Disjointed on Netflix (spoiler alert)

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Disjointed on Netflix (spoiler alert)

Postby penquin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:39 am

New Chuck Lorre series starring Kathy Bates. It's a situation-comedy that mostly takes place in a medical marijuana dispensary. The show itself is alright, once you get past the laugh track, but the extra-stuff they do is what really makes it for me. They drop in spoof commercials (with a cannabis twist) throughout the show, as well as do some scenes as if the viewer is watching a YouTube clip, and they also have some animation when the security guard goes into his own thoughts. (Not always funny cartoons - some are weird/scary.) Around the third or fourth episode, they also "fast forward" through their own opening credits...which literally made me laugh out loud the first time it happened.

My ears perked up when one of the guys said they were smoking "Scott Walker OG", and I'm not sure if that's a real thing or not....and if it is, not sure if I want any or not. (Some of the other strains they mention I've actually tasted, but others...like Eve's Bush...seem to be made-up for the show. Or at least the part about those plants and the buds never being touched by any male person seemed made-up, but maybe that is a real thing. Hard to tell now-a-days.)

Critics aren't greatly fond of it, and I'm not saying it is the bestest thing on TV right now. But if you're into silly-stoner humor, with unusual treats thrown into the mix, the series does make for some good viewing...especially if you start watching it around 4:30. (or about 10 minutes after whenever your own personal 4:20 takes place)

Added: Later in the episode (Yes, I had paused it to write the above) he calls it Skywalker OG, and does a Yoda voice. So nevermind that reference to our Governor...obviousily I misheard it.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Disjointed on Netflix (spoiler alert)

Postby gargantua » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:19 am

I thought I heard the same thing. Pretty much agree with your review. It seems to get better by episode 3, although that could be a result of familiarity with the characters.

Return to “TV”