Damnation

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
npler
Forum Addict

Damnation

Postby npler » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:29 am

I have so far only seen the one episode which aired this week, so I am not sure how closely it adheres to the actual events, but this series is based (at least in part) on actual events. During the Great Depression there was an organization called The Farmers' Holiday Association which tried to start a farmers; strike to drive up the cost of the crops they made. It was behind a milk strikes here in Wisconsin in 1933.

Governors Schmedeman (D) and Philip LaFollette (Progressive) were supportive, as were Langer in North Dakota (R w/ NPL), Olson of Minnesota (Farmer-Labor), Herring of Iowa (D) (and I believe Turner too, the Republican he replaced), and Berry of South Dakota (D) as well.
In the end, the federal government listened to the farmers some, but not completely, which was a common pattern with the grassroots protest movements of the time.

It is on the USA Network on Tuesdays.

It has been pretty good, but I did notice one curious thing: there are no snow-capped mountains in northwestern Iowa.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Damnation

Postby gargantua » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Fake news! Everyone knows Iowa extended all the way to the Rockies in 1933. Then the damn Germans invaded!

Return to “TV”