Vietnam war

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Vietnam war

Postby Shorty » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:33 pm

Good series about Vietnam war on pbs. So much violence and politics it's kind of like watching a football game.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Vietnam war

Postby Madsci » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:27 pm

I saw enough of the Vietnam War on TV when I was young.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:52 pm

Madsci wrote:I saw enough of the Vietnam War on TV when I was young.
Yep, but this may be really good. I can't track down the article that recently swayed me, but I think the topic is worth revisiting. Burns' co-producer, Lynn Novick carried the account, from what I can tell.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:51 pm

We lived through it, but are watching it and learning a few things. I was a Vietnam nerd in high school. I hated the war so much I followed everything about it, the debates and hearings in Congress and the peace movement.

I was a protestor, but had classmates and neighborhood friends who went to Vietnam. Most of my friend came back completely disillusioned by the war, and even more militant against the war than I.

Some went through hell over there, while I did alternative service stateside, and others just went to college. It was so unfair.

The whole war was fucked up from the beginning and our leaders knew it, but didn't have the guts to do the right thing. It makes me furious all over again. And we had a reprise with Iraq. I don't know why we can't learn, but now we've got a President who is even more evil, stupid and deceitful than the whole Vietnam crew put together.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:00 pm

I never had flashbacks until I watched this series. I've been sick to my stomach, yet fascinated at the same time. Yep, Vietnam influenced our generation in ways we are still discovering...

Return to “TV”