The New Muppets

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The New Muppets

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:42 pm

You can watch it on ABC's site: The Muppets

I loved it. This is coming from one who grew up with the original Muppet Show as a huge part of his childhood.

Have to agree with Wagstaff-- if this first episode is somehow scandalous, you don't remember the original show very well. I think the basic updating of the format from a vaudeville-wannabee theater show to a "reality-show" take on a modern late-night show works pretty well-- much better than I had feared.

There are some great opportunities for character development. Bobo the Bear as stage manager strikes me as ripe for some great writing.

Had some fantastic laugh-out-loud moments-- in particular, Gonzo sharing his idea for Tom Bergeron's appearance on the show. Pepe is a recent favorite.

Criticisms:

1. The musical guest (Imagine Dragons) was seriously lame. A full live band PLUS Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, and the resulting sound is some studio-made techno bullshit?

2. The dialog was rushed and incomprehensible at times. Figuring out why Piggy hated Tyra Banks took a second time through with CC on.

Overall, A- / B+. Will watch again.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:58 pm

I never was a fan of The Muppet Show because I found it boring. It was definitely geared toward adult-level tongue in cheek humor, but it just wasn't interesting or funny to me. The new one is better, at least so far.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:22 pm

Just dropping back in to say two things:

1) The second episode was a definite improvement over the first. I am looking forward to the rest of the season. Can't imagine it won over rabble (or anyone else not on board for this iteration) -- marijuana gags, an intensely manipulative Kermit, Pepe's "gender is fluid" line, and a very mean Laurence Fishburne all strike me as the kind of stuff that will draw complaints.

2) In an earlier post I mentioned I'd never seen Muppets Most Wanted. This is no longer true. Once again, I am baffled by the consensus opinion when it comes to Muppet stuff as based on all the bad reviews I'd seen, I just kinda dismissed it. When will I learn not to listen to reviews? It was worlds better than The Muppets. Pretty much fantastic from start-to-finish -- even the humans were all great! Way better songs too.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:18 am

I watch almost all the new broadcast shows, autumn after autumn, including the sitcoms. The sitcoms are almost universally terrible, and "The Muppets" premiere passed an important test: It made me laugh. I didn't watch it in stony silence, as I did, for example, watching the pilots of 2014's "Bad Judge," "Cristela," "Mulaney" and "Selfie." Quite a bit of "The Muppets" made me laugh, including the gag predicated on the fact that a pivotal scene takes place outside a screening of "Pitch Perfect 2."

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:25 am

I didn't love Jason Segel's Muppets reboot because it was too redolent of the sweetness and niceness Segel cultivates in his screen persona. Sweetness and niceness were always important to the Muppets, of course, but they were leavened with generous doses of brittleness and anarchy.

(Segel's niceness was to his advantage when he played David Foster Wallace in "The End of the Tour," because it worked well with the notion of Wallace trying so desperately to be a regular likable guy, despite being a tortured genius.)

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:14 pm

The new Muppets is taking the criticism to heart.

ABC's 'The Muppets' undergoing changes

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:22 pm

The early episodes of “The Muppets” have had their moments, but the characters come off as cynical and, well, hard to like.

That's what I should have said but am only now realizing that this was all it was. I kept asking myself, this really IS pretty much the same slapstick, how come I don't like it any more? And that was it. Mrs Rabble quit after the second show. I made it a few more before I gave up. I'll give 'em another shot when they dial the cynicism down.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:30 pm

The problem with "The Muppets" is that the gags aren't very funny. In sitcoms, everything flows from the gags, and much can be forgiven if the jokes are good. Watching "The Muppets," I hear the setups and the lame punchlines and feel expensive network time ticking away.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:32 pm

Multiple outlets say ABC is in negotiations with Kristin Newman, co-executive producer of ABC’s “Galavant” to replace Kushell.

I didn't notice the "Gallavant" part before. I watched that show and couldn't take ten minutes of medieval monty python musical with bad jokes and embarrassing dance routines. But with muppets and better jokes it might work.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:46 am

"Galavant" bored me because the songs are dull. Judging from the two episodes I've seen, "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" is the way to do a prime time musical series -- not counting performance-based musicals like "Nashville" and "Empire." "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" is the kind of musical in which characters burst into song, and the production numbers are amazing. And I like the jokes! Here's one from the second episode: "Resting Maggie Smith face." Funny show.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:22 pm

Just checking in to see if anyone who was disappointed with The Muppets has given the last two episodes another chance since it was "re-tooled" during the hiatus. I think the changes have been very minor, to be honest, but the biggest one is Kermit seems to have lost the dickishness so many were turned off by.

Last night's episode (with musical guest Joan Jett) was probably my favorite of the series so far (although admittedly, I've enjoyed all of them to some degree or another.)

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:33 pm

I don't know why anyone would not love the Muppets. They are so furry. I missed the last few episodes. I used to watch the Old Muppet Show with my daughter and we both enjoyed it. She didn't turn out demented.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:03 pm

I watched both shows and laughed several times. Which is a lot more than I did before the rewrite. The change is subtle but it's there.

I think it's more like everybody's less of a dick, not just Kermit.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 02, 2016 7:28 pm

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Tue May 03, 2016 8:37 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Image

Now, this is just an insult to Muppets.

Return to “TV”