Sore losers

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sore losers

Postby massimo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:03 pm

HawkHead wrote:It would be a huge FU by Walker if he vetoed the bill they put forward (if they do put a bill forward).

Sounds tasty, but why would you think Walker would be motivated to deliver a FU to the legislature?

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:07 pm

massimo wrote:
HawkHead wrote:It would be a huge FU by Walker if he vetoed the bill they put forward (if they do put a bill forward).

Sounds tasty, but why would you think Walker would be motivated to deliver a FU to the legislature?

Because of the budget issues last year.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:27 pm

I see. But I also see it being much more likely that team R would pull together in the interest of fucking over the incoming D governor (and, Bonus!, triggering a bunch of snowflake dems in the process) than Walker taking any kind of parting shots on his way out. As much as I'd love to see the latter.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:53 pm

If Vos and Fitz do this and if Walker signs it, I hope AG Kaul will reopen the legislative aspects of the John Doe investigation. That might slow down fat boy and Vos for a hot minute or three.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:04 pm

massimo wrote:I see. But I also see it being much more likely that team R would pull together in the interest of fucking over the incoming D governor (and, Bonus!, triggering a bunch of snowflake dems in the process) than Walker taking any kind of parting shots on his way out. As much as I'd love to see the latter.

I don’t see it happening. Just a random thought off the top of my head.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:05 pm

david cohen wrote:If Vos and Fitz do this and if Walker signs it, I hope AG Kaul will reopen the legislative aspects of the John Doe investigation. That might slow down fat boy and Vos for a hot minute or three.

Doe is dead. Nothing left to do. Law was changed after the fact anyways.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:32 am

Will Republicans Steal Power From New Democratic Governors?
It wouldn’t be the first time they tried a lame-duck legislative coup.
https://washingtonmonthly.com/2018/11/0 ... governors/

"On November 6, Democratic gubernatorial candidates dismantled three GOP trifectas: states where the governorship, senate, and house are all currently in Republican hands. In Kansas, longtime state senator Laura Kelly defeated far-right firebrand Kris Kobach. In Michigan, Democrat Gretchen Whitmer will succeed incumbent Republican governor Rick Snyder. In Wisconsin, school superintendent Tony Evers ousted governor Scott Walker. Progressives may be somewhat disappointed that they didn’t win in more places. But given that the Democratic Party has been hollowed out over the last decade, these victories are a cause for celebration.

So, naturally, here’s how Republicans could quickly swindle these incoming Democrats. In the next few weeks, the outgoing GOP governor of each dissolving trifecta could call a special legislative session and, in cahoots with the leader of the state house and senate, rapidly pass a series of bills that strips their successor of power.

This may sound impossible, but it’s happened before.

In 2016, Republican North Carolina Governor Pat McCroy lost re-election to Democrat Roy Cooper by 10,277 votes. Having failed to stop Democrats through democracy, McCroy and the GOP-controlled state legislature thwarted the voters’ will through other means. In mid-December—before Cooper took office—state Republicans hastily called a special session during which they rammed through legislation that deprived the governor authority over elections and appointments. The General Assembly merged the State Board of Elections and the State Ethics Commission into one entity and changed its appointment process to prevent Cooper from significantly altering the commission’s partisan balance. The legislature also required that the state senate confirm many of Cooper’s appointees. Finally, it reduced the number of government employees Cooper could hire and fire by more than 1,000, crippling the governor’s ability to change his staff’s political allegiance."

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:48 pm

It's been going the wrong direction the last 8 years.

Gov. Walker says 'we're not going to retreat'
https://www.channel3000.com/news/walker ... /866798577

"Gov. Scott Walker says in his first comments to reporters since his election defeat that "We're not going to retreat. The state of Wisconsin is not going to go backwards." Walker also said Thursday that he's open to Republican proposals to move the date of the 2020 presidential primary and change membership of some state boards and commissions."

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:54 pm

Beaver wrote:It's been going the wrong direction the last 8 years.

Gov. Walker says 'we're not going to retreat'
https://www.channel3000.com/news/walker ... /866798577

"Gov. Scott Walker says in his first comments to reporters since his election defeat that "We're not going to retreat. The state of Wisconsin is not going to go backwards." Walker also said Thursday that he's open to Republican proposals to move the date of the 2020 presidential primary and change membership of some state boards and commissions."

screwing with election dates some more like thompson did in 1996, disrupting a bunch of shit to serve his vanity? and walker is no thompson . . . it is hard for me to imagine walker reaching across the floor, picking up an occasional union endorsement, and having back channels to the far left like thompson did . . . as much disrespect as he showed, thompson did leave the teachers' unions intact when all was said and done. i don't know if there are anti-walker republicans like there were anti-thompson republicans -- i think the former just gave up, bolted, or moved . . .

i think the "forward" walker speaks of is "drive forward and crush those who cannot defend themselves . . . " fucken eunuch.

on the other hand, i was very pleased with the way the democratic party handled the statewide elections . . . i think i will put in some extra the next time dues come due . . .
Last edited by gozer on Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:00 pm

david cohen wrote:If Vos and Fitz do this and if Walker signs it, I hope AG Kaul will reopen the legislative aspects of the John Doe investigation. That might slow down fat boy and Vos for a hot minute or three.

to recapitulate, in addition to their crimes against logic and citizenry, what did vos and the fat man do that would be in a category which would earn them a room with striped light?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Tommy's wife was a public school teacher, so that slowed down his attacks on public education. But he did start the voucher program that goes mainly to parents of students in religious schools and often after they have attended those schools for years.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:07 pm

HawkHead wrote:
massimo wrote:

Because of the budget issues last year.

a cheer and a half for division of powers?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:31 am

It's not just here in Wisconsin.

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — With their grip on power set to loosen come January, Republicans in several states are considering last-ditch laws that would weaken existing or incoming Democratic governors and advance their own conservative agendas.

In Michigan, where the GOP has held the levers of power for nearly eight years, Republican legislators want to water down a minimum wage law they approved before the election so that it would not go to voters and would now be easier to amend.

The lame-duck period may be especially intense this year in Michigan and Wisconsin because they are among just four states in which Republicans are losing full control the governorship and both legislative chambers. Lawmakers in the other two states, Kansas and New Hampshire, will not convene until next year.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:29 pm

I wondered if there is some sort of ALEC-type playbook being used by Republicans across the country.
And I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible to have a peaceful transition of power in this country. It's beginning to look like it isn't any longer.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:54 pm

You mean in either direction? From Democrats to Republicans? I suppose the GOP's kinda shot the next transition in the ass but in my memory the Democrats have never tried to sabotage the incoming administration.

Next time, yeah I think maybe the Dems might have changed their playbook.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”