Our Airwaves Are Under Siege

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Our Airwaves Are Under Siege

Postby Shorty » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:10 am

Rick Steves

"I don’t know about you, but I’ve been thinking a lot about fascism lately. It’s said that Mussolini believed that fascism could be called “corporatism.” When a government goes from being “by, for, and of the people” to being “by, for, and of the people...through our corporations,” public wealth is under siege. And I believe that’s happening in America right now.

Think about it: Public health care, public education, social security retirement accounts — they are all at risk. Public infrastructure? Privatize it. The Internet? Privatize it. Even our airwaves are being threatened by forces that want to keep us afraid and dumbed down.

As you know, I’ve always been a big fan of public broadcasting. But these days, with all of the anti-intellectualism, fear, and threats to our democracy — combined with the growing power of media — I believe that public television is more important than ever.

Here’s a clip from a pledge special I recently produced that I thought you might find interesting. If you agree with me about the value of public television, I hope you can see it as a service rather than a charity, and do your part to support it. Please go to your local station’s website right now to make a donation or become a sustaining member. (And after you do, share this message with your friends.)

Public television is ours. Let’s keep it that way."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Our Airwaves Are Under Siege

Postby gargantua » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:24 am

Wow, these pledge drives are really getting intense!

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:30 am

nothing like a little playing fast & loose with definitions vis-à-vis a shithead like mussolini to get the funds flowing, eh? mussolini was talking about a corporate state, not the kind of plutocracy that is causing the problems here and now . . . two different things, 180, no, maybe 120 degrees different . . . maybe 90, no . . . 60 . . . the social darwinism is there, so one could almost say they are the same thing with different people in charge, then again, communism meets the same definition . . . the post-modern techno-industrial megastate. but I think our commentator here tried to split hairs and ended up whipping out the broad brush -- quite an accomplishment, actually . . .

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Where's my tote bag Rick?

Return to “TV”