Alice Walker is now your crazy uncle

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?
Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Alice Walker is now your crazy uncle

Postby Weather Bob » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:08 am

During an interview with NYT Book Review, Alice Walker was asked about books that she'd recommend. She mentioned four, one of which was David Icke's "And the Truth Shall Set You Free".

https://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/277273 ... mitic-book

David Icke is a UK Holocaust denier and raving anti-semitic bigot.

I was hoping that this would turn out to be some kind of misunderstanding, but apparently Walker has been promoting Icke's work widely and enthusiastically for several years now ... including in 2015 sharing a YouTube video of David Icke and Alex Jones (the InfoWars guy).

Argh.

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Re: Alice Walker is now your crazy uncle

Postby Weather Bob » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:12 am

FWIW, Icke is quite the all-around wacko. From Wikipedia:

At the heart of Icke's theories lies the idea that the universe is made up of "vibrational" energy, and consists of an infinite number of dimensions that share the same space. He believes that an inter-dimensional race of reptilian beings called the Archons (or Anunnaki) have hijacked the earth, and that a genetically modified human/Archon hybrid race of shape-shifting reptilians, also known as the "Babylonian Brotherhood", the Illuminati, or the 'elite', manipulate global events to keep humans in constant fear so the Archons can feed off the 'negative energy' this creates. He claims many prominent figures belong to the Babylonian Brotherhood and are propelling humanity toward an Orwellian global fascist state, or New World Order, a post-truth era where freedom of speech is ended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke

JoeT
Forum Addict

Postby JoeT » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:31 pm

Hey Bob,

Thanks for posting this. I read the Walker interview on Sunday, but completely missed the reference to David Icke. Never heard of him before now. There is a long and complicated relationship between black writers and Jews from the writings of W.E.B. Du Bois and James Baldwin to Julius Lester (who later converted to Judaism). Alice Walker clearly breaks new ground on the blatantly anti-Semitic, Jewish domination conspiracy front. I had a look at some of the comments on Amazon regarding Icke's "And the Truth Shall Set You Free". It's rather frightening in that most of the comments were highly supportive of Icke. There were a few negative comments that were posted just this week, most likely because of the Walker interview. Needless to say, Icke is also a climate change denier of the Tim Ball conspiratorial persuasion. One can find his "lecture" on youtube, but I'm not going to post it here.

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi, Joe! I've heard of him a few times (I assumed it was one of his followers who wrote in the famous "Lizard People" comment on that spoiled ballot during the 2008 Franken/Coleman senate race...)

I hadn't heard that Icke is also nutty on the issue of climate change, but I find that completely unsurprising.

You're right about the complicated relationship there, and it actually runs right through the middle of Walker's own life, since her former husband was Jewish (their daughter's autobiography was titled "Black, White & Jewish: Autobiography of a Shifting Self"). My guess is there's some complicated psychology at work there.

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:57 pm

I have not been posting or even reading much lately on the climate-change topic. I should probably read more, I'm sure there is interesting science happening. From a purely attention-grabbing perspective things have gotten a bit boring, as it seems to have turned out pretty conclusively that science was correct and the deniers were wrong :) . So now it's just a matter of electing politicians who will listen to scientists instead of listening to lunatics.

JoeT
Forum Addict

Postby JoeT » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:49 pm

There is a lot that I find fascinating about climate science, to the point that I've started to relearn basic radiation transfer. And the politics and economics behind energy conversion from fossil fuels is quite interesting since how we get from 'here' to 'there' is still unclear.

But I wanted to pick up on what you said about complicated psychology, because I find this point to be an interesting topic all by itself. I spent some time a number of years ago trying to ask various academic scholars what the hell is up with Thomas Paine and his anti-Semitism. Ever read his "Age of Reason"? It's as vastly disappointing to go from Paine's "Agrarian Justice" to his "Age of Reason" as it is to go from Jefferson's "Statute for Religion Freedom" to the garbage he wrote in "Notes on Virginia" about blacks.

Age of Reason is one of the most viciously anti-Semitic books I have read. To give just one example, Paine refers to Jews as "a people who ... distinguished themselves above all others on the face of the known earth for barbarity and wickedness". Contrary to what some may write, AoR is an attack on the Jewish people, not just on religion, which I have no problem with at all. Paine's writings in AoR are almost the flip side of what he wrote in Common Sense where he applauds the Jewish people for their democratic and egalitarian credentials. The question I kept asking myself was why did this guy flip out? Since he wrote part of AoR while in prison during the French revolution, I tried to understand whether his misplaced hatred for Jews was somehow influenced by the actions of Robespierre. I never got a very satisfactory reply from the academics that I contacted.

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:53 pm

That's one of the most interesting posts I've read on here in a long time. Obviously I know who Paine was but I don't think I've ever read any of his writings. Wow. So his views about Judaism just completely turned around? Surely some historian must have covered this before.

It sounds like a superficially similar case to Walker, in that because they're held in such respect people kind of avert their eyes when they start writing stuff that would seriously damage someone else's reputation.

Just because Alice Walker turned into a crazy antisemite and conspiracy theorist in her old age doesn't make me think less of her earlier work ... at least I don't think it does ... but it would certainly change how I think of her as a public figure in 2018.

JoeT
Forum Addict

Postby JoeT » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks Bob, I appreciate it.

Your last paragraph concurs with my own thinking. That Walker is a nutcase now doesn't detract from the poignancy of "The Color Purple". But that she is a nutcase now shouldn't be swept under the rug.

I have a similar view of the Founders actually --- such as Paine. They all had feet of clay, especially Jefferson who alternately infuriates and inspires. Their greatness lies in how well their weaknesses were often, but not always, balanced by the strengths of their comrades-in-arms.

Return to “Books”