Welcome Back, 'Murphy Brown': Just in Time to Take on 'Alternative Facts and Fake News'

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Welcome Back, 'Murphy Brown': Just in Time to Take on 'Alternative Facts and Fake News'

Postby Cadfael » Sat May 19, 2018 12:41 pm

She's coming back!
I haven't felt like watching Roseanne at all but I'm waiting for this one.
The reboot of the 1990s-era sitcom "Murphy Brown" will arrive not just 30 years after it first premiered on CBS, but to an almost unrecognizable terrain of journalism, cable news and politics. The network released the first trailer for the revival Wednesday at its upfront presentation, the annual reveal of new shows for advertisers. Much of the original cast — star journalist Murphy Brown (Candice Bergen), features reporter Corky Sherwood (Faith Ford), investigative reporter Frank Fontana (Joe Regalbuto), and executive producer Miles Silverberg (Grant Shaud) — will return to characters reimagined and reinvigorated to take on "this crazy new world of alternative facts and fake news," as Bergen declares in the trailer.

Take this scene, in which Murphy berates a new secretary: "If you are any of the following: a smoker, a manic depressive, a fan of Donald Trump, or a collector of Nazi memorabilia, this isn't going to work," she says. This was 1990.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Welcome Back, 'Murphy Brown': Just in Time to Take on 'Alternative Facts and Fake News'

Postby Shorty » Sat May 19, 2018 8:13 pm

Trump is good business for comedians, sticoms, cartoonists, talk shows, etc.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Welcome Back, 'Murphy Brown': Just in Time to Take on 'Alternative Facts and Fake News'

Postby gargantua » Sat May 19, 2018 9:52 pm

I really didn't want to like Roseanne, but the writing is good and it is actually funny at times.
I hope Murphy Brown is that good.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu May 24, 2018 8:25 am

I'll give it six episodes. Libs angry at Trump is already being done on 100 other programs.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri May 25, 2018 7:45 am

What are the 100 other programs?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat May 26, 2018 4:43 pm

Shorty wrote:What are the 100 other programs?

Let's make it easier on Ned. How about naming a dozen?

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat May 26, 2018 5:21 pm

I always thought Candace Bergen's character was kind of a one-note type of role, but Emmy voters obviously disagreed.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 26, 2018 6:28 pm

Not an nuanced as Roseanne B., hey?

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat May 26, 2018 9:39 pm

About the same, except that Bergen is an actress, while Barr is a stand-up comic basically playing herself, or at least a modified version of her stand up "character". Roseanne certainly had a better supporting cast, and possibly better writing until the end. But I'm sure she was grating for many as well.

Return to “TV”