So what are you reading?

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: So what are you reading?

Postby Ducatista » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:56 pm

Reading? Pft. We're in Trump's America now.

But I am listening to the audiobook version of The Butchering Art: Joseph Lister’s Quest to Transform the Grisly World of Victorian Medicine. Lister is known as the father of modern surgery. He was the first to apply germ theory to the care of surgical patients, and pioneered antiseptic technique.

Great story, highly recommended.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:12 am

i am a cat

kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby kissyfish » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:29 pm

A bunch of Louis Lamour short stories.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:21 am

"Robert A. Heinlein - In Dialogue With His Century Volume I" by William H. Patterson Jr

Cornelius Gotchberg
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornelius Gotchberg » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:56 am

"Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign'' by Jonathan Allen & Amie Parnes.

Hillarity collapses under the considerable weight of her manifest criminality!

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:05 am

Cornelius Gotchberg wrote:"Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign'' by Jonathan Allen & Amie Parnes.

I recently read that as well, but don't recall anything about criminal behavior being discussed in that book. Did you have any specific incidents in mind?

Cornelius Gotchberg
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornelius Gotchberg » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:23 am

penquin wrote:
Cornelius Gotchberg wrote:"Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign'' by Jonathan Allen & Amie Parnes.

I recently read that as well, but don't recall anything about criminal behavior being discussed in that book. Did you have any specific incidents in mind?

@Penquin;

The book did not depict manifest criminality as such, but only because it went to print too soon.

But subsequent revelations show beyond a shadow of a doubt (to me, leastways) that during the campaign, gross ethical violations were breached: hiring Christopher Steele, filing false campaign finance reports, violating campaign finance law, the DNC fiasco, screwing Bernie Sanders, etc.

I'm convinced someday there'll be a 500 level Political Science class on the exceptionally poorly run 2008 Hillarity campaign.

2016 is worthy of advanced degree work.

The Gotch

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:11 am

God's Red Son is about the Ghost Dance Religion that swept through various western tribes in the late 1800s. The history of the Ghost Dance is a lot more complicated than Indians seeking a return to the "old ways," which couldn't happen because of a degraded resource base. For one, in Indian cultures, men and women didn't dance together. The ghost dance was gender inclusive, and included whites, particularly Mormons, in some communities. The religion, or at least many of it's practices and some of its theology, survived the Wounded Knee Massacre, and later was subsumed into evangelical movments.

npler
Forum Addict

Postby npler » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:23 pm

I just finished reading the Clinton, Bush 43, Obama biographies and Trump's book back-to-back, and I liked the Obama one best.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:35 am

I'm listening to Endurance: My Year in Space, A Lifetime of Discovery by Scott Kelly. Kelly spent a year on the ISS while his identical twin, Mark (also an astronaut), stayed home as control subject in the NASA Twins Study.

I usually listen to music while I row, but this book makes it easy to pile on the meters. Recommended if you're even remotely interested in space travel (or general science, for that matter).

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:53 pm

"The story of my boyhood and youth", by John Muir.

This is a really well-written book. It covers the period from growing up in Scotland, moving to Wisconsin at 11, up to starting at UW.

A fun read, and very touching in parts.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:36 pm

Muir's wooden Rube Goldberg-like device for keeping time and opening up his text books used to be in the State Historical Society Building on campus. Anyone know if it is still there on display?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:27 pm

Yes it's still there. It's only partly that machine, though. If you spend a LOT of time evaluating the mechanism you end up thinking that it couldn't possibly work.

Turns out, it's more than one machine. Mostly it's the timekeeping and book-opening/closing machine but it's also one or maybe two others, and no one was quite sure what the others were. Most likely they were clocks because he made a number of those. They were in the attic at his family's place and were donated to UW after he died, and assembled by a couple of historian/engineers who realized it was more than one machine and none of them were complete. So they put them all together as best they could with the goal of showing his handiwork and mechanics. It's a beautiful piece. But it'll never work again. :-)

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:16 pm

You really should read the book.

"I got up 1am [5 hours before my 14 hours of farm work] and yadda yadda yadda I built a clock".

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:41 pm

DCB wrote:You really should read the book.

"I got up 1am [5 hours before my 14 hours of farm work] and yadda yadda yadda I built a clock".

I remember reading that quote or one like it. :-)

I've seen drawings of clocks he built when he was a student here. That guy could do some whittlin'.

Is that the book where he talks about spreading his arms and riding an avalanche down a mountain? I think that was after his stint at UW but with him I never know.

Return to “Books”