Ozark

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Ozark

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:30 pm

Breaking Bad light. I'm enjoying it.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ozark

Postby Shorty » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:04 am

Never heard of it. Is it netflix? Ozarks do sound like a nice place. Isn't that where Bill Clinton is from?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:38 am

Yes Netflix. Bubba was The Man From Hope, remember?

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:11 am

Good series with a good tale to tell, and lots of surprises and twists. Very entertaining.

And educational as well - Good buddy of mine had no idea that "redneck" could be considered a slur by some people.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:52 pm

Shorty wrote:Never heard of it. Is it netflix? Ozarks do sound like a nice place. Isn't that where Bill Clinton is from?

Clinton was born in Hope, which is not in any mountain range at all.

He grew up in Hot Springs, which is in the Ouachita mountains (often spelled Wichita in Oklahoma)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouachita_Mountains

The Ouachitas are unusual, since the ranges go E-W whereas most other ranges (including the Ozarks) go N-S.

I grew up in Fayetteville, Arkansas, which is in the Ozarks. Bill and Hillary Clinton both taught at the UA Law School. My father taught there as well.

Fayetteville is in the Ozarks, but being a college town, it doesn't really have the Ozark culture nearly to the extent of the rest of the Ozarks. I did know some true hillbillies there, some of whom were close friends of mine.

The Clinton family, to which Bill C was adopted, is a very large extended family that is quite prominent in Hot Springs, and, to a lesser extent, in Fayetteville. I only knew a couple of Bill's cousins. A friend of mine who lived in Hot Springs for a while said he constantly heard people refer to the future president as "cousin Bill". As in the place was crawling with Clintons and their kin.

Bill Clinton made a point of doing a lot for the hill people in Arkansas. He was quite proud that among his strongest supporters throughout his political career were the rural hill people.

And yes, the Ozarks can be quite beautiful. The most famous place in the Missouri Ozarks is, of course, Branson, which makes the Wisconsin Dells seem tame.

If you are ever in the Arkansas Ozarks, take a trip to Eureka Springs (which was the biggest real hillbilly town), stop by Thorncrown Chapel, designed by the second greatest Welsh-American architect ever to inhabit Taliesin, Faye Jones. Mr. Jones and his household were neighbors of ours, and the Jones family saved the life of one of my dogs twice, so I am rather partial to his memory. He also designed the first house Bill Clinton owned. I remember seeing him at the surprise birthday party thrown for Bill in 1978, which was mentioned in Bill's autobiography.

https://thorncrown.com/

Also, make sure to float the Buffalo River. My brother is actually one of the world's leading experts on the Buffalo River ecosystem. So it's interesting that I've floated that river with a big name expert, but he really doesn't know the twists and turns of the river as well as many of the locals.
https://www.buffaloriver.com/

The Buffalo was saved from damming by "the Governor", as the hill people referred to the Ozark born and bred Orval Faubus.

Stop by Blanchard Spring Cavern, fortunately on US government land. Absolutely beautiful.
http://www.blanchardsprings.org/

Near the caverns is the Ozark Cultural Center in Mountain View. I went there in the late 90s, and there were some old hill people there who had grown up in true hillbilly culture.
http://www.ozarkfolkcenter.com/

Some of them even had known Jimmy Driftwood, who was still alive at the time.

There is a folkd music festival in Mountain View every year. It was popularized by Jimmy Driftwood. Some of the old hillbillies I talked to in the late 90s never forgave him for bringing in hippies to the festival back in the 60s and 70s. Supposedly, one time someone went to that festival and saw Jimmy Driftwood playing a song "The Battle of New Orleans", which he took credit for writing (some of the hillbillies say he didn't write it).

The Johnny Horton version of the song was the #1 best selling record in the US in 1959.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_of_New_Orleans

Be very careful in the Ozarks of ticks and chiggers. My brother said that when he grew up, he thought of grass as poison.

I mean, bugs get really bad. I remember walking through a patch of the Ozarks back in the 70s to where a friend of mine was growing some marijuana, and every step we took we brushed ticks off our legs. It was entertaining afterwards when, stoned out of our minds, my Vista Cruiser broke down because of problems with a heat valve in the radiator, and we had three large dogs with us. We thought we were going to have to hitch hike through the Ozarks with our dogs.

The local gas station didn't have running water, so the guy who owned it went across the street to his land and pumped water to fill my radiator. He didn't know how to fix it, so he drove us to a trailer park to bang on the door of the local hillbillies who knew how to fix a car. They told us it was a busted heat valve, and to just keep on filling up the radiator. They didn't want any money from us, since they didn't have the parts and hadn't actually done anything. I think they finally agreed to accept a few dollars for their trouble. That is the way the hill people are. Poor, but willing to do anything to help out someone in need.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu May 10, 2018 1:16 pm

Paleo2 wrote:That is the way the hill people are. Poor, but willing to do anything to help out someone in need.

If you're white: probably. If you're black: maybe.

I've spent a lot of time in northern AR. Mountain Home, Bull Shoals, Flippin, Yellville, Harrison, Jasper, Mt Judea, Harriet, Big Flat, Norfork... sportbike heaven.

Chiggers can fuck right off. Nasty, itchy bites that last forEVer.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:27 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Paleo2 wrote:That is the way the hill people are. Poor, but willing to do anything to help out someone in need.

If you're white: probably. If you're black: maybe.

I've spent a lot of time in northern AR. Mountain Home, Bull Shoals, Flippin, Yellville, Harrison, Jasper, Mt Judea, Harriet, Big Flat, Norfork... sportbike heaven.

Chiggers can fuck right off. Nasty, itchy bites that last forEVer.

There have been some cases of bigotry in the Ozarks, sad to say.

A fellow named Gordon Morgan wrote a very interesting book about race relations in the Ozarks. How towns that used to be integrated suddenly became Sunset towns, as in no blacks allowed after sunset.

I knew Gordon Morgan’s son growing up.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:18 pm

Paleo2 wrote:Lots of good stuff.

I just got around to this thread. Thank you for taking the time to type that out. Very interesting read.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:56 am

john_titor wrote:
Paleo2 wrote:Lots of good stuff.

I just got around to this thread. Thank you for taking the time to type that out. Very interesting read.

Thanks

Return to “TV”