"What happened" by Hillary

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2460
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: "What happened" by Hillary

Postby Bland » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:29 pm

penquin wrote:Srry...was trying to clarify myself at the same time you were asking me to do so.

How would you define "running for President"? 'cause that is a slippery definition and we wanna be on the same page with there being $$$ involved.

Huh?
What part of "running for President" is not clear?
You're obviously grasping for something. How about you just tell us what that is instead of trying to trap me or whatever it is you're doing? Because I don't know what the hell you're fishing for or what you think is ambiguous about the phrase "running for President."

penquin
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3068
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:19 pm
Contact:

No need to be a jerk about it, is there?

Postby penquin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Some would say that one must appear on the ballot in the general election in order to be considered "running for President", while others could say that simply appearing in at least one state's primary would qualify. Forming a Exploratory Committee is also be a strong indicator, and an argument could be made that appearances & fundraisers in certain key areas, like Iowa and New Hampshire, would show that a candidate is "running for Prez".

It's your game dude - don't get all whiny & weird just 'cause I wanna know your rules.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2460
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: "What happened" by Hillary

Postby Bland » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:48 pm

penquin wrote:don't get all whiny & weird

:roll:
I think the guy who is unclear what "running for President" means is the weird one, not me, but whatever.
Hillary Clinton will not announce she is running for President.
She will not appear on any ballots.
No party will endorse her.
She will not be a recognized candidate for President of the United States of America ever again.

Better?

penquin
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3068
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: What will happen to Hillary

Postby penquin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Bland wrote:I think the guy who is unclear what "running for President" means is the weird one, not me, but whatever.


I know what I mean by it, but was unclear what YOU meant by the phrase. Is it really that "weird" to you that someone else doesn't make an automatic assumption about your thoughts&beleifs?

Every example I gave is a valid point, and actually a strong argument could be made that she is "running for Prez" already. But put me down for $5 on your terms - you pay if she announces her desire to be in the Oval Office and I pay if she dies without doing so.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2460
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: What will happen to Hillary

Postby Bland » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:16 pm

penquin wrote:Is it really that "weird" to you that someone else doesn't make an automatic assumption about your thoughts&beleifs?

Not in every case but yep, in this one it sure is. Cuz running for President means running for President. It's a pretty specific thing. Most of the stuff you mention is just people thinking about it or putting out feelers or whatever. To run for President you have to declare your candidacy. There is paperwork to be filed. There are ballots to qualify for. Anything less is not really running for President at all no matter what ridiculous word games you wanna play. And no, there is absolutely no sense in saying she is "already running." That's an untrue statement. I mean by your goofy notions, Wagstaff's cat was actually running for President.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11193
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: "What happened" by Hillary

Postby gargantua » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:38 pm

I would prefer Stanley over the present incumbent.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8773
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek
Contact:

Re: "What happened" by Hillary

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:47 pm

gargantua wrote:I would prefer Stanley over the present incumbent.
Perhaps Prof.Wagstaff has a new "candidate" meow! :twisted:

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5942
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:31 am
Location: 53703

Re: "What happened" by Hillary

Postby Ducatista » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:31 pm

snoqueen wrote:I listened to a couple Hillary book promotion interviews and could hardly get through them. She's still in campaign mode, using that shouty voice (she's in a studio, not in front of a crowd, so she doesn't need to shout). She's still litigating, still blaming James Comey, still trying to convince herself she ran an airtight campaign. It's a bore and the country has moved on.

You mean it bores you, and you've moved on.

You really heard her trying to convince herself she ran an airtight campaign? The interview I heard sounded nothing like that. What I heard was a lot more like this:

gargantua wrote:From the excerpts I've read, it appears like she is taking responsibility for the loss, while also blaming other people and factors. Understandably, trying to have it both ways. Flounders pretty much nailed it down in the Why Did Hillary Lose? thread.

In fact, I had a similar thought — that it was Flounders' post in interview form.
 

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5942
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:31 am
Location: 53703

Re: "What happened" by Hillary

Postby Ducatista » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Bwis53 wrote:
gargantua wrote:I would prefer Stanley over the present incumbent.

Perhaps Prof.Wagstaff has a new "candidate" meow! :twisted:

I'd be grooming the Cutes right now, except I'm certain the country isn't ready for an all-black ticket.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8773
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek
Contact:

Re: "What happened" by Hillary

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Yeah, at least my best cat, Fuzz, knew how to make an entrance. He'd look right at you and say hi.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11091
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: "What happened" by Hillary

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Hey! Don't drag (the memory of) my sweet Stanley into your dopey argument!
Sadly, I have no new candidate to offer. When it took me a few months to fully pay Stan's final vet bill I realized it was probably not responsible for me to get another cat just now. Sucks being adult, doesn't it?

Personal to Hillary: Shhhhhhhhhhh. You should stop talking now.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3068
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: What will happen to Hillary

Postby penquin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Bland wrote:...running for President means running for President. It's a pretty specific thing. Most of the stuff you mention is just people thinking about it or putting out feelers or whatever. To run for President you have to declare your candidacy. There is paperwork to be filed. There are ballots to qualify for.


You say it is "a" pretty specific thing, yet you then go on to list "several" pretty specific things. Things that usually happen at totally different times, it should be added...

But for our purposes it will merely be enough that she announces she is running, correct? Or are you now saying that all of those steps you just mentioned must happen before YOU consider someone to be "running for Prez"? Your message keeps getting clouded by your 'tude and I want it to be clear when the time comes for you to pay up...

Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2460
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: "What happened" by Hillary

Postby Bland » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:44 pm

Yeah.....so....uh.... any non-insane person who doesn't need their hand held on the simplest of concepts want to bet with me? Because I'm through with penquin.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11193
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: "What happened" by Hillary

Postby gargantua » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Hey! Don't drag (the memory of) my sweet Stanley into your dopey argument!
Sadly, I have no new candidate to offer. When it took me a few months to fully pay Stan's final vet bill I realized it was probably not responsible for me to get another cat just now. Sucks being adult, doesn't it?

Personal to Hillary: Shhhhhhhhhhh. You should stop talking now.

I'm sorry. I did have a thought when I posted that it might be painful, and I should have heeded that thought.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11091
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: "What happened" by Hillary

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:35 pm

gargantua wrote:I'm sorry. I did have a thought when I posted that it might be painful, and I should have heeded that thought.

First of all, I wasn't really ever upset with anyone.
Secondly, my comment to not drag Stanley into this was directed at Bland, not you.
Third and most importantly, I love talking about Stanley. Anytime and always. He was the best.

I'm well-passed the weepy-overcome-with-sadness phase, so no worries.


Return to “Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest