The Johnstown Flood

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?
frankiewhalen

The Johnstown Flood

Postby frankiewhalen » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:37 am

By David McCullough.
Several themes that are current today; excessive rain, people claiming to have expertise that they actually do not have, fake news, women taking charge of the recovery, the conflict between the haves vs. the have-nots.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Johnstown Flood

Postby Cadfael » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:24 pm

I remember reading the Reader's Digest condensed version when I was a teenager. Sometime in my twenties I found the hardcover in a yard sale and bought it to see what was different. I came away thinking they managed to get pretty much most of it right in the short version. The part I remember most clearly is the train engineer seeing the wall of water behind him, putting on full throttle downhill towards town and yanking the whistle in one long continuous scream, which is generally agreed to be the only warning the town got.

The image of the workers at the busted lake dam, after all the water had drained out, looking down the hill after it, then wading out into the mud to harvest all the fish that had been stocked by Dale Carnegie and his friends, also lingers in my mind.

Return to “Books”