Sore losers

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sore losers

Postby Donald » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:46 pm

Well, starve the beast, and investigate them. Play hard ball, and throw a couple right at their fucking head.

(1) Shucks, the state's system for paying Legislators just shut down. Too bad.

(2) My goodness, we've had to open an investigation into how the Republicans have acted over the last eight years.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:21 pm

I sure hope there's enough backbone out there. The whole damn country is watching and I would be like, totally embarrassed if the Dems just rolled over for this crap.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:36 pm

Cadfael wrote:I sure hope there's enough backbone out there. The whole damn country is watching and I would be like, totally embarrassed if the Dems just rolled over for this crap.

Other than suing, what exactly are they supposed to do?

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:10 pm

Pretty much the only real deficiency re: Wisconsin Democrats' current approach is this: our state's entirely criminal (soon-to-be-EX-) Governor has no intention whatsoever of vetoing the bills stampeded through during the Repubs' "extraordinary session," particularly as that would be the right thing to do!
"Gov. Scott Walker should veto pile of rush-job bills:"
https://madison.com/wsj/opinion/editori ... 83ea0.html
Last edited by IU2Bmanoletters on Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:22 pm

I've been re-thinking my "throwing beer on Vos" position.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:29 pm

gargantua wrote:
Cadfael wrote:I sure hope there's enough backbone out there. The whole damn country is watching and I would be like, totally embarrassed if the Dems just rolled over for this crap.

Other than suing, what exactly are they supposed to do?

Leave the state.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:05 pm

Too late for that now.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: lame ducks are lame

Postby penquin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:24 pm

I hope Evers plays hardball with these guys (once he is sworn in) by vetoing anything/everything that comes to his desk until these measures are reversed. Require all laws to be passed with a super-majority of the Assembly and Senate...if the bill is a good one, then enough Democratics will get on board to override the veto.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:37 pm

penquin wrote:I hope Evers plays hardball with these guys (once he is sworn in) by vetoing anything/everything that comes to his desk until these measures are reversed.

Literally everything. Just veto everything. "I like puppies day". Veto.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:54 pm

DCB wrote:Literally everything. Just veto everything. "I like puppies day". Veto.

Exactly. The GOP would try and make political hay outta it, of course, but he would just have to blast back with why he doing it and what the Republicans need to do for him to stop doing so.

Tho, thinking about it some more now, reckon it'd be ok to sign bills which were passed with enough votes to override the veto. But anything else would be sent back to the State House.

And the line-item veto should be in full force for any funding bills the GOP tries to push through in regards to their changes. If they really want a private law firm rather than use the Attorney General for a lawsuit then they gotta find one willing to work pro bono. They say they now get to appoint the CEO of the WEDC? Fine and dandy...but the salary is now $1/year.

Zero-fund any/all projects that the Republicans try to enact without bipartisan support, and that should make them willing to negotiate.

Truthfully tho, I don't see Tony Evers playing hardball like that...he just too nice of a guy (And I say that as someone who likes him & voted for him). But I really hope he does - it's the only thing the GOP in this state will respond to.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:20 pm

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:12 am

As Scott Walker reviews lame-duck bills, past and current allies urge veto
https://madison.com/ct/news/local/govt- ... 3BEF2C94B1

"Sheldon Lubar, a prominent Milwaukee businessman and longtime Republican donor who supported Walker until his most recent re-election effort, shared an email he sent Walker with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Tuesday. The effort, spearheaded in the Legislature by Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, and Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, would "malign (the Republican Party of Wisconsin's) integrity and lead to its downfall," Lubar argued. Lubar urged Walker not to "destroy" his reputation by signing the legislation.

"You can have a long successful career ahead," Lubar wrote. "Don't stain it by this pointless, poor-loser action. Ask yourself, what would my father say, what would the greatest man who ever lived, Jesus Christ, say."...

"Signing the lame-duck legislation would be an especially classless way for Walker to leave office; it will tarnish his reputation in ways that I’m not sure he grasps. And, frankly, it’s just not worth it," Sykes wrote. Sykes' argument landed him in a brief Twitter spat with state Sen. Duey Stroebel, R-Cedarburg, who accused Sykes of evolving his opinions "to conform to coastal elites."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:18 pm

He's going to sign them. Of course we should ask him not to, but it's an exercise in futility.

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:03 pm

DCB wrote:I've been re-thinking my "throwing beer on Vos" position.

I really think you should reconsider. After all, there was no point "crying over spilled beer," as some of the most SENSITIVE, hand-wringing Dems, Libs and others of a more or less "Leftist" persuasion were wont to do, back when that occurred.

The One
Forum Addict

Postby The One » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:44 pm

My favorite thing at the Capitol on Monday's committee hearing was a woman walked in with a shirt saying on the front, "You Lost" and on the back it says "Get over it".

I really did want to go up to her and ask, "You voted from Trump, right?" "No?" "Then you're fine with the result?" "No?"

The SAME people who are screaming "SHAME!" and "You are trying to overturn out vote" are the same people who sat in the Capitol yelling "SHAME" to the Electoral College for not overturning the vote of the people of Wisconsin.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”