's certainly running that way.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:31 pm

The real point here is that Falk is using good work by a dispatcher to try to take heat, deserved or not, off herself by holding a dog and pony show in her office.

Those of us who work in government immediately recognize a move like this as grandstanding. The fact of the matter is that front line employees frequently perform in like ways yet recognition is few and far between, if at all.

At my department, if an employee did this, we would get a photocopied "employee recognition form" in our mailbox. That is if someone bothered to fill one out by going to a computer and filling out template form.

No phony grip and grin photo session with the Mayor or the Chief. We have an awards ceremony once a year for these things in May and sometimes the Mayor has not attended because some genius scheduled the event on the same night as a City Council meeting.

It's not as if dispatchers don't do great jobs on high stress calls on a regular basis. They do and I have written commendations up for them myself. Falk is using this for political purposes.

She is a POLITICIAN if you have not noticed and they do not do something because it is the right thing to do.

If you think I am just being bitter, well, ok maybe I am. But, when was that last time there was a commendation ceremony held for the media in Falk's office before this?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:16 pm

hey bluethedog --

first of all, this isn't about me. and if you're taking notes and preparing transcript on my tv appearances, you seriously need to get a life. i do love the devotion you show, but it is a little creepy.

and, walter, i do my best to avoid county government, so i really can't answer your question. but you do admit, don't you, that talking a couple through the birth of a preemie (16 weeks early) in a car in the middle of winter is a pretty big deal worthy of commendation, yes?

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:33 pm

I dont think anyone is saying she doesnt deserve commendation.

But if you really think the route that they took in giving it wasnt a pr ploy to get Falks name and 911 in the news in a positive way then i think your being pretty naive.

She's a politician and this is what they do. I dont have a big issue with it or with Mistelle calling her out on it.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:38 pm

No one disputes that it is worthy of commendation. It is the manner in which it was done that doesn't pass my smell test.

And it doesn't matter who does it, left or right. I claim no party affliation. I don't even put yard signs up. I don't shill for Mistele.

It's cynical manipulation by people who think we aren't smart enough to spot it. Maybe many of us are not, I guess.

It's as obvious as using "regular folks" in attendance at State of the Union speeches and the like, the President talking about them as if he actually knows them, and then the camera cuts to them to show how in touch he is with us. I don't know if he originated it, but I first remember Reagan pulling this ham-handed stunt and now candidates and Presidents all do it. It's insulting.

Insert your own trickle-down theory joke.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Talking a couple through the birth of a preemie baby over the phone is newsworthy and praiseworthy. We could use more coverage of events like this (not only 911 stories, but EMT stories and cop stories and more). The highly negative energy of the last 8 (or 28) years may be ready to turn, and whether the media believe it or not people do enjoy reading about positive human-interest drama. The Hudson River plane landing, which was too big to ignore, brought respect to pilots and airline stewards everywhere. But little stories are just as meaningful, in their own market and their own way.

I agree: I sure wish the politicians would quit trying to turn stories like this to their own advantage. Falk has about as much to do with the successful delivery of that little baby as I do, which is to say... Nothing. Mistele needs to stay out of it.

A couple things stand in the way of this kind of reporting, unfortunately. One is confidentiality. If somebody isn't charged with a crime (when it becomes a matter of public record) their medical records and other contacts with professionals are protected. If they're willing to go public, they're free to do so but not everyone is.

The other is the near-collapse of live reporting in this town and all over the nation. Many traditional news sources are pretty much on life support right now and careful, time-consuming newsgathering is hard to find.
Last edited by snoqueen on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:07 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:hey bluethedog --

first of all, this isn't about me. and if you're taking notes and preparing transcript on my tv appearances, you seriously need to get a life. i do love the devotion you show, but it is a little creepy.

Stu,

This isn't about me either. I watch channel 15 every morning and I have a good memory (and by the way, one does not need to be devoted to find you on the local media - you seem to be everywhere).

Anyway, when I heard you talking about it not being the time for acrimony and recrimination I thought, well, maybe Stu is going to change this year.

3 days Stu? That's all you lasted, 3 days ???

This election is going to be dirty enough without well respected people like you calling a candidate names.

And using the Republicans' dirty tactics against them, i.e., "Why do you hate (insert beloved thing here)?" is getting old.

FWIW, I can't stand Falk or Mistele.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:35 pm

At first look, I thought the title of this thread was 'Nancy "The Quilter" hates heroes and babies' and thought it was about my own hero, Nancy of 'Sewing with Nancy' fame. But then I thought, no Sewing with Nancy Nancy loves heroes and babies. Then I read the OP and realized the thread wasn't about sweet sewing Nancy, but rather it was about evil land developer Nancy who eats puppies for breakfast.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:16 pm

Walter wrote:Those of us who work in government immediately recognize a move like this as grandstanding. The fact of the matter is that front line employees frequently perform in like ways yet recognition is few and far between, if at all.

Sour grapes. Classic case.

And when Nancy Mistake frames Kathleen Falk as a murderer. What do you call that Walter?

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:49 pm

Somebody's delusion?

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:52 pm

harrissimo wrote:Sour grapes. Classic case.

Walter's upset that Mayor Dave hasn't pinned a medal to his chest?
And when Nancy Mistake frames Kathleen Falk as a murderer. What do you call that Walter?

Political grandstanding, albeit several orders of magnitude more over-the-top. Or maybe
Walter wrote:Somebody's delusion?

That works, too.

Why did Falk publicly commend this dispatcher? Why does Governor Doyle put out a press release every time the Department of Commerce gives out a few thousand dollars? Why does the President pardon a turkey every Thanksgiving? Of course it's political, it's just a lot more obvious when she puts a "911 dispatcher does good" headline in the papers at the same time her opponent is beating her over the head with the 911 center.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:57 pm

Bad Gradger wrote:
harrissimo wrote:Sour grapes. Classic case.

Walter's upset that Mayor Dave hasn't pinned a medal to his chest?

Don't be hating on Walter, unless you want me to go all "psycho-vigilante" on your pasty white-bread bitch-ass. Bitch.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”