Pharmaceutical ads

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pharmaceutical ads

Postby Cadfael » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:36 pm

gargantua wrote:
Cadfael wrote:
jman111 wrote:If you understood how small some of those risks are, you'd probably be much less afraid. Labeling regs require disclosure of potential risks that are very near zero in some cases.

Why do they need to be advertised on the tee vee?

Wouldn't it be best if we let trained professionals decide which medications are best for us?

We do. At least I do. We talk. We check the Internet together. Then we decide what to do. I'm 65. 5' 11". 170 lbs. Work out 3x weekly, walk over a mile on the other days.

Yeah, but why are we letting pharma companies try to find people who want to choose their medications based on who's got the best TV commercial? We all know they're going to find some. Are we letting them do it because we don't know the people they're hunting for?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:53 pm

Cadfael wrote:
gargantua wrote:
Cadfael wrote:Why do they need to be advertised on the tee vee?

Wouldn't it be best if we let trained professionals decide which medications are best for us?

We do. At least I do. We talk. We check the Internet together. Then we decide what to do. I'm 65. 5' 11". 170 lbs. Work out 3x weekly, walk over a mile on the other days.

Yeah, but why are we letting pharma companies try to find people who want to choose their medications based on who's got the best TV commercial? We all know they're going to find some. Are we letting them do it because we don't know the people they're hunting for?

Because the almighty dollar rules in this country. I think that you know this. No need to bother to get me to admit it. My grandma, raised in the Depression, said: The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. She said this in 1959. History has validated her worldview, hasn't it?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:23 am

gargantua wrote:The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. She said this in 1959.

“The rich get richer and the poor get - children.”
from The Great Gatsby -1925.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:30 pm

All drugs have side effects. If one is healthy there is no need for them.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:39 pm

Madsci wrote:All drugs have side effects. If one is healthy there is no need for them.

I tend to agree with this, though some people are luckier than others. I have to practically be at death's door before I'll swallow so much as an ibuprofen. I've got a few in a little bottle somewhere but I'm sure they're expired.

As a practical matter, big medicine prioritizes drugs over lifestyle changes because of the current medical business model. A century from now this will probably be considered shocking, the way we look at lobotomies and bloodletting today.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:28 pm

gargantua wrote:
Cadfael wrote:
gargantua wrote:We do. At least I do. We talk. We check the Internet together. Then we decide what to do. I'm 65. 5' 11". 170 lbs. Work out 3x weekly, walk over a mile on the other days.

Because the almighty dollar rules in this country. I think that you know this. No need to bother to get me to admit it.

Yes, I know the dollar is king but that's not the whole reason. The reason the almighty dollar rules is because we let it. Because we know in our bones there's not a damn thing we will ever be able to do about it.

I'm hoping the kids aren't quite so well indoctrinated. Some of them are showing signs of awakening. I would be grateful to live another thirty years to see what happens.

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:22 pm

Those ads seem to go in cycles, sort of like disease of the day. Psoriasis, three or four new drugs for that. Hep C, Harvoni or the other stuff? Pretty slick that the drug companies have gotten the CDC to recommend testing for Hep C in order to sell their product.

Talking to some Norwegians who've visited America, they were appalled by the drug ads on American TV.

And the print ads, some magazines have 20+ pages of drug ads and prescribing info.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:05 pm

Roy wrote:All drug ads.

Come to think of it, there are few commercials about anything that do not irritate me. However by far the worst are the many for auto insurance by Liberty Mutual.

yes, the liberty mutual advertisements are the worst of the worst even though some months it seems like progressive auto insurance can make a good run at them in this department -- it is all above and beyond the conventional wisdom that even an irritating advertisement is effective because people remember it . . . i cannot quite put my finger on it, but the one they do with the wife running down her brother-in-law who was babysitting introduces the most unsympathetic character* i have ever seen anywhere† . . . i cannot imagine that netting them any new customers at all . . .

in re advertisements for pharmaceuticals and devices and techniques, with the partial exception of new zealand, i don't think there is anywhere else on earth where things are the case to this extent, though i have always thought the "big pharma" explanation is an oversimplification and by accident or design lets the government, some doctors, and mafia-like medical and pharmacy professional organisations off the hook . . . not to mention the advertising agencies which actually do the deed and the broadcast networks which put the trash on the air . . .

the kind of advertising of this type i was first familiarised with concerning this would be the occasional advertisement for a well-established proprietary over-the-counter or chemist-discretionary preparation of something like chlorpheniramine, tripelennamine, or paracetamol with codeine on the side of a streetcar or columnar kiosk for advertising with a line or two of text, like the paracetamol-aspirin-caffeine-dihydrocodeine-antacid tablet that helps with the awful head and body aches that lots of people can get from the föhn wind or the local equivalent of chlor-trimeton for hay fever season . . . it did the trick very well, though actually knowing what is out there and how it works before one goes the chemists' to get something helps a lot too . . .

---
* in terms of audience response, that is . . .
† adding the proviso that i have no interest whatsoever in slasher/splat films especially since i think the very genre is an indication of a paucity or absence of talent on the part of the writers and/or directors on top of whatever else . . . not even worth it when it cost $4 or <50 ös . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:24 pm

massimo wrote:I actually look forward to the one for ankylosing spondylitis, because c'mon, ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS!

if only they had a silver-bullet type treatment for that or any other type of spondlyitis such as tubercular or pyogenic . . . the supportive treatment for that after the fact is progressively more politically incorrect, as in morphine and friends particularly in the latter two cases, and most people cannot afford and/or determine how to leave the country until things improve, if they ever do . . . then they have that corrupt doctor in illinois with a boatload of cannabis grower/marketing/dispensary stock who started a campaign to replace opioids with cannabis until a motley crew, i think it was the chicago tribune, someone from wls radio, chicago sun-times, bloomington-normal pantagraph and jeanne ives, the admittedly odious opponent that governor rauner faces in next tuesday's primary, exposed it to the light of day and, in net.speak, spnaked him good and cussed him bad . . .

then we have wal-mart apparently telling their pharmacists to be activist and be doctors too and refuse to fill certain prescriptions and call the doctors with their suggestions, which are often ill-informed and can be dangerous because they often do not have the patient history to any useful extent . . . jesus, at least when i go to the doctor each month she has me go get an x-ray and goes down to the hospital dispensary and my medications are waiting for me in a paper bag with the instructions and duplicate prescriptions with "filled" stamped on them stapled to the outside at the nurses' station. . . i can only imagine what would happen if i had to deal with the level of ignorance that wal-mart is apparently into now . . .

Return to “TV”