ESPN Gets Another Haircut

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

ESPN Gets Another Haircut

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:16 am

They better stop the SJW nonsense...

"There's one other possible factor in ESPN's troubles worth mentioning: the general turn in sports reporting to a far more outspoken social liberalism. Setting aside the moral merits, it's certainly true that plenty of sports viewers don't share those liberal politics. That may have produced an extra shove for some customers: "When people begin realizing they can live without your business model, you can't give them more reasons to object to paying for it," as conservative columnist Steve Deace put it."

http://theweek.com/articles/694772/how- ... -bloodbath

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Re: ESPN Gets Another Haircut

Postby Bland » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:28 am

Ned Flanders wrote:They better stop the SJW nonsense...

Pretty cute how you ignore all the much more plausible explanations presented in your link and focus solely on the one the author gives the least credence and smallest amount of ink to.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:46 am

Bland wrote:

Pretty cute how you ignore all the much more plausible explanations presented in your link and focus solely on the one the author gives the least credence and smallest amount of ink to.

And, Steve Deace only sees the right wing side of everything.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:50 am

What is SJW? Single Jewish woman?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:54 am

Bland wrote:

I've stopped watching everything but live sports on ESPN. I don't need to be fed liberal pablum on yet another station. There are millions more like me. It adds up.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:55 am

Beaver wrote:What is SJW? Single Jewish woman?

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
Bland wrote:

I've stopped watching everything but live sports on ESPN. I don't need to be fed liberal pablum on yet another station. There are millions more like me. It adds up.

Sure and I ain't saying you (or Deace) are necessarily wrong. It works both ways though. There are millions of people who don't believe the things you do after all so it's not like it's only possible to lose viewers by expressing non-sports related ideas. There also must be some viewers who welcome such commentary and they add up too.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Bland wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:
Bland wrote:Pretty cute how you ignore all the much more plausible explanations presented in your link and focus solely on the one the author gives the least credence and smallest amount of ink to.

Sure and I ain't saying you (or Deace) are necessarily wrong. It works both ways though. There are millions of people who don't believe the things you do after all so it's not like it's only possible to lose viewers by expressing non-sports related ideas. There also must be some viewers who welcome such commentary and they add up too.

They're certainly not flocking to ESPN, are they? Any mainstream brand like ESPN or Target who takes a stand on controversial topics are doing their customers and shareholders a disservice.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:56 pm

From the facebook page of Adam-Troy Castro

The new slur of the asshole brigade is "virtue signaler." I.E. You take a stand, you talk about it, you are signaling your own virtue.

By refusing to attend a convention where she feared being bothered by someone who had made her feel uncomfortable before, Monica Valentinelli is being called a virtue signaler, and so are any of her friends or followers who have also declined to attend the con, in support of her stand.

Folks, I would like to advance the thesis that while "virtue signaling" exists -- hence, all the folks who let us know that they're charitable -- it is not nearly as big a problem, to the running of a humane society, as the "Contempt For Virtue Signaler," people who like us to know that they're awful. Like the person who trumpets, "I'm hard to take, but I'm not changing, it's your problem if you can't take me!" Like the guy who customizes his truck to belch smelly black smoke, specifically because he knows it bothers people. Like people who sneer, "Fuck the whales." Like people who light up under No-Smoking signs, respond to any request to step outside by blowing their smoke in the complainer's face. and think they're being cutely transgressive. Folks who think "Social Justice Warrior" should be a slam and "Bleeding Heart" a condemnation, who think compassion is funny.

"Contempt For Virtue Signalers" are people who want us to know that they are not beholden to respect for anybody else's feelings or concerns, and take a perverse pride in that, thinking it speaks well of their individualism. I can be rude! That's just me being me!

What it amounts to, really, is pride in being a total asshole, so you can receive approval in the form of the gibbering of other assholes.

"Contempt for Virtue Signalers."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:23 pm

Steve Deace responded to my tweet by proclaiming that "perception is a fact". I responded that if that's true, my perception of him is a fact. He's not talking to me anymore.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:48 pm

I finally got around to reading the article. Took me a minute to find the paragraph that triggered Ned's Kneejerk Nattering Nabobbery. For the love of all that breathes, THAT was your takeaway? It might possibly have had something to do with the general turn in sports broadcasting - the general turn in sports broadcasting. Not ESPN's turn, not any of ESPN's particular staff, but a general turn in sports broadcasting across the board. That might have had a possible effect on some of the possible customers, but that's so subjective that we have no idea.

THAT was more important than the two preceding paragraphs:
As for why the leagues are hiking their fees, the simplest answer might be because they can. While the individual teams ostensibly "compete" with one another, the leagues operate as something akin to a trust or monopoly, controlling the number of teams and the supply of sports entertainment. And while different teams used to do their own individual deals, the leagues long ago figured out the advantages of offering broadcast rights as a unit.

There's obviously some upper limit to how much the leagues can score before they drive away too many customers. But we don't seem to have hit it yet.

The guy comes right out and says the owners are gouging every one of their customers for everything they can just because they can, and those customers are passing the costs on down to people like Ned, and Ned's response is "Those damn liberals!"

Return to “TV”