Commercials

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Commercials

Postby gozer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:00 am

what exactly is the strategy behind the "box" subset of progressive insurance commercials? they are really heading into, i don't even know what to call it -- saying they jumped the shark sort of implies a "pre-" stage, and there isn't one . . . to summarise, that "box" is really a dick, and proof that all the primo ganja that is smoked at advertising agencies is being supplemented with some model aeroplane glue . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:52 pm

i was getting ready to kvetch about the anoro advertisement -- if u are going to use an existing song for an advertisement, use the original or a cover that doesn't butcher the damn thing, and then it struck me as funny to be trying to build up warm fuzzy feelings about a health care product with an epic "dis" song about someone fucking up a storm all over town . . . sort of like a p s a announcing the new d m v office with "waiting for the man" by lou reed . . .
https://www.theonion.com/song-about-her ... 1819565996

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:03 pm

DILLY DILLY!

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:27 pm

mmmmmm dillies . . . yummy . . .that would be great -- the last advertisement of any type i saw for dilaudid was in a magazine in the 1970s or earlier . . . for radio and television commercials i propose they use "the sweetest perfection" by depeche mode (1989) . . .

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:37 pm

I was seven years old when Dairy Queen introduced the dilly bar. They seem to be huge back in the day. But seven-year-olds have small hands.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:08 am

Now commercials are using "One Way or Another," originally by Blonde. It's about a stalker.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:10 pm

kiwiwannabe wrote:The horrible Russian mafia couple is back on early morning TV. Only they must have hired a consultant.

They no longer say "You want money? We want your gold," which caused me nightmares when they first came on.

They both got makeovers and instead of standing in their store in Stoughton, now they are all dressed up and placed in front of a lit gas fireplace. Very cozy!

A lot of suckers must have fallen for their first series of ads.......now they can afford better marketing to go after a different potential clientele.

tut tut tut she is not even russian nor a mafioso and is very sweet and happening and accommodating and has always given us very fair prices for broken platinum jewelry and actually came to within 7 per cent of deutsche bank in chicago for palladium ingots . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:33 pm

there are a number of moderately entertaining television advertisements for the herbal testosterone booster nugenix in which women are telling the spokesperson, the businesman and famous athlete frank thomas, that they wish whomever is giving them the h b i the most/on a regular basis would use the product, a couple of them have the fellows in them and one in which the guy sort of gets this strange look on his face, maybe because the rest of the crowd in the gym is thinking "jesus, what a cuck" or whatever . . . i have noticed that allstate has some ads that are tending in the same direction -- so i wonder 1) is it the same ad agency doing all of these commercials, and 2) is there actually some strategery here, to sell more of the product, or the advertising executives have switched from pot and glue to seconal washed down with thunderbird . . . or is it political propaganda of one type or another?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:36 am

There has been a rash of "real people" all but creaming in their pants after seeing a new car or truck. Totally unbelievable.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:31 am

Coca-Cola is relaunching Sprite using the Zombie's "Time of the Season." The song has salacious lyrics about a rich guy putting moves on a young girl. Ron Argent, who wrote the song, later left the Zombies after finding Jesus and refused play that type of music again.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:29 pm

he get a ticket from the united states general commissariat for the promotion of virtue and suppression of vice, directorate 15 (the alyssa milano brigades) or something?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:37 pm

i am hearing an advertisement for automobiles with "up on the housetop" in the background, and all i can think of is the incident in fitchburg a couple of years ago when a driver was going at a speed in excess of 120 m p h /193 km/h in a 40 zone and lost control and the entire car landed upright on the roof of a house at least 10 feet/3 metres above street level with minimal damage to the car and light damage to the house . . . much slower and it probably would have knocked the house clean off the foundation as was the case on whitney way a few years ago. apparently that vehicle did a 1440° flip a considerable distance above the ground and flew for the last 1½ to 2 blocks of the trip . . .

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:28 pm

Mad City Mitsubishi is notorious for their over-the-top ads. But I do get a chuckle out of their latest. I think it is called Snow Blows. They say you should trade in "the turd you are driving" and have a graphic of something similar to Mr. Hankey (but without the Santa hat and smiley face).

Return to “TV”