So what are you reading?

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: So what are you reading?

Postby kurt_w » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:06 am

On the nonfiction side, "Leningrad: Siege and Symphony" by Brian Moynahan. As you'd guess from the title, it's about both the WWII siege of the city of Leningrad -- which was astonishing for its horror and its heroism -- and Shostakovich's composition of the 7th symphony, which depicted the city and the siege and was written during the war. More broadly it's about how Russia's finest city was battered and abused both by Hitler and by Stalin.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:09 am

Mostly "Where is Spot?" with an occasional dip into "Goodnight, Moon." Over and over and over and over.

Incidentally, did you know that Mr. Brown can moo?

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:31 pm

I've been revisiting my wonderful Complete New Yorker DVD archive. Currently I'm perusing Janet Malcolm's 1981 two-parter on psychoanalysis. Good stuff. Before that I read an amazing 1986 two-parter on the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh intentional community in Oregon. Holy moly, what a cluster that was. When I finished the piece, I immediately wanted to read it again.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:35 pm

Just started "The Stupidest Angel" by Christopher Moore. Got it as a gift last year and was saving it for the proper season. Funny quirky stuff and am enjoying it so far.

I read "Lamb" a while ago and liked it as well. Anyone able to point me to anything else by the author that really stands out?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Occasionally in between reading novels, I pull out my copy of" "Aint Nobody's Business if You Do - The Absurdity of Consentual Crime," and read a few pages.

It was recommended to me years ago my penquin. Not the kind of book you read cover to cover, but great to read.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:32 am

"The Life of Peter Tosh : Steppin' Razor" / by John Masouri. The first book-length biography of Peter Tosh I've been able to find. 2011's "The Natural Mystics" was a group bio of Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, and Bunny Wailer, but this is all focused on Tosh. Right up there with "People Funny Boy" (the bio of Lee 'Scratch' Perry) and the many editions and updates of "Catch a Fire" (Bob Marley bio) as far as reggae bios go.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:37 am

Finishing my third straight Discworld book. I read Color of Magic and Light Fantastic (books 1 and 2 in the series) and was advised to skip forward to Mort (4th book in the series) to start the second of the 3 main story lines in the 40 book series. The first two following Rincewald, Twoflower and the Luggage was great wacky fantasy satire skewering the fantasy world and the real one (most of us) live in. The Mort storyline has some of the same humor but is much more clever and serious-ish in it's take on time and the human existence as would be expected with Death and his apprentice as the central characters... I will have to give Pratchett a break though when this one is through but I'll definitely come back and digest a few more of the remaining 37 books. But not all of them.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:49 pm

Picked up at the library "Shotgun Lovesongs" by Nickolas Butler. Fiction about life on a farm near Eau Claire. Enjoying it.

MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby MPMay » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:37 pm

I'm in the midst of William Shirer's classic, "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich." A winner of the National Book Award.

I read almost exclusively non-fiction. I've had this for a time, never read it, and finally started it. What a great book! The writing is excellent and the story is horribly fascinating.

This is a continuation of my quest to read great history. Last year, I pulled another book from my shelf that I bought long ago and had not read, "The Guns of August" by Barbara Tuchman. A Pulitzer winner. If you have not read this book, you must. I am a slow reader and took this on vacation last August (the 100th anniversary of the start of WW 1, which the book recounts) and I devoured the thing in about 3 days. My wife kept asking if I wanted to do anything other than read that damn book.

"Not yet."

At 1,000 pages, about twice the size of Tuchman's masterpiece, I suspect Shirer's book will be more challenging, but equally satisfying. I'm about 1/3 through it.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:00 am

The Beatles, "Anthology"

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:20 am

Jim Butcher's "The Aeronaut’s Windlass."

And I don't feel one damn bit guilty about it.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:29 am

MPMay wrote:I'm in the midst of William Shirer's classic, "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich." A winner of the National Book Award.
I read almost exclusively non-fiction. I've had this for a time, never read it, and finally started it. What a great book! The writing is excellent and the story is horribly fascinating.
This is a continuation of my quest to read great history. Last year, I pulled another book from my shelf that I bought long ago and had not read, "The Guns of August" by Barbara Tuchman. A Pulitzer winner. If you have not read this book, you must. I am a slow reader and took this on vacation last August (the 100th anniversary of the start of WW 1, which the book recounts) and I devoured the thing in about 3 days. My wife kept asking if I wanted to do anything other than read that damn book.
"Not yet."
At 1,000 pages, about twice the size of Tuchman's masterpiece, I suspect Shirer's book will be more challenging, but equally satisfying. I'm about 1/3 through it.

Is that the book in which Shirer posits that it was a surprise that Germany made antisemitism a national policy before France? Shirer also wrote books about France between the wars, so maybe I'm thinking of another of his works. given recent revelations from newly available Russian, German, and other archives, some of what Tuchman wrote in Guns is no longer considered valid. Take the whole "Schlieffen plan" business for example: recent research casts doubt on its very existence as a possible strategy let alone as a master plan underlying Germany's war aims. Have you read Tuchman's The Proud Tower? It covers the period from 1870 until 1914. It's a long one, too, but has a lot of great stuff about the personalities of the time like Tsar "Foxy" Ferdinand of Bulgaria and the Montenegrin princesses who married into the Romanov family and eventually introduced Rasputin to Russian society.

I'm finishing reading Brothas Be, Yo Like George, Ain't That Funkin' Kinda Hard on You?, George Clinton's memoir. The ghostwriter (Ben Greenman) has tidied up George's grammar noticeably, but the details are still there, like being completely blitzed on freebase when he spontaneously came up with "Atomic Dog" in the studio.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:59 am

The Women, T. C. Boyle. Bought it at the Taliesin visitor center after a tour. I don't know how it would read if you haven't toured Taliesin, but it's great fun if you have.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:21 pm

Doctorow's: 'Little Brother' & 'Homeland'
Stauber & Rampton's: 'Weapons of Mass Deception'.
The next lock by David Lagercrantz
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/a ... -interview
Pay attention.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:39 am

I haven't read it - yet.
But I have been voluntold to read this by the young'lings:
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2005/j ... anreview13

Return to “Books”